Kauai (Nawiliwili) Port

Catlade

Hello, I will be on POA leaving 3/29/2014. Our last day in Kauai we will be departing at 2PM so I don't want to try to book a tour for that day. Could anyone please tell me if there is shopping or anything interesting within walking distance of pier ? Any info is greatly appreciated !

We stayed at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club last month. It's right near to the pier. We watched cruise ships come and go from our lanai.

When you're docked, look inland to your right. You'll see the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. Directly to the left of the resort is indeed a lot of restaurants in two small strip malls on both sides of the street. There are also a few shops in each. Both strip malls are about a 3 to 4 block walk from the ship. A very easy walk.

Not that you need the street names, but Waapa Road is right in front of the pier. Follow it to your right. Keep going right and work your way towards the resort. Over a 15-minute walk, this road will change names to Kanoa Road then Wilcox Road then Nawiliwili Road, back to Waapa then finally Rice. The name seems to change about every short block. Rice is where the two strip malls are. (You might not even notice the name changes, and it really doesn't matter anyway. I guarantee you can't get lost). I really just include this information because I find it humorous.

The strip mall to your right as you're walking up the road is Anchor Cove and it has an ABC Store, a Crazy Shirts store, Tropic Isle Music Company, a jewelry store, JJ's Broiler (Sports Bar), and another restaurant (with a bar/coffee house that serves a good breakfast by day and sushi at night), and a few other stores.

The strip mall another block up on your left is Harbor Mall which is mostly bars and restaurants but does have at least one fun shop to browse. Harbor Mall also offers a free trolley shuttle for cruise ship passengers. The restaurants and bars include: The Feral Pig, Fil-Mart (Filipino food), Gingbua: (Thai food), Halo Halo Corner (Hawaiian Shave Ice), Kalapaki Joes (Sports Bar), Mariachi's (Mexican), Put It In A Pita (Greek food truck beside the Nawiliwili Stream next to the mall), Rocco's Pizza, Splash Café (Crepes and sandwiches). Shops include Beachrail Hobby & Collectibles (cool store, worth the browse), Elite Hunters Hunting Shop, Kauai Island Treasures, and a few others.

When you're done with the strip malls, walk over to the Marriott. They have a gorgeous beach (Kalapaki Beach). All beaches are public in Hawaii. You can rent some ocean sports gear there. Chairs and umbrella's are also available for rent. You can also whale watch from the hotel, and probably the back of the ship too. We saw lots of whale activity in Nawiliwili Bay.

If you want to share a rental car or taxi, there are 4 small shopping centers and malls not too far away: Lihue Shopping Center, Rice Shopping Center, Kukui Grove Shopping Center (with a separate Costco and K-Mart nearby), and the Kuhio Mall Shopping Center. There is also a Wal-Mart a little further inland from the Lihue Shopping Center. You'll not want to attempt to walk to any of these, but they're all less than 10-15 minutes by car.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

Marriott Kauai Beach Club is worth a stroll. It has opulent architecture, beautiful gardens, a koi pond (with public feeding times), a parrot, a huge pool (resort guests only) and the previously mentioned beach. If you want to golf, they share a resort golf course with another Marriott directly to the north.

The Marriott also has a couple of restaurants: Dukes (great local food with beers on tap), and Cafe Portofino (Italian). Both are open to the public and easy to locate beachside.

We sailed the POA in July 2013. To add to the chorus recommending Kalapaki Beach, our group took paddleboarding and/or surfing lessons with the Kauai Beach boys, located right at the beach (which is less than a ten minute walk from the ship). They were very kind to totally uncoordinated me. They were a little surprised that my nephew took to surfing so well. All they heard was Pennsylvania. They understood more when they heard "snowboard".

Happy cruising,

el henry

We stayed at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club last month. It's right near to the pier. We watched cruise ships come and go from our lanai.

When you're docked, look inland to your right. You'll see the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. Directly to the left of the resort is indeed a lot of restaurants in two small strip malls on both sides of the street. There are also a few shops in each. Both strip malls are about a 3 to 4 block walk from the ship. A very easy walk.

