Can I get seasickness meds onboard?

ExpatBride

Let's just say that Denmark doesn't have the same OTC medicine culture as the US. I went to the pharmacy looking for seasickness tablets 'just in case,' but they told me I'd have to see my doctor.

I leave Friday, and with the national healthcare system, the soonest I can see my doc is in 3 weeks and he won't prescribe without an office visit.

If worse comes to worse, can I find Dramamine or something similar onboard, and where?

Guest services, they give them to you free of charge. If you think you may get seasick, take them before you feel bad. Once you're seasick, it is harder for them to work effectively. (I unfortunately get seasick every cruise) I take them as soon as I board, and around the clock from then on. (and I try all the stuff folks say helps, green apples, ginger in every possible form, etc.) Never have an empty stomach, don't eat LOTS, (I know, hard to NOT do this) - that helps too. I always kept the apples and saltine crackers in our cabin. Good luck!

Every ship gives out free seasickness pills at guest services. ..they work great. I wouldn't sail without them.

It's usually meclizine which is the generic of Bonine. Many ships provide it free at the front office/guest services or whatever they call the 'office' on that particular cruise line. They also provide it no charge on HAL ships in the Infirmary.

Hope you won't need it.

We were on the NCL Star out of Copenhagen for our Norway, Shetland Island, Iceland, Ireland and Scotland cruise when a cat 2 hurricane joined us in the North Sea and North Atlantic.

Worst ship movement we have ever experienced. A lot of passengers and crew were sick.

Barf bags placed everywhere. The ship was giving out seasick pills to everyone.

i get quite sea sick and have tried it all (sea band, relief band, dramamines, bonine)...I can say that everyone is different and different things work for different people, for me, I swear by Bonine (no side effects or drowsiness or nausea)--way cheaper to buy before you are on the ship

my wife has had good luck with acupuncture which you can get on board and is guaranteed to last the cruise

i agree with others that is WAY better to treat before symptoms start; if you normally get car sick, sick from turbulence, or sick from 3D gaming, it is fairly certain you will have some symptoms to treat...

Edited by travelrevealed

Remember not to drink if u take these pills. I learned the hard way. Some yrs ago on the Gem they had margarita madness and had taken 2 pills prior to this and drank later on. Went to bed late, woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and had diarrhea. The next day I had to stay in bed because I still didn't feel well, it was because I mixed the meds and liqueur. I'll never do that again.

Remember not to drink if u take these pills. I learned the hard way. Some yrs ago on the Gem they had margarita madness and had taken 2 pills prior to this and drank later on. Went to bed late, woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and had diarrhea. The next day I had to stay in bed because I still didn't feel well, it was because I mixed the meds and liqueur. I'll never do that again.

Good to know! I wouldn't have thought of this... especially with the UBP :p

This is the reason I don't even bother taking those pills. I'm always afraid mixing alcohol with pills. Luckily my seasickness is only nausea and I can tend to deal with that. I do like to bring zofran if it gets too bad though.

I take 1 chewable Bonine each morning and I sometimes drink quite a few alcoholic beverages during the course of a day on a cruise and I have never had any side effects. I have traveled with friends using the Patch and/or Dramamine and they had many effects.