1st Time Princess, Panama Canal: Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

Terry, the cruise "maven", I can't believe I am offering you advise. We sailed Coral through the canal. I was bored, but my husband, who is a bit of a techie, was in heaven.

My suggestion for you is for Aruba. We did the Trikes of Aruba tour. First, they give you a thorough orientation to the workings of the trikes. The tour goes around the island, stopping at all the major sites, with an historical perspective from the tour leader.

It was one of the singular most enjoyable trips we have had in the area. (and we are not youngsters!)

http://www.trikes-aruba.com/

Make sure you are on deck when you pass through the most western locks. You pass in front of the land based visitor center and there will be hundreds waving and cheering for you.
Sorry to correct you but the most western (and northern) locks are the Gatun locks. You are referring to the Miraflores locks which are actually the most eastern (and southern) locks. Because of the shape of Panama, the Caribbean entrance to the Canal is actually west of the Pacific entrance and on your west bound transit you actually sailed to the southeast during your transit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Terry, the cruise "maven", I can't believe I am offering you advise. We sailed Coral through the canal. I was bored, but my husband, who is a bit of a techie, was in heaven. My suggestion for you is for Aruba. We did the Trikes of Aruba tour. First, they give you a thorough orientation to the workings of the trikes. The tour goes around the island, stopping at all the major sites, with an historical perspective from the tour leader. It was one of the singular most enjoyable trips we have had in the area. (and we are not youngsters!)

http://www.trikes-aruba.com/

Appreciate the continued great sharing of various ideas and experiences with Princess, doing the Panama Canal, etc. Keep it coming!! It's all very helpful. Was with a couple Saturday night who will be going with us on this cruise and I told them about all of the great info that those on these CC boards are providing.

Especially enjoyed the above comment from RNCheryl. Not sure whether the title "maven" fits me or not. Or, deserved?? I like to ask questions and hopefully that make me a little smarter than average. That word "maven" is interesting in meaning "expert or connoisseur. That word has some Yiddish or Hebrew background. I will accept that "honor" compared to what others and/or my wife labels me at times.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 203,925 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Make sure you see "On the Bayou". They did a great job moving it from the Universe Lounge (which no longer exists on Island) to the Princess Theater.

For some reason the wifi doesn't work well in the indoor pool area (Lotus Pool). But the loungers are much more comfortable there and the AC works well. The ice cream bar is in there as well (say hi to Elizabeth).

We just got off Island Princess on Monday. We loved the Panama Canal cruise. Left from Fll and ended in Los Angeles. Saw the production Encore. Very nice but it highlighted individual singers and had many opera songs. Bayou production is great. Food was good. We were on the port side on aloha deck. Even when it rained we were out of the weather. Got up at 4:00 AM on Canal day so we could watch when we entered the first locks. Amazing! Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are totally impressed with JIm's wife Nancy's web site! Interested in what she used to create the site? Wife and I have so many trips we've talked about doing this for.

YES!! Do super appreciate Nancy's excellent website and pictures. Plus, the idea of centralizing all of the travel visuals and experiences in one area/location is wonderful. Would like to do that for me. BUT, need to keep busy working and earning a little money to help fund these adventure travels. Need more time!!

Great added follow-ups from Kathy, Lee and Diane. Keep sharing!! It's all very helpful. Will be sharing with others in our group.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,466 views for these postings.

Appreciate the great follow-ups on Nancy's excellent pictures and the sunscreen importance. My guess is that for sailing in these Central American areas that the air is cleaner. That allows the sun to punch thru in a brighter, quicker manner. Need that protection even more!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 218,057 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If you have ever been to Mexico and thought you were being hassled by a lot of vendors you ain't seen nothing yet. Colombia was crazy with vendors everywhere. We booked a tour with 6 others from our roll call and Dora (our tour guide) "protected" us from most of the vendors. They recognized her and didn't swamp us like they did some other folks.

The Vendors were so aggressive on my trip there, that I was so uncomfortable, that I got BACK on the bus and the vendors still came to the bus windows show us their souvenir's.

• 3 months later...
The Vendors were so aggressive on my trip there, that I was so uncomfortable, that I got BACK on the bus and the vendors still came to the bus windows show us their souvenir's.

Appreciate this follow-up comment. We are now at the stage of only two and a half weeks until we depart on the Island Princess.

Just finished earlier this week reading of the 617 pages of David McCullough's "Path Between the Seas". WOW! The details for what was involved over a hundred years back is pretty amazing. And to think that most of the poured concrete for these huge locks and most of the steel hardware is still performing today is very amazing. Great engineering to build this canal, especially under the challenging topographic and tropical conditions that existed there in that jungle situation.

Below are some additional graphics that help in understanding this project, its terrain, the impact on world shipping, etc. Another key factor was the massive logistics to get all of the materials there for the construction, the housing and feeding of the work crews, etc., etc. There were no handy Home Depots or Lowe's in the neighborhood to pick up extra tools, bags of concrete, wood timbers, etc. It ALL had to be shipped in by boat, mostly from the port of New York City.

Reading this book has definitely helped me to better understand what was involving in making this canal-building one of the engineering wonders of the modern world.

Any added tips, ideas, suggestions, etc., for our first sailing with Princess and in visiting these areas in Colombia, Central America, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,778 views for this posting.

