Transportation at LA Pier

rocker57

After a cruise, are there quite a few transport at the pier, or would it be best to arrange ahead of time? Super shuttle or Primetime is cheaper than Princess, so can one get on board once you disembark? Just trying to figure out the best way. Thanks again for your assistance :)

We can only offer a sample size of one disembarkation in LA, but it was a mob scene. Even with reservations for an entire van we waited over an hour to get it - they essentially ignored reservations and optimized their throughput. So I'd suggest you at least make advanced reservations so they have an idea of their load - or take a cab (they were plentiful) - or arrange for a town car that is really just for you.

We can only offer a sample size of one disembarkation in LA, but it was a mob scene. Even with reservations for an entire van we waited over an hour to get it - they essentially ignored reservations and optimized their throughput. So I'd suggest you at least make advanced reservations so they have an idea of their load - or take a cab (they were plentiful) - or arrange for a town car that is really just for you.

Yep. They routinely ignore reservations so they can take more runs to LAX with the mobs wanting to go there. I was told by the corporate office that Super Shuttle vans are owned by the drivers, and they decide which fares they want to take. Corporate told me the reservations were for my "convenience" (not.) Take a cab. It might cost more but it's worth it. People will come on here and tell you there is no problem taking the shuttles, do it all the time, never had a problem. To which I say "yet." People who live in the LA area know the horrors of traffic and the nightmare of trying to get to LAX if there is an accident on the freeway or CALTRANS decides to close a lane for the fun of it.

If you are returning to YVR you should be at LAX 2 hrs before flight time. Our experience with Super Shuttle has been excellent and the odd time that there has been a problem on the freeway then the driver has known to go around the delay. So you will have to do the math and determine the timing. Cabs are going to have the same problems with traffic delays as a shuttle and cab drivers have no incentive to go around a bottleneck, they have you in the back seat and the meter is running. As for a reservation, we normally make one but there are so many vans at the pier they are just loading and departing.

The advantage of a taxi over a shuttle-- you might have to stop at multiple terminals. A dedicated taxi can take the shortcuts inside the Horseshoe. No way would I want to go to terminal 4 if I was flying out of terminal 7.

At times it had taken us 45 minutes to get to TBIT at the top of the horseshoe.

Edited by SadieN

the odd time that there has been a problem on the freeway then the driver has known to go around the delay.

Ah, were it that easy. Yes, it helps to have an aggressive driver with local knowledge, but there are times when the freeways just stop and there's no way to get off to find that shortcut. If there's a crash, and it's between you and the next off ramp, you will be sitting for awhile until they can clear it (or close the freeway behind you and then back everybody up to the previous off ramp.) Once at the airport, the real fun starts as the driver tries to get you to your terminal (there are 8) and then you get to stand in famously long and slow TSA lines. As I think I've said before, the people who have had luck getting to the airport with no problems usually don't live in Southern California and don't really "get" the bigger picture.

Ah, were it that easy. Yes, it helps to have an aggressive driver with local knowledge, but there are times when the freeways just stop and there's no way to get off to find that shortcut. If there's a crash, and it's between you and the next off ramp, you will be sitting for awhile until they can clear it (or close the freeway behind you and then back everybody up to the previous off ramp.) Once at the airport, the real fun starts as the driver tries to get you to your terminal (there are 8) and then you get to stand in famously long and slow TSA lines. As I think I've said before, the people who have had luck getting to the airport with no problems usually don't live in Southern California and don't really "get" the bigger picture.

I understand that perfectly and have experienced it both in a shuttle van and driving myself .....but under these circumstances how is a taxi driver going improve the situation over that of a shuttle driver? Once you are trapped between off ramps you are trapped no matter what your mode of transportation is. In a taxi the meter is running and in a shuttle you are sitting with 10 other people all of who are going to be later than expected. It occurs to me that the better advice would be to allow 2 or more hours to get from San Pedro to LAX; rather then "Take a cab."

OP -- There are some on these boards who have a personal aversion to shuttles, but in the real world, if the traffic is snarled, ALL VEHICLES have the same problems.

The advantage of the shuttles is that they have the ability and resources to communicate with each other to identify the best route to take in these circumstances.

Super Shuttle and Prime Time both operate in similar fashion from the pier to LAX. They fill a van and go. They both have enough business over this route that waiting is very unusual. When you get to the airport, they will offload passengers at the terminals in order.

If the few minutes they take to do this will inconvenience you, then by all means spend the extra cash to take private transportation.

I have lived and worked in So Calif for many years and have made numerous trips over these routes. The traffic problems are not as common as some would have you believe.