Not that you need the street names, but Waapa Road is right in front of the pier. Follow it to your right. Keep going right and work your way towards the resort. Over a 15-minute walk, this road will change names to Kanoa Road then Wilcox Road then Nawiliwili Road, back to Waapa then finally Rice. The name seems to change about every short block. Rice is where the two strip malls are. (You might not even notice the name changes, and it really doesn't matter anyway. I guarantee you can't get lost). I really just include this information because I find it humorous.

The strip mall to your right as you're walking up the road is Anchor Cove and it has an ABC Store, a Crazy Shirts store, Tropic Isle Music Company, a jewelry store, JJ's Broiler (Sports Bar), and another restaurant (with a bar/coffee house that serves a good breakfast by day and sushi at night), and a few other stores.

The strip mall another block up on your left is Harbor Mall which is mostly bars and restaurants but does have at least one fun shop to browse. Harbor Mall also offers a free trolley shuttle for cruise ship passengers. The restaurants and bars include: The Feral Pig, Fil-Mart (Filipino food), Gingbua: (Thai food), Halo Halo Corner (Hawaiian Shave Ice), Kalapaki Joes (Sports Bar), Mariachi's (Mexican), Put It In A Pita (Greek food truck beside the Nawiliwili Stream next to the mall), Rocco's Pizza, Splash Café (Crepes and sandwiches). Shops include Beachrail Hobby & Collectibles (cool store, worth the browse), Elite Hunters Hunting Shop, Kauai Island Treasures, and a few others.

When you're done with the strip malls, walk over to the Marriott. They have a gorgeous beach (Kalapaki Beach). All beaches are public in Hawaii. You can rent some ocean sports gear there. Chairs and umbrella's are also available for rent. You can also whale watch from the hotel, and probably the back of the ship too. We saw lots of whale activity in Nawiliwili Bay.

If you want to share a rental car or taxi, there are 4 small shopping centers and malls not too far away: Lihue Shopping Center, Rice Shopping Center, Kukui Grove Shopping Center (with a separate Costco and K-Mart nearby), and the Kuhio Mall Shopping Center. There is also a Wal-Mart a little further inland from the Lihue Shopping Center. You'll not want to attempt to walk to any of these, but they're all less than 10-15 minutes by car.

Great information, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree totally with Carribean Bound - the short walk from where the cruise ship berths (we were on Pride of America back then) will bring to a lovely rectangular shaped beach, with a Marriot Hotel, and of course a Dukes Restaurant for a meal or drinks, I think I had a lava rock beer ( a nice red colour), and dear wife had a cocktail. We swam at this beach. There is a grassed area with coconut palms just before the sand beach, and it has softest green grass I have ever come across.

There are shops for clothing etc, nearby.

I will never forget this little gem of a beach, so relaxing, and such nice swim.

After your cruise ship departs the port there, you will take in the Na Pali cliffs.

Go up to one of the higher decks, with a nice wine etc, and enjoy the beautiful coastline.

I agree totally with Carribean Bound - the short walk from where the cruise ship berths (we were on Pride of America back then) will bring to a lovely rectangular shaped beach, with a Marriot Hotel, and of course a Dukes Restaurant for a meal or drinks, I think I had a lava rock beer ( a nice red colour), and dear wife had a cocktail. We swam at this beach. There is a grassed area with coconut palms just before the sand beach, and it has softest green grass I have ever come across.

There are shops for clothing etc, nearby.

I will never forget this little gem of a beach, so relaxing, and such nice swim.

After your cruise ship departs the port there, you will take in the Na Pali cliffs.

Go up to one of the higher decks, with a nice wine etc, and enjoy the beautiful coastline.

Kalapaki Beach. http://www.kalapakibeach.org/

Beautiful beach!

We have just come back from a Hawaiian islands cruise on Norwegian Pride of America.

There is a lovely beach within walking distance, as well as Anchor mall (where there's an ABC store etc).

As mentioned by another poster, there are free shuttles/trolleys that goes to Anchor mall, Hilo Hatties and Kmart.

There is a free Hilo Hatties trolley on nearly each port.

Enjoy!!