From the Bing website's visual library, here are some pictures of the book cover and two samples of the canal construction. Looking forward in early March to seeing it all "in person", "up close and personal", etc.:

DecTravel2016A%20023_zpswdxhvz5f.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20024_zpsvyqmvyhm.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20025_zpsdemofrc1.jpg

From the Bing website, here are three added graphics that might be of interest. First is a map from before the constructed started that reflects that the large lake seen there now was not originally there. It had to be built as a way to control the wild river there and provide a fresh water supply to operate these large locks. And the lake created was the largest ever built in the world at that time. Second is a cut-away view of the canal and its overall lay-out. See how big is the resulting Gatum Lake? Third shows, quickly, how the mileages distance were saved by the opening of the Panama Canal in 1914.:

DecTravel2016A%20028_zpskbbkqayl.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20027_zpsfvdjgkvh.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20029_zpstticcajg.jpg

All the way forward on the Island on both the Baja and Caribe decks there are "secret" doors that open to large balconies at the very front of the ship. It's a wonderful spot to watch the approach to the canal. We got up in the dark to watch our approach. The secret doors may or may not have signs "Crew Only", I honestly don't remember if they did on our trip. ( If they did, it's the only time I've ever disobeyed a sign on a ship.) We weren't the only ones out there. :rolleyes:

I also recommend a private guide in Cartagena. So worth it to beat all the buses with so much to see and also to be able to take a break when you need one. Cartagena was the HOTTEST place I have ever been in my life and I've been in some hot places!

On our passage last year we noticed a craft table set up and people making large signs. We did not pay too much attention to it. Come to find out when going thru the canal they had the people who made the signs go to the side of the ship on the Lido deck or in their balcony and hold the signs up. A helicopter then circled the ship filming all the people with their signs. Most of the shots were with a close up lens and the film was put into the cruise video they sell. It was a great souvenir to take home with clear shots of you you holding your sign.

If you see the craft table maybe think about it.

On our passage last year we noticed a craft table set up and people making large signs. We did not pay too much attention to it. Come to find out when going thru the canal they had the people who made the signs go to the side of the ship on the Lido deck or in their balcony and hold the signs up. A helicopter then circled the ship filming all the people with their signs. Most of the shots were with a close up lens and the film was put into the cruise video they sell. It was a great souvenir to take home with clear shots of you you holding your sign.

If you see the craft table maybe think about it.

We did this on the Coral last year, and would add a little more advice. They provided the posterboard, then we had to use what ever markers, paints, stencils, etc., that was left behind. A lot of the markers were getting dried up and the paint was somewhat messy. If someone plans on making the signs, you might think about going by the dollar store and get some materials. We took some things ourself and left them behind for the next cruise.

Glad to hear they brought the chopper back. Our first trip, we did not make a sign and it was flying overhead during the transit. The second trip we did make a sign, and it was not flying. There were photographers standing on the sides of the canal with a zoom lens taking the pictures of passengers. We did get in the DVD as bought them on that trip.

All the way forward on the Island on both the Baja and Caribe decks there are "secret" doors that open to large balconies at the very front of the ship. It's a wonderful spot to watch the approach to the canal. We got up in the dark to watch our approach. The secret doors may or may not have signs "Crew Only", I honestly don't remember if they did on our trip. ( If they did, it's the only time I've ever disobeyed a sign on a ship.) We weren't the only ones out there. :rolleyes: I also recommend a private guide in Cartagena. So worth it to beat all the buses with so much to see and also to be able to take a break when you need one. Cartagena was the HOTTEST place I have ever been in my life and I've been in some hot places!

Verde Man: On our passage last year we noticed a craft table set up and people making large signs. We did not pay too much attention to it. Come to find out when going thru the canal they had the people who made the signs go to the side of the ship on the Lido deck or in their balcony and hold the signs up. A helicopter then circled the ship filming all the people with their signs. Most of the shots were with a close up lens and the film was put into the cruise video they sell. It was a great souvenir to take home with clear shots of you you holding your sign. If you see the craft table maybe think about it.

Eagle_and_hawk: We did this on the Coral last year' date=' and would add a little more advice. They provided the posterboard, then we had to use what ever markers, paints, stencils, etc., that was left behind. A lot of the markers were getting dried up and the paint was somewhat messy. If someone plans on making the signs, you might think about going by the dollar store and get some materials. We took some things ourself and left them behind for the next cruise. [b']Glad to hear they brought the chopper back.[/b] Our first trip, we did not make a sign and it was flying overhead during the transit. The second trip we did make a sign, and it was not flying. There were photographers standing on the sides of the canal with a zoom lens taking the pictures of passengers. We did get in the DVD as bought them on that trip. David & Ellen

Appreciate these three above posts and the helpful and interesting background. Great added info!! This really helps get us even more excited about our Feb. 28 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on this Princess ship.

Below are three pictures of the Island Princess going through the Panama Canal in January. These visuals were taken by a passenger, Turtles06, on a NCL ship that was traveling right behind "our" ship.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,813 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are three pictures from Turtles06 as they were on a NCL ship in following the Island Princess as it did its passage in January through the locks of the Panama Canal.:

DecTravel2016A%20040_zpshtsvmojk.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20041_zpsmczjpl3f.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20039_zpsdmi4s0o1.jpg

• 3 months later...

As a follow-up, below is a connection for the live/blog from our March experiences in doing this fun "adventure". This includes our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580