Spirit or Legend

washdcguy

We're thinking a sail on a little ship next March for our 40th birthdays. We've exclusively sailed the big ships (and LOVED them). We'll likely just book a guarantee ocean view. Any suggestions/recommendations for which ship would be better? (The Spirit is more sold out than the Legend for the week we're looking at and the ports of call are equally as attractive to us)

Thanks for the help!

(I note that there is a separate thread asking whether the Legend will still be getting the same level of service and offerings at the end of her life, and we have read through that)

They are virtually identical. The quality of the cruise will depend almost entirely on the Master and the experience level of the crew, and that varies throughout the year.

On my experience I would give a slight edge to Spirit, because we experienced fewer plumbing problems and I prefer her mosaic design above the pool.

We have met a number of people on the small ships who have been trying them after being introduced to SB on the Big Girls. Quite a few were a bit dissapointed at first, though they got into the swing of things by the end of their cruise. Bear in mind thet the Legend and Spirit are much older and smaller, and really are more like a Yacht than a cruise ship.

Personally I love them.

Edited by Flamin_June

Legend has one sink ~Spirit, two, in the bathrooms.

As Spirit is a tad 'bit older than her 'Sister, both are fantastic vessels ~ unbeatable and totally unforgettable.

I personally prefer the "Baby Girls" over the larger ships......they never have seemed like the real Seabourn experience to me.

Have fun!

Martita B

Edited by Martita B.

I only have two Voyages under my belt at this point, both on the smaller vessels (Legend & Pride), so if the itineraries were the same then I would suggest finding out all you can about the crew (Captain, CD, bartenders, etc). I know that's not always easy to come by, but since the ships themselves are basically identical, it is, in my opinion, the crew that sets them apart.

Balconies and multiple dining venues are nice, but it is the crew that sets the tone for your entire Seabourn experience. Once we experienced that, we are having a hard time going anywhere else.

chefchick

You are 100% correct......Everything starts at the top with the Master of the vessel ~~then the ship Crew (the finest on the high seas), then the Chef, CD, etc.....I have discussed this with Captain's ~they have all agreed.:D

Happy sailings

MB

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your input...

We went with the Legend and will hope for a great crew.

Regardless, we'll have a great time!

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Legend! Enjoy!

Haven't been on the legend in a couple of years but we spent a month on the Spirit last winter and the staff were best best we have seen on our time with Seabourn. Theresa the HD and Suzanne the CD were great and the rest of the staff were excellent which shows us a great level of overall teamwork.

Update as to Legend Senior Staff and Crew for the Legend Oct TA Crossing ~

Capt/Master "Dag"

Hot Man Lulu

Chef John Pugh Do not know him (I'm betting there will be a Corp. Ex. Chef aboard ~Tony Egger is in charge of Chefs (Seattle)

CD Gail Packer~ NO info Seattle doesn't know her ? I never heard of her

Dr/nurse?

Of course workers aboard fixing any/all problems/bug extrm.'s)

Chief Purser/Crew Purser ?

Maitre 'd ?

A real "A-Seabourn Team" I am sure ~

Happy Sailings

Martita B

You have hit the jackpot there Martita, with your Captain and Hotel Manager at least. No, I don't know the CD either.

I think it is some time since you were on Seabourn, due to ill health? So do hope it is as good as it should be, and if you have never met Captain Dag before you are in for a real treat! You will definitely be looking up to/at him; he is about 6' 4" tall.

Jack in the Beanstock and 'poor 'little bity 5' weight 82pds Martita (normal weigh 98pds) ~I'm doing the TA 13 days as to healing and getting well from neurophy (3 yrs) and a serious infection from a bee sting and a West Texas flying bad, horrible insect! Came home from an 8 day stay in the hospital recently. Our Seabourn Dr.'s and Nurses are the very best Europe/the world offers ~~so sweet and caring. I know as I have needed them in the past. 10*!

Happy Sails ~Best to you and your family~

MB

johnny,

Are you referring to the Martita sailing 'Wal-ware-house?"

That's what our dear departed Herman Diaz called my suite! Those were the days of wine and roses! We all miss him so very much ~~~I am still sitting at his dining room table ~ my favorite spot! Naturally I confuse the Maitre'd when I say..."oh, thank you but I know exactly where my table, for four, over by the window,is and I'll seat myself." Thank you! He says, "next.":)

As I want to gain weight and regain my strength, No parties or "affairs" ~~no silly costumes (oh wait, I will take my fancy sequinned turkey outfit for whomever adult.) Will be boarding with a roll-on and a passport ....sending my one luggage piece to the ship.

You and that adorable Sol can send me a get well cake!

Pinkie sends hugs!