Sharing a drink package

I figured the title would get your attention.

My wife and I have an upcoming cruise. We have not cruised since the drink packages were introduced. She's a soda drinker and that's about it (think refreshment package). I like the specialty coffee, virgin cocktails, etc. but not really a soda fan (think replenish package). But, since the replenish package comes with a soda cup, my first instinct is just to give it to my wife since I won't use it. However, I also figured they probably frown on beverage packages being shared.

If we decide to only get one package, which would be a better value? Should I get the replenish and pay for her sodas one at a time or would be it better for her to get the soda package and pay for my coffees and mocktails one at at time?

I figured the title would get your attention.

My wife and I have an upcoming cruise. We have not cruised since the drink packages were introduced. She's a soda drinker and that's about it (think refreshment package). I like the specialty coffee, virgin cocktails, etc. but not really a soda fan (think replenish package). But, since the replenish package comes with a soda cup, my first instinct is just to give it to my wife since I won't use it. However, I also figured they probably frown on beverage packages being shared.

If we decide to only get one package, which would be a better value? Should I get the replenish and pay for her sodas one at a time or would be it better for her to get the soda package and pay for my coffees and mocktails one at at time?

It depends on how much of each type each of you drinks.

They frown on people sharing the packages. I thought RCCL required both people in a cabin to have the package not one only.

Royal discontinued the requirement that all guests in a stateroom have to buy a package a while back, but I can see it being reinstated if they read this forum much.

... If we decide to only get one package, which would be a better value? Should I get the replenish and pay for her sodas one at a time or would be it better for her to get the soda package and pay for my coffees and mocktails one at at time?

As Carol mentioned, we need numbers to make a recommendation.

How many sodas will your wife average, every day of the cruise?

How many specialty coffees and mocktails will you average, every day?

As Carol mentioned, we need numbers to make a recommendation.

How many sodas will your wife average, every day of the cruise?

How many specialty coffees and mocktails will you average, every day?

We would each probably do 5-6 drinks per day.

We would each probably do 5-6 drinks per day.

Very close either way, the estimates can change depending on which coffees you actually get.

6 sodas ($18) and the Replenish package ($22) is $40 per day.

6 coffees/mocktails ($30) and the Refreshment package ($9.44) is $39.44 per day.

On the specialty coffees, factor in the locations on the ship where they are available and the possibility of lines at the time of day you might want them. I found that the standard coffee was pretty drinkable and scrapped my plan to get the replenish package when I realized it might be a chore to get enough lattes to make it worthwhile. YMMV

Very close either way, the estimates can change depending on which coffees you actually get.

6 sodas ($18) and the Replenish package ($22) is $40 per day.

6 coffees/mocktails ($30) and the Refreshment package ($9.44) is $39.44 per day.

Why not buy the soda package ($9) and the Replenish Package ($22) and come out ahead each day? ($31)

Why not buy the soda package ($9) and the Replenish Package ($22) and come out ahead each day? ($31)

That might be a good idea. I'm really unfamiliar with the individual cost of the sodas, coffees and non-alcoholic drinks. Sounds like you need to purchase about 3-4 per day to break even. Does that sound right?

That might be a good idea. I'm really unfamiliar with the individual cost of the sodas, coffees and non-alcoholic drinks. Sounds like you need to purchase about 3-4 per day to break even. Does that sound right?

Yes.

Two weeks ago on Adventure, cans of coke were $2.50 + 18% grat and a medium latte at the cafe was 3.75 + 18%.

I wound up getting the soda package and getting my coffee fix either al a carte or just drank the standard brew. The soda package pays off for me since I don't drink alcohol.

bluecookies, I enjoyed the way you phrased the initial question. Clever ;-)

On the specialty coffees, factor in the locations on the ship where they are available and the possibility of lines at the time of day you might want them. I found that the standard coffee was pretty drinkable and scrapped my plan to get the replenish package when I realized it might be a chore to get enough lattes to make it worthwhile. YMMV

I'm with u on this one planning on just getting a soda package for my next cruise the replenish package wasn't good value as the mochas weren't that nice found the free stuff drink age

Two weeks ago on Adventure, cans of coke were $2.50 + 18% grat and a medium latte at the cafe was 3.75 + 18%.

I wound up getting the soda package and getting my coffee fix either al a carte or just drank the standard brew. The soda package pays off for me since I don't drink alcohol.

bluecookies, I enjoyed the way you phrased the initial question. Clever ;-)

Helpful information! Thank you!

Also, I think you can only use the freestyle machines with the package, so if that's your thing that would argue for package.

And you get a souvenir cup to keep, so a little value added there.

Also, I think you can only use the freestyle machines with the package, so if that's your thing that would argue for package.

And you get a souvenir cup to keep, so a little value added there.

I have seen on this board many times that bartenders will also pour a glass from a can if you have the soda package. But, I haven't been on a RC ship yet, so I cannot confirm this is true.

Geez... The OP asked a reasonable question, and seems to just be trying to figure things out rather than attempting to screw anyone out of anything. And if their "squeaking when they walk" means they can save up and afford a cruise, then I guess their evil plot is working out OK for them... ;)

Geez... The OP asked a reasonable question, and seems to just be trying to figure things out rather than attempting to screw anyone out of anything. And if their "squeaking when they walk" means they can save up and afford a cruise, then I guess their evil plot is working out OK for them... ;)

First instinct of the poster was to share the soda. Than he is trying to analyse the price of a soda package. Many people try to figure out the booze packages, but this is a first for a soda package. If you drink soda, than you buy the package. It's a no brainer. If you like to drink coffee, and have flavored ice, than get the other.

Holy Toledo people lighten up!! The OP was JOKING!!! Guess some people don't recognize sarcasm anymore. Why are so many people on here snarky and rude? And no I am not talking about EVERYONE on here obviously if that also isn't clear enough. But if you think you are one of them that that statement could apply to, then maybe its true.

Happy cruising all!!