backpacks at Colosseum

piper

16796071532_ac24c0ac0a_c.jpg

No Backpacks in this Picture:rolleyes:

I personally had my backpack on me, my mother had her cross body bag on her and my daughter had her large canvas purse that held her camera and accessories with her.

Edited by bugeater2

June 2014.

Looks like on January 15, 2015 they made the rule change. Only small purses are allowed now.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.:o

"On January 15th, less than a week after the events in France, it was announced that, effective immediately, bulky handbags, all backpacks, and luggage would no longer be allowed inside the monument, nor can they be taken into the Roman Forum or the Palatine Hill. Small purses and bags will be opened and inspected before going into these sites so even with a skip-the-line ticket, visitors may still end up waiting in a security line."

Link

Edited by bugeater2

Still not quite sure how long these restrictions will be in effect. Easy to manage in January - Early May but this will be whole different animal during the summer travel season.

I'm interested to see if they keep this up once the numbers of travelers from around the world increases and more and more of them show up with backpacks.

The only reason I wore mine was to carry the 4 litres of water for our little group of 3 people. It's easy now while it's 50-60 degrees, borderline dangerous when it's 95 degrees and there are not a lot water fountains inside.

Just double-checked my photos. We had no issue bringing backpacks, crossbody bags, purses, etc. into the Colosseum. We were there February 12, 2015. If I remember correctly, they did ask us to open our bags for them as we went through security check but waved us through afterwards.

In reference to the picture with the backpacks - they are all the same backpack......anyone else notice that?

That usually indicates that it is a tour group, where the operator has provided a backpack as a giveaway. I still have mine from 1986!

We were just in Rome at the colosseum mid-feb 2015. We were told to only bring small purses no backpacks...well, there were tons of people with backpacks. To be safe just carry a smaller purse so if they get serious about no backpacks you won't be turned away.

Amy

Trip Advisor reports that no backpacks allowed and people have left their backpacks on the ground outside the Colosseum. Think it depends upon who is on security the day you go. To be safe I would leave your backpack at hotel. A small purse looks like it would be acceptable.