San Francisco Restaurants & Sights

We'll be in SF on Tuesday, Sep 30th from 1 pm to midnight, docking at Pier 35. We're planning to do Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf and Ghiradelli Square. We love to poke about shops. We have been to SF before, a long time ago, and saw Muir Woods, Sausalito and Napa but little of SF. We don't have any interest in seeing Alcatraz. Also, I'm travelling with my 78 year old mother who can really only do flat walking.

My thought was to have dinner off of the ship to either break up the sightseeing or end it before going back to the ship. However, we could also go to the restaurant for a late lunch and sightsee afterwards. Is there a nice, not too expensive, restaurant in the area that you can recommend to us? Not too expensive, to me, means $50 - $75 for 2 entrees only (we don't typically have alcohol, desserts or appies). DM loves fish, I love shellfish. We're not so much into Asian. We love French and German food, too, plus, of course, the typical North American standards. Seems like a short list, doesn't it?!;)

Do you have any other recommendations for the time we have in SF? We're not night owls but I do want to be up for the sail away under the GGB so will have to stay up until after midnight. Is there an evening show/event for which we could try to get tickets?

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated!

If you're going to be at Fisherman Wharf, you can try Scoma's for seafood. It's not cheap but not real expensive either.

Or if you really have time, you can take in a show to see Beach Blanket Babylon in North Beach with either a early dinner or late dinner since there are lots of italian restaurants in that area. For the show, you need to pre-buy tickets and it's a first come for the best seats but you are guaranteed a seat. It's a very popular show that have been running in SF for many years.

I really loved this restaurant. It is not real cheap, but it is close by at Pier 43-1/2, right on the water. Best to make a reservation if you can. A seat by the window is really good. I just thought the food was fabulous. Of course, they have other things than crab. I would be happy to go back there. They have an elevator, you don't have to go up the stairs if you don't want. The restaurant has been there a long time.

I second the recommendation for that show. It is very funny and good. Take an Uber or Lyft company ride to the show - much better and I think cheaper than a standard cab. The show is not far from the ship, but it would be quite a walk.

Thanks everyone. I looked up Beach Blanket Babylon; unfortunately, it's not performed on Tuesdays which is when we are there.

The Franciscan Crab is a contender. I will discuss this with my DM to see if she is amenable to it. Just a question, as we both love dungeness crab - at the Franciscan does one have to crack the crab or is it nicely laid out for you to just dip your fork into the crab and scoop out the meat? In other words, do we have to work for our dinner? We would have to dress accordingly!

Do you know anything about the Crab House at Pier 39? It appears to be a sister restaurant to the Franciscan Crab. I'm wondering if one is more upscale than the other, not that we need upscale but having to work for our dinner, as mentioned above, is a consideration.

I think you can get it various ways. You can get it in lumps, or crabs that you pick at, but I believe they are somewhat cracked to start. I looked on the internet before and there were many pictures of dishes you can get and the view from the windows. They probably have a menu online to peruse. During daylight, of course your view of the bay is better. At late night, could be black with lights. If you go to their site, you can probably ask them directly. I don't think you have to dress up so much, they are used to tourists. You can see customers in the photos too to get an idea. I don't know about the Crab House at Pier 39. On general principles, I would expect it to be even more informal. Some people were a little dressy when I went to the Franciscan, but of course they will take people any way. It is a major tourist area. Lunch time would be even more casual. I think you would enjoy this experience (but check prices beforehand). Read the reviews on google and yelp for some ideas. As something to do at night, you could go for a cocktail at the top of one of the downtown hotels and look at the views.

Thanks, Paluni! Yes, they have a menu online. Funny thing is that the Franciscan is less expensive than the Crab House, at least it is for the whole crab dinners. Good point about being there in daylight. When does it get dark there? Not sure how that will work for us since we only arrive at 1 pm. We'll probably have lunch on the ship (unless we have a big breakfast and skip lunch) and then sightsee.

We're trying to have a very loosey goosey schedule. Sightsee until we're too tired or our feet hurt and have dinner when we're hungry or need a break.

Thanks for all the info!

Sunset on that day should be right around 7PM (give or take 5 minutes) if it's clear enough to see a sunset. If you are at your desired seat on the water before then, you should have enough light to enjoy some beautiful views.

You will have no problem finding great food on your adventures as some awesome restaurants are found right where you will be sightseeing. There will be many places to enjoy crab right there at Fisherman's Wharf, and all points in between. You can even grab a fresh crab cocktail from the vendors on the sidewalk and eat it while you walk around.

And the bread... OMG, the bread. :)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there this past weekend for three days over Labor Day weekend. We stayed near the Embarcadero, which was a great location for walking to many areas. We walked ... a lot!

We took the Big Bus sightseeing hop on/hop off bus (there are other companies) which gave us a great layout of the city, and gave us an idea of which areas to go back to and which not to. We went back to "The Haight" district on Haight Street (upper Haight), which is a very eclectic area for hippies - throwback to 1967 Summer of Love. Great people watching. There is interesting street art (murals, not graffiti tags), and lots of unique boutiques, bars, and restaurants (lower Haight is a bit dodgy). Magnolia restaurant was a good gastropub - great burger.

Union Street (not to be confused with Union Square) has a lot of really great bars, restaurants, and shops.

