Galveston Hotels - Advice Needed

LisaH

We live in Plano and are cruising out of Galveston for the first time on May 8th on Carnival Breeze (2nd time on ship). We were supposed to cruise on the Magic this weekend but I had an orthopedic injury at the time payment was due so we had to cancel.

So, the hotels in Galveston are quite pricey which is fine with me. I booked two nights at Hilton Galveston Resort as it would not let me book one night. Does this hotel have a two night minimum? The same thing happened when we were originally booked. Oh well, we will consider other options. We also have relatives in The Woodlands so we could spend the night there and drive into Galveston Sunday morning.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by LisaH

Okay, I just booked Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach for one night pre-cruise. The Four Points Sheraton had very mixed reviews. For one night, the Holiday Inn will certainly suffice.

I still welcome any input!

You might want to check on the Marriott Galveston Island Gulf Front. I stayed there a couple of years ago and was pleased. Newish, underground parking and shuttle service to the ship.

Thanks, will check it out!

Holiday Inn Resort and Hilton are both owned by Landry along with SanLuis . Go with HIR . All three are next door to one another.

Great to know! Thanks. I have cancelled the Hilton - too expensive and would only let me book two nights.

We live in Plano and are cruising out of Galveston for the first time on May 8th on Carnival Breeze (2nd time on ship). We were supposed to cruise on the Magic this weekend but I had an orthopedic injury at the time payment was due so we had to cancel.

So, the hotels in Galveston are quite pricey which is fine with me. I booked two nights at Hilton Galveston Resort as it would not let me book one night. Does this hotel have a two night minimum? The same thing happened when we were originally booked. Oh well, we will consider other options. We also have relatives in The Woodlands so we could spend the night there and drive into Galveston Sunday morning.

Thanks for any input!

Better hotels doubled in price over last couple of years, we have had a few threads on this, I used to stay in Hilton for about 120 for 1 night, now its double plus 2 night stay is needed. So now we stay at Doubletree at Hobby ( nice hotel, restaurant, pool, lounge/bar) for 109 a night before the cruise

I am very amazed at the hotel prices for 9/9/16. This is right after Labor Day weekend so I thought the prices would be way less. Also amazed at the airfare from DFW to HOU. I know that I am 7 months away from sailing so hopefully that is why the prices are so high. If they don't go down we will have to drive to Galveston and probably stay in Houston overnight. Hate driving but to save hundreds of dollars it will be worth it.

I am very amazed at the hotel prices for 9/9/16. This is right after Labor Day weekend so I thought the prices would be way less. Also amazed at the airfare from DFW to HOU. I know that I am 7 months away from sailing so hopefully that is why the prices are so high. If they don't go down we will have to drive to Galveston and probably stay in Houston overnight. Hate driving but to save hundreds of dollars it will be worth it.

Galveston is a destination - 50 miles from Houston and is a draw year around.

There are many events/conventions, etc. during the year that bring many visitors to the island and there are only so many hotel rooms.

As far as the airport, Houston with 6 million plus is also a business City. There is no "off" season when it comes to air travel.

The Southwest flights for 9/9 will be available on 2/18 for DAL to HOU. Don't know if you'll find them cheaper than DFW flights.