Smartphone use at sea, especially texting

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

I have cruised a bit but still don't have a good handle on the phone and tablet/computer use at sea. I've simply turned off my smartphone when I got on the ship and didn't use it until I got off the ship. However, I was wondering what happens if I DO use it on the ship to text, or it will even work for texting on the ship. If it matters, I'm from the U.S., will be traveling in Atlantic Canada and the U.S., and I have T-Mobile.

As you have cruised a fair amount, looking around Cruise Critic would be very beneficial. Plans vary a little, but is commonly reported texting is 50 cents to send, 5 cents to receive.

The thing that confuses me is how you can text, but not receive phone calls...which can be very expensive. Data roaming can be turned off, but texting and phone calls are the same system.

Smart/cell phone issues seem to be changing by the day :). We could tell you what they did on HAL a few weeks ago, Celebrity a few weeks ago, etc. but that does not mean its what happens today. So these days, one needs to check the current policy and options before each and every cruise.

Hank

If you are connected to wireless, you can use the WhatsApp app to text. The other person(s) must also be connected to wireless in order to receive your texts. WhatsApp works off wireless and does not use any of your data. You should also make sure that your cellular data and roaming are turned off.

Edited by brunello22