Need Recommendation of Tour Company for Private Tour to Lamanai

CintiPam

My husband and I plan to go to the archaeological ruins Lamanai from Belize City on our port day in January but prefer to go with a private tour company. I would appreciate any recommendations of companies whom I should contact.

We are in port for 10 hours so I do not worry about missing the ship.

Frustrating to find no feedback on private tours to Laminai on this board. We have 10 hours in port so easily can do a six-hour tour but unsure with whom to book it.

So I am bumping my question up on this forum in the hopes of response. :)

In 2011 we did the Lamanai and River excursion on our Christmas cruise on Mariner of the Seas. We booked directly through the RC cruise line.

Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back. The tour guide used her Sat phone to contact our ship to let them know we would be late. As it turned out, we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship. I'm was very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. The ship would not have waited for us.

A word of caution. The ship will not leave you if an approved cruise line sponsored excursion has a problem that brings you back to the ship late. When you book a local tour, it becomes your responsibility to get back on time.

In 2011 we did the Lamanai and River excursion on our Christmas cruise on Mariner of the Seas. We booked directly through the RC cruise line.

Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back. The tour guide used her Sat phone to contact our ship to let them know we would be late. As it turned out, we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship. I'm was very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. The ship would not have waited for us.

A word of caution. The ship will not leave you if an approved cruise line sponsored excursion has a problem that brings you back to the ship late. When you book a local tour, it becomes your responsibility to get back on time.

Thanks for the warning, Jim. I understand because that is the case for all private tours from cruise ports, but we have quite a time cushion.

Edited by CintiPam

Have a wonderful time, to this day Lamanai remains as one of our most impressive tours, after Chitzen Itsa the day before this one was actually much more impressive.This is because such a small area has been reclaimed and you can see how they must have found it so many years ago.

Enjoy your trip.

Rosalyn

Thanks for the warning, Jim. I understand because that is the case for all private tours from cruise ports, but we have quite a time cushion.

This is a tender port, so it's not like others where you can simply walk back onboard the ship. According to one of the tour companies I've contacted, on the day we are in port (for example), the last tender to the ship is a couple hours BEFORE we are set to leave port! Just a head's up.

This is a tender port, so it's not like others where you can simply walk back onboard the ship. According to one of the tour companies I've contacted, on the day we are in port (for example), the last tender to the ship is a couple hours BEFORE we are set to leave port! Just a head's up.

That sounds like misinformation to me. However, in Belize, are the tenders supplied by the port?

Our cruise ship always provides a last tender 30 minutes before sailing.

Edited by CintiPam

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looking forward to your report. We sail in mid-January.

As promised i am back with my report.

We booked through island marketing. i'll put the link below.

The excursion was great, i was super nervous about missing the ship on the way back and almost cancelled to go through the Cruise line. In the end i took the the risk and I am glad i did.

The tour started off with a bus ride through the country side, it took about an hour but it went quick, our guide (Wentworth) gave us a History lesson about Belize and let us ask him a thousand questions. We then had a quick lunch, just some chicken rice and planatains, but it was good. Then off to a 45min boat ride along the new river. This part was a lot of fun, you go pretty fast and take some tight turns along a river that gets pretty narrow along some parts. The ruins are pretty impressive there are several large pyramids and lots of smaller structures.

It was well worth the $75

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

feel free to ask me any questions. I can talk about this trip all day.

Edited by ElCiego

The excursion was great, i was super nervous about missing the ship on the way back and almost cancelled to go through the Cruise line. In the end i took the the risk and I am glad i did.

The tour started off with a bus ride through the country side, it took about an hour but it went quick, our guide (Wentworth) gave us a History lesson about Belize and let us ask him a thousand questions. We then had a quick lunch, just some chicken rice and planatains, but it was good. Then off to a 45min boat ride along the new river. This part was a lot of fun, you go pretty fast and take some tight turns along a river that gets pretty narrow along some parts. The ruins are pretty impressive there are several large pyramids and lots of smaller structures.

Thanks so much for your excellent report. Glad you enjoyed it. There have been so many positive reports on this excursion that we really are looking forward to our day in Belize.

Edited by CintiPam

cintipam- it is my pleasure. I hope you enjoy your excursion. don't let the treacherous climb stop you from getting to the top of the "High Pyramid" the view from the top is amazing. The Pyramid is just aobve the tree canopy, you have a great 360 degree view from there.

cintipam- it is my pleasure. I hope you enjoy your excursion. don't let the treacherous climb stop you from getting to the top of the "High Pyramid" the view from the top is amazing. The Pyramid is just aobve the tree canopy, you have a great 360 degree view from there.

I will start the climb up at least!:)

Just saw you were at Nachi Cocum; we also have booked a day there.

You are going to Nachi cocoum too!! that is great. If you did some scuba diving in roatan you would be doing all the exact same excursions.

Have a great trip, i am envious of all the fun you will have.

No scuba for us. Trying to decide between touring with Rony's or Victor Bodden tours for the day. Would like to see a bit of the island, the monkeys and then a nice relaxing beach.

• 1 month later...

How far in advance did you book your tour? I will be in Belize on Jan 21 and have tried booking with Island Marketing and they tell me that tours have not been scheduled yet for that day and that they would email me. Today, I booked a tour for Roatan for Jan 22 through them. I have used them before and love their tours

• 4 weeks later...