Help with flight times

Mikeyman63

My wife and I arrive in Seattle on May 16 2016 after a 24 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas from Sydney Australia. I had booked a flight from SeaTac airport to Vancouver so we could embark on a 8 night cruise with Carnival Legend to Alaska. I was advised this morning that our flight time with Alaska Air has changed to a departure time of 10am (previous flight time was 1145). As Explorer of the seas doesn't arrive until 6am, is this flight time cutting it fine to get to the airport. If I was to change my flights, what should I choose... 1120am with Delta, arrive Vancouver at 1216pm, or 1245pm and arrive at 1335 with Air Canada. Carnival Legend leaves at 400pm the same day we arrive in Seattle.

Depends on your comfort level, so here are the considerations:

- either pier to SeaTac is a 1/2 hr drive, but allow 1 hour due to traffic, road construction, city events, etc.

- for a domestic flight you should be at the airport 1 1/2 hrs prior to departure

So backing into that....you need to leave the pier by 7:30am to make a 10am flight. If you can guarantee stepping off the ship by 7:30am, book the 10am flight.

Personally, I'd go for the 11:20 flight.

Edited by mapleleaves

Either way, you are cutting it close. Book the 10:00 am flight, and you have little room for any delays getting off the ship. Book one of the later flights, and you will be cutting it close on the other end getting into Vancouver. What if your flight is delayed? Honestly, it sounds like a pretty stressful day to me. I think a one way car rental might make a lot of sense.

I think the 11:20 flight should be okay. It looks like your cruise stops in Hawaii immediately before Seattle, so you shouldn't have to worry about immigration on arrival in Seattle, which will save some time. May 16 is also a Monday, not a heavy cruise day (and it's the beginning of the season anyway) so you shouldn't have a lot of cruise pax at the airport either.

I'd try for the earliest disembarkation possible and look for a taxi pronto; I think you'll be fine.

Could always check the shuttle or Amtrak schedules Seattle to Vancouver. Or rent a car.
Another vote to also check with Greyhound and Quick Shuttle schedules...

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm (4 daily shuttles in the winter, but 6 to 7 shuttles in the summer.)

You are very brave to plan a cruise arrival in Seattle and a cruise departure in Vancouver the same day. I would have scheduled a few days between cruises to enjoy the area.

I have never used them.... but I found this service that goes between Seattle and Vancouver. You might want to give them a call for a Seattle cruise terminal pickup to Vancouver. Research closely the number of passengers and luggage that can fit in one vehicle... you might need something larger.

http://www.ridebooker.com/transfers/seattle/vancouver/taxi

Edited by xlxo

Another thought.... how comfortable do you feel your ship will arrive in Seattle on time after going Trans pacific? I remember my 2 day cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco was 4 hours late from rough waves. A lot of people were upset with their flights.

We usually rent a car either at Canada Place or in Seattle and drive - It is a great drive up there - No TSA, just going through the border crossing into or out of Canada. If you rent in Seattle, you can drop off at Canada Place and get on the cruise ship. Alamo Car Rental has rentals at Canada Place.

To clarify on car rentals at Canada Place....

• agreed.... Alamo is my preferred car rental
  • National is partnered with Alamo at Canada Place for drop off's
  • Enterprise share a lot with Alamo the Pan Pacific above the cruise terminal
  • Hertz has a location at the nearby Pacific Rim. They like watching cruisers drag their luggage 3 blocks to the cruise terminal.
  • Avis has a shuttle from their Hornby location to the cruise terminal. They like watching passengers waiting for the shuttle.
  • Vancouver is a compact city, other car rentals are accessible by an affordable taxi ride. However you might want to request a Pan Pacific drop off between 11:30am and 1pm to avoid being trapped in the queue with the meter running.
  • confirm you are able to take a vehicle across the border, confirm you are allowed to drop off a vehicle at the cruise terminal as parking is limited.
  • book early (months) if you want those luggage friendly minivan's. Love 8 passenger SUV's, but they can be difficult to drive in those tight corners around the cruise terminal.
  • be prepared for strange turns around downtown Vancouver now that they introduced bike lanes.
  • check out the price of GPS with rental cars... might be cheaper to bring your own.