Best Jerk Chicken and Oxtail in Falmouth????

dcedar

We were told to go to a place inside the gates- I dont remember the name but it was along side Magertitaville. The tour guide on the tram told us about it. The food was fair and the service was fair-I think if the jerk chicken is important to you to look "outside the gates". I found most shops inside to be too touristy.

Where in Falmouth can I find Jerk Chicken and Oxtail???

Anything inside the gates or do I need to book an excursion to find something?

We asked a local about this inside the port area and he recommended Scotchies, which has three locations but outside Falmouth. After my return I found this blog, which is somewhat dated, but quite interesting description and photos

http://www.followmefoodie.com/2011/10/jamaica-scotchies-authentic-best-jerk-chicken-in-jamaica/

Places I have seen mentioned on here include Falmouth Jerk Center, Pepper's Jerk Center and Club Nazz. All have reviews on Tripadvisor. I believe the place inside the port is called The Spice Kitchen, which looked popular.

There is also a Jamaica Culinary Tour which is a local walking tour with samples which I believe includes certainly Jerk chicken. Someone recently wrote a short review on here and might be able to help you.

I had never tried Jerk but got my fix in Grand Cayman at a relatively new, hole-in-the-wall type place, just outside the port. I have no idea how it rated but other people that I spoke to said it was good. I enjoyed it and it was spicy but I didn't see any "sides" which I believe are part of the experience? Main thing was it was convenient and tasted good with a Belikan beer!

Edited by c-leg5

I had never tried Jerk but got my fix in Grand Cayman at a relatively new, hole-in-the-wall type place, just outside the port. I have no idea how it rated but other people that I spoke to said it was good. I enjoyed it and it was spicy but I didn't see any "sides" which I believe are part of the experience? Main