Edited by swedish weave

It occurs to me that the better advice would be to allow 2 or more hours to get from San Pedro to LAX; rather then "Take a cab."

True, but these people seem to be booked for the flight already. Cab, shuttle, I guess it's the same difference. :) I think the question here, though, was about taking a cab to LAX after the cruise as opposed to using one of the shuttles parked outside the terminal (with or without a reservation.)

OP -- There are some on these boards who have a personal aversion to shuttles, but in the real world, if the traffic is snarled, ALL VEHICLES have the same problems.

Some of those people you reference have "a personal aversion" to shuttles for reasons other than the issue of snarled traffic (reasons one could discover by reading this very thread.) Obviously, all vehicles will have problems in traffic. I sincerely hope that anyone who takes the advice that "it's not that bad" will not live to regret it. Perhaps if they "miss the boat," so to speak, you might take them in for the night? :)

Edited by shredie

One reason that the cruise lines will recommend booking flights from LAX for noon on (probably some will say even after 1pm) is because there's traffic jams and also delays in disembarkation (which the cruise lines have no control over). As someone who has commuted to work on LA freeways for years...I know that often rush hour can extend long beyond 9 or 10 am.

As for shuttles, there usually does seem to be some confusion with being able to board efficiently, even if you have prebooked. So again, if you've booked a much too early flight, you should just plan to go with a taxi or else book a private vehicle with a reliable (really important word here) service.

I can not recommend PT for that reason. We had booked a private vehicle for one of our most recent cruises out of San Pedro to pick up from our house (50 miles from the port) and then two weeks later pick us at the port (two weeks worth of luggage was not going to fit in our sedan's trunk). Unfortunately, PT messed up big time with our booking on both ends. They sent our driver to the port on our embarkation day and sent the driver to our house on our disembarkation day (and the person at their office even argued with the curbside rep that we were supposed to be at our house, and he had to explain quite a few times that no, we were standing right next to him -- I was so close I can hear both sides of the conversation). The next two-week cruise, I had booked On Time Transportation and they got our booking correct and were actually early for our pickups (and the driver himself called me ahead of that to say where he was...while PT just had a generic recording).

So again' date=' if you've booked a much too early flight, you should just plan to go with a taxi or else book a private vehicle with a reliable (really important word here) service.

I can not recommend PT for that reason. We had booked a private vehicle for one of our most recent cruises out of San Pedro to pick up from our house (50 miles from the port) and then two weeks later pick us at the port (two weeks worth of luggage was not going to fit in our sedan's trunk). Unfortunately, PT messed up big time with our booking on both ends. They sent our driver to the port on our embarkation day and sent the driver to our house on our disembarkation day (and the person at their office even argued with the curbside rep that we were supposed to be at our house, and he had to explain quite a few times that no, we were standing right next to him -- I was so close I can hear both sides of the conversation). [/quote']

Uh oh. Sounds like you have "a personal aversion" to shuttles. LOL. (It sound like maybe it isn't related to snarled traffic?)

Edited by shredie

The problem described above has appeared on this board many times, but it is a totally different problem than the shuttle from LAX to San Pedro or reverse.

Attempts to scare people away from the shuttles because of an isolated incident or two are unwarranted.

The shuttles over the route LAX - San Pedro are direct and not likely to be diverted or hampered by dispatcher mis-communication.

Edited by swedish weave

One advantage of SuperShuttle or PrimeTime is that you can pay in advance--even the tip--so you have one less thing to deal with on what is already a very hectic day. And once you are on the freeway it doesn't matter what kind of vehicle you are in, you are at the mercy of L.A. traffic--so just don't book your flight too early.

Attempts to scare people away from the shuttles because of an isolated incident or two are unwarranted.

When people ask for advice based on someone's personal experience and that advice is given, it does not translate to an "attempt to scare" anyone away. When people characterize others' advice as "personal aversion" or scare tactics, those people are making personal attacks on others who simply wish to help with well-meaning advice.

When people ask for advice based on someone's personal experience and that advice is given, it does not translate to an "attempt to scare" anyone away. When people characterize others' advice as "personal aversion" or scare tactics, those people are making personal attacks on others who simply wish to help with well-meaning advice.

Opinions are a personal choice, and disputing an opinion is also a personal choice.

Giving people a realistic view of their options is much better than giving them the disparaging exceptions to normal handling that occasionally occur.

Edited by swedish weave

One reason that the cruise lines will recommend booking flights from LAX for noon on (probably some will say even after 1pm) is because there's traffic jams and also delays in disembarkation (which the cruise lines have no control over). As someone who has commuted to work on LA freeways for years...I know that often rush hour can extend long beyond 9 or 10 am.

