Taking baby, gifts for next door cabins?

Raabit98

We are cruising with our 8 month old in a couple weeks, it will be her first cruise but we have gone on many. She is very mild mannered, but you never know how a baby will travel until you go, so other than a few sets of ear plugs, just in case, what would you include as a little gift bag for our neighboring cabins? Am I over thinking this? Should I just not worry about it? She rarely cries, and settles pretty fast when she does... I just thought it might be a nice gesture.

If I'm spending a few grand on a cruise and I'm up because a baby is crying next door, or trying to relax on my balcony because the baby next door is screaming, and the parent gives me a gift bag to thank me for my patience, I'm going to be pissed off. Sort of like sorry for messing with your vacation, hope this makes up for it. It won't. I understand why you might do that in an apartment building when you have no choice but ot have some loud nights when sleep training, but on a vacation, you do what it takes to keep your kid well behaved. On the cruises we've been on I don't even remember seeing my neighbors much. I'll be cruising with a 2 and 4 year old, if we have a loud night, I'll be avoiding the neighbors, not knocking on their door with gifts. Although I do like the idea of buying drinks

I think you're overthinking it as well, even though it is a nice gesture! :) We sailed when our son was 10 months old and he had a few screaming fits at night, but we quickly tended to him and got him to quiet down. No one ever complained about him and we never saw our neighbors. We let him sleep in bed with us because it kept him quiet (I don't think he liked being in a strange crib). Just go with the flow and don't let the stress of ruining someone else's vacation ruin yours! :p

If the screaming lasts more than five minutes (and I know it sure can), the best thing you can do for your neighbors is to put the baby in a stroller and go walk around one of the public decks until he quiets down. Inconvenient for you, but it is your baby. DGD was a screamer and we were uninvited to many family functions because she was so disruptive. She did develop strong lungs and is now a flute player.

Make sure there is no connecting door and if there is asked to be moved to another cabin. You can hear between the cabins and we have been annoyed by others and one time my neighbor asked us to be quieter because they could hear my son's high pitched voice. Not that we were yelling or crying. I was so embarrassed and it put a damper on our trip because we felt that we had to whisper after that.

As for the baby- I think the only time the child might cry is while you are showering them off. Babies sometimes don't like that if they aren't used to that. I would get the baby used to showering with you now- so they aren't freaked out.

Make sure there is no connecting door and if there is asked to be moved to another cabin. You can hear between the cabins and we have been annoyed by others and one time my neighbor asked us to be quieter because they could hear my son's high pitched voice. Not that we were yelling or crying. I was so embarrassed and it put a damper on our trip because we felt that we had to whisper after that.

Rebeccalouiseagain is so right. On our 2011 cruise we could hear the neighbors even when they talked normal level, and the poor man next door was sick some of the time and we could hear him coughing in the cabin. It also made us talk softer too.

I think you're definitely over thinking. We will be sailing in June with an 18 month old. He's a fairly easy baby and I don't anticipate any issues but if he does start acting up I'll do my best to comfort him and if that doesn't work, I would just take him for a little walk in his stroller and hope that will calm him. I think by giving them a gift you are just drawing attention to yourself which could backfire as then they may pay more closer attention to any noise that may come from your stateroom. I really wouldn't worry to much about it. Unless the child has a complete screaming meltdown, they shouldn't hear a thing. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are cruising with our 8 month old in a couple weeks, it will be her first cruise but we have gone on many. She is very mild mannered, but you never know how a baby will travel until you go, so other than a few sets of ear plugs, just in case, what would you include as a little gift bag for our neighboring cabins? Am I over thinking this? Should I just not worry about it? She rarely cries, and settles pretty fast when she does... I just thought it might be a nice gesture.

Definitely over thinking it. What if the people next to you are loud and obnoxious, keeping you up, ruining your sleep, etc.? Doubt they're thinking about bringing earplugs or buying drinks for you. Worry about your family.

We cruised with our youngest when she was 7 months old. The week before she finally started to sleep through the night. The first night, she woke up at 3am. I grabbed her, put her in the stroller and walked around the ship until she fell asleep.

Have fun and don't worry about it. If anything pops up deal with it the best you can

I don't think a gift would help, it would just wind me up even further, as you can hardly expect people not to be irritated if their vacation is disturbed by a screaming child! I know I'd find it irritating, as people don't go on holiday to be disturbed by a screaming child.

The people with banshees should take land vacations for a bit.

I don't think a gift would help, it would just wind me up even further, as you can hardly expect people not to be irritated if their vacation is disturbed by a screaming child! I know I'd find it irritating, as people don't go on holiday to be disturbed by a screaming child.

The people with banshees should take land vacations for a bit.

The hard-of-hearing people who turn their TV up should take land vacations. Adults who talk loud should take land vacations. People who drink and get boisterous should take land vacations. Groups of people who have a great time together should take land vacations. People that have loud ummm "night time activities" should take land vacations. Your first post and it is extremely rude. Calling a child a "banshee" is not nice. I could say more but that would bring me down to your level.

We took our then 7 month daughter on her first cruise last month. I too was concerned about disturbing others. I did make sure to have a non-connecting cabin. (We had one on a previous cruise before I knew better and the neighbors TV was deafening the entire cruise. I swear they never turned it off!) Luckily DD is extremely laid back and happy, she obviously doesn't take after her mum ;), and she was great all week. But the point of my post was that I was sooo nervous about her disturbing others in our area until I attempted to relax on the first day of the cruise... It seems there was a family that had 3 or 4 cabins spread about around us with at least 4 of the most boisterous obnoxious teen/preteens I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. Suffice it to say that they were among the worst behaved kids I've ever seen.

So my rambling point is that I don't think the gift is necessary and that your neighbors may very well be way worse than your little one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have kids (yet) but understand that some people do (amazing how people want the little boogers! ;-) ). Honestly we get kids crying, hey it happens. Just do what you normally do and don't worry about me in the room next door to you. I am one who has issues sleeping and I keep ear plugs in my travel bag. Didn't have to use them on our first cruise but I carry them anyway. Now if you are yelling at someone four doors down from you...then we will have issues. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My banshee will be traveling with me! Maybe people who get easily annoyed by others shouldn't cruise. The walls are thin, stay home. Drunks who talk loudly down the hall at 3am, teenagers screaming to each other down the corridor, loud couples who forget how thin the walls are. There are so many disturbances but if you plan to have a good time then do so and ignore those that are judgemental. A lot of people will say not to travel with kids, but I think that's the best time to travel. I wouldn't take gifts just be polite I'd someone says something to you but odds are they won't even notice

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk