Things to do at the Pier

At Sea 4Ever

What is directly at the pier or of walking distance? Will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas and wondering if there is anything to do or see when you get off the ship. Any comments are appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is directly at the pier or of walking distance? Will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas and wondering if there is anything to do or see when you get off the ship. Any comments are appreciated!

I am also interested in the answer of this question!

There is not a lot of stuff, but you can always make your own fun. We have been there twice and both times we walked to the fish market. You go straight off the ship about 5 blocks, I think it's called market street, take a right (when your back is to the water) walk about 10 minutes and you will see the bus station. The fish market is behind the bus market. It is pretty cool to see those colorful fish being sorted and weighted for sale. They didn't seem to mind that we were there looking. Here is a very short video I took there.

We also have found a grocery store and have bought a lot of spices to take home with us. If you are at the fish market, with your back to the market you will see some trees, behind the trees is the grocery store. As of Jan 2013 there was a big kraft cheese sign or something to help you see it. You can't take backpacks in, so be prepared for one person to stand by the door if you have back packs.

Along the way to the fish market you will see a huge market with a big green roof. It is pretty cool to walk thru, a farmers market that caters more to the locals than the tourists. I wish we could have brought stuff back!

If you go to the fish market, go in the morning, that is when the fishermen come back.

We have both times taken a quick taxi ride to Fort James Beach. I believe it was around 6$pp each way. Fort James is a secluded beach, at one end is the ruins of Fort James, at the other end is a bar where you can rent chairs get a drink etc. The beach is all sand, so not the best snorkeling, but great for swimming, wading, or walking along. I just love to bob in the water. Here are a few videos of Fort James Beach

My husbands video is the first one, the other two shaky ones are mine. :D

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have any recommendations? I am debating if I should do a tour or not, but I usually just like to walk around a bit near where the ship docks. I have developed some mobility issues in the last couple of years. I can walk, even fairly quickly, but cant be on my legs for more than 15, 20 mins max without having pain. Still, I would hate to have to stay on the ship. Are there no shops where the ship docks? Thanks for any info.

Yes, loads of shops right where the ship docks. All waiting for you with the usual selection of tourist merchandise. Other than that, St. John's doesn't have anything else within walking distance, other than the market as mentioned and that might be Saturdays only, not sure. The cathedral is closed for renovations and has been for quite some time. This is a destination where a taxi is required to go somewhere.

DougYWG, thanks for that info. I think that this is where I will be booking a tour, my other destinations are San Juan and St Martin, and I have been there before so know where to go and what to do. Same for Nassau. But have not been to Antigua, so I should do a tour here and see the island. I can still hit the tourist shops on the way back to the ship:) Thanks for the info.

DougYWG, thanks for that info. I think that this is where I will be booking a tour, my other destinations are San Juan and St Martin, and I have been there before so know where to go and what to do. Same for Nassau. But have not been to Antigua, so I should do a tour here and see the island. I can still hit the tourist shops on the way back to the ship:) Thanks for the info.

Or you could walk to the busstation beside the fishmarket mentioned above, Bus 17 brings you for less than 2 US-Dollars to "Nelson's Dockyard" (and back the same way, both "stations" are the terminal stations of the line).

That's nice and quite easy to do on your own, instead of booking an

expensive tour. (at least if you like to do something on land; if you like to do a tour with a boat then it might be something else)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...