As for shuttles' date=' there usually does seem to be some confusion with being able to board efficiently, even if you have prebooked. So again, if you've booked a much too early flight, you should just plan to go with a taxi or else book a private vehicle with a reliable (really important word here) service.

I can not recommend PT for that reason. We had booked a private vehicle for one of our most recent cruises out of San Pedro to pick up from our house (50 miles from the port) and then two weeks later pick us at the port (two weeks worth of luggage was not going to fit in our sedan's trunk). Unfortunately, PT messed up big time with our booking on both ends. They sent our driver to the port on our embarkation day and sent the driver to our house on our disembarkation day (and the person at their office even argued with the curbside rep that we were supposed to be at our house, and he had to explain quite a few times that no, we were standing right next to him -- I was so close I can hear both sides of the conversation). The next two-week cruise, I had booked On Time Transportation and they got our booking correct and were actually early for our pickups (and the driver himself called me ahead of that to say where he was...while PT just had a generic recording).[/quote']

How long ago did your problem occur ?

Thank you. I'm not saying don't ever take a shuttle. For some people, it works great. And maybe it might work out if you leave the airport terminal and there's a shuttle (of whichever company) that has space. Maybe the driver will leave the airport then and you may be the first or so stop. Of course, if you pre-booked with a specific company, then you can't just jump on another company's shuttle as you'll be out your prepayment.

As for getting to the airport, yes, traffic can cause delay for any vehicle. But if you're also waiting to board because the curbside rep can't find your name on his list because of a mistake made back at the office (and it wasn't just our vehicle that was missing that day, but some other people's bookings were messed up too for this company -- I was feeling very sorry for the rep)...that would be very frustrating for you, wouldn't it?

Part of what this forum is about is discussing one's experiences...hopefully more good than bad (and with us, cruising has been about 90 good, and even a high percentage wonderfully excellent). I like to think I have a very concrete example of a company to be wary about (and there are other members who have had a bad experience with them as well). This didn't happen some twenty years ago but rather within ten years. So unless PT has had a management change and taken care of some of the problems (including giving recorded confirmations before the pickup rather than have the driver calling you directly), I can not recommend them for prebooking a pickup and won't. One mistake, I may have laughed it off eventually, but not the same mistake made to our detriment and convenience two weeks apart.

"Advice based on someone's personal experience" means "someone's personal experience." It does not mean advice based on your experience because, hard as it may be to comprehend, not everyone has the same experiences. However, it may be that your personal experiences are, indeed, the only ones that count:

"I have lived and worked in So Calif for many years and have made numerous trips over these routes. The traffic problems are not as common as some would have you believe."

Who knew?

Edited by shredie

"Advice based on someone's personal experience" means "someone's personal experience." It does not mean advice based on your experience because, hard as it may be to comprehend, not everyone has the same experiences. However, it may be that your personal experiences are, indeed, the only ones that count:

"I have lived and worked in So Calif for many years and have made numerous trips over these routes. The traffic problems are not as common as some would have you believe."

Who knew?

I knew !!! And even after having been retired for several years, I still have contacts and travel in the harbor and airport area frequently. I also used Super Shuttle while working and still do.

My experience has always been good when using the shuttle service, and I recomend it to others.

The idea of being delayed at the port is not valid because the shuttles of both companies line up several vans and they take people as they arrive. If giong to LAX, they put those people in a designated van and when it is full, they go. There is nothing else involved except traffic to cause delays.

The problem described above has appeared on this board many times, but it is a totally different problem than the shuttle from LAX to San Pedro or reverse.

The shuttles over the route LAX - San Pedro are direct and not likely to be diverted or hampered by dispatcher mis-communication.

Personally I never take a shuttle because I don't like being crowed on the buses. But it is up to each person what they like and don't like. We each do it differently. For me a town-car is the way to go and I don't try and scare anyone away from a shuttle.:)

I did have a laugh over this statement: The traffic problems are not as common as some would have you believe.

As I've stated, I've commuted for years in L.A. Some of those years between the west side (Mar Vista) and West Hollywood to Century City and the Wilshire District. Also some years from the Valley to West LA/Hollywood/Culver City (some of the companies I've worked for moved while I was working). When I worked just a few blocks away from the 405 in West LA in the 90s, we would often take a walk down to the local convenience store to stretch our legs and get a soda or coffee. And yes, the freeway traffic was bumper to bumper even at noon.

That's why those Californians skits that SNL did a few years ago were somewhat irritating, but based on the truth...many of us do give directions when talking about some local location.