Balls? Talk to me.....

Whirled Peas

So the website says that, on my Sept. QM2 cruise there will be two, count 'em TWO balls: a black, red and gold ball and a masquerade ball. Can someone tell me what to expect? Do people actually wear masks for the masquerade ball? And why black, red and gold? I have been reading about a black and white ball on most Cunard cruises.

Vanessa

Don't get stressed out about "The Ball" issue. Whether or not you dress up for a particular Ball, whether or not you wear a costume, whether or not you have a mask for the Mask Ball - is a matter for you - just enjoy your cruise.

Some people are very particular about themed evenings, good luck to them, the choice is yours, but as I say, don't get stressed out about it, you'll see for yourself - it ain't worth it............

David

The Black, Red and Gold are specifically for the 175th Anniversary Balls being held on every voyage this year. They reflect the corporate colours of Cunard but there is no need to comply with any themed Balls, most don't bother although the Ballrooms are generally decorated to reflect the theme.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people are very particular about themed evenings, good luck to them, the choice is yours, but as I say, don't get stressed out about it, you'll see for yourself - it ain't worth it............ DAJO5601

Just to clarify - with the traditional Black and White Balls - what percentage of the ladies actually conform to the colour black for their evening gowns? Black and bright white are a no go for some of us - they may look extremely elegant, however, not the most flattering of colour combinations for all. My 'black' for example is navy blue, damson or the darker jewel colours.

Edited by Caldicot

I have seen on more than one occasion (on the QM2 last year and previously on the other ships) a woman wearing a red dress in the ballroom while other women were mostly in black and white.