We went to see Beach Blanket Babylon one night.

On Market Street, near the Ferry Building, there is a weekend arts/crafts fair that takes place there. There are some very interesting local artists showcasing their stuff. Inside the Ferry Building, there are various vendors of artisan food, cheese, etc. Some very unique stuff.

We took a ferry to Sausalito. On another visit to SF, we rented bikes and rode across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, and then took the ferry back.

We avoided Fisherman's Wharf - too crowded and too touristy.

We ate at some great restaurants in North Beach ... Tomasso's, Capo's, Trattoria Contadina, Pinocchio.

Chinatown is interesting, but we opted not to eat in any of the restaurants. I was recently in Shanghai, and saw their lack of hygiene standards for food handling. However, outside of Chinatown, we found U-See, which is highly rated on Yelp - great potstickers there!

Stay away from the Tenderloin area - not good.

There was a lot of construction and traffic around Union Square, where the high end shops are. Allow yourselves plenty of time to get there and back, if that is one of your destinations.

We walked through the Presidio down to Chrissy Field next to the Golden Gate Bridge to watch the sunset.

Edited by brunello22

I second the recommendation for that show. It is very funny and good. Take an Uber or Lyft company ride to the show - much better and I think cheaper than a standard cab. The show is not far from the ship, but it would be quite a walk.

Just saw the show for the second time last weekend! Saw it once in 2010 so it was great to see all the updates since!

What cruiseline are you on? We will be there on the 22nd on Princess and wer are to be the 3rd ship to dock at the new pier 27. Unfortunately farther from the action.

We're on HAL. The Zuiderdam will be at Pier 27, while the Westerdam will be at Pier 35, probably because we on the Westerdam arrive later in the day.

Sunset on that day should be right around 7PM (give or take 5 minutes) if it's clear enough to see a sunset. If you are at your desired seat on the water before then, you should have enough light to enjoy some beautiful views.

You will have no problem finding great food on your adventures as some awesome restaurants are found right where you will be sightseeing. There will be many places to enjoy crab right there at Fisherman's Wharf, and all points in between. You can even grab a fresh crab cocktail from the vendors on the sidewalk and eat it while you walk around.

And the bread... OMG, the bread. :)

Bob

Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm glad sunset won't be too early.

I love bread but am gluten sensitive. Now I have to decide if that bread is "cheat worthy".

We were just there this past weekend for three days over Labor Day weekend. We stayed near the Embarcadero, which was a great location for walking to many areas. We walked ... a lot!

We took the Big Bus sightseeing hop on/hop off bus (there are other companies) which gave us a great layout of the city, and gave us an idea of which areas to go back to and which not to. We went back to "The Haight" district on Haight Street (upper Haight), which is a very eclectic area for hippies - throwback to 1967 Summer of Love. Great people watching. There is interesting street art (murals, not graffiti tags), and lots of unique boutiques, bars, and restaurants (lower Haight is a bit dodgy). Magnolia restaurant was a good gastropub - great burger.

Union Street (not to be confused with Union Square) has a lot of really great bars, restaurants, and shops.

We went to see Beach Blanket Babylon one night.

On Market Street, near the Ferry Building, there is a weekend arts/crafts fair that takes place there. There are some very interesting local artists showcasing their stuff. Inside the Ferry Building, there are various vendors of artisan food, cheese, etc. Some very unique stuff.

We took a ferry to Sausalito. On another visit to SF, we rented bikes and rode across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, and then took the ferry back.

We avoided Fisherman's Wharf - too crowded and too touristy.

We ate at some great restaurants in North Beach ... Tomasso's, Capo's, Trattoria Contadina, Pinocchio.

Chinatown is interesting, but we opted not to eat in any of the restaurants. I was recently in Shanghai, and saw their lack of hygiene standards for food handling. However, outside of Chinatown, we found U-See, which is highly rated on Yelp - great potstickers there!

Stay away from the Tenderloin area - not good.

There was a lot of construction and traffic around Union Square, where the high end shops are. Allow yourselves plenty of time to get there and back, if that is one of your destinations.

We walked through the Presidio down to Chrissy Field next to the Golden Gate Bridge to watch the sunset.

Thanks for the info, Brunello!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have any other recommendations for the time we have in SF? We're not night owls but I do want to be up for the sail away under the GGB so will have to stay up until after midnight. Is there an evening show/event for which we could try to get tickets?

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated!

What kind of experience are you looking for? Do you want to venture away from the Embarcadero and wharf? If so, I would suggest taking a taxi, cable car, or Uber ride to Nob Hill for a look at Grace Cathedral, late lunch at the Big 4 Restaurant, and dessert and coffee at the Top of the Mark (Hopkins) where, if you arrive before dark, you will be able to see the city from all angles and then watch the sunset.

If you want to stay near the ship, then all of the restaurants suggested so far are places that cater to tourists and charge high prices. Capo's in North Beach is not specifically touristy as it is owned by Tony Gemignani, an award-winning pizza maker, but it has a speakeasy vibe evocative of Chicago and not San Francisco.

That said, my favorite "quintessential" old school restaurants in the area are Alioto's at the wharf, Original Joe's in North Beach, and Tadich Grill in the Financial District. Alioto's has a view; the other two have a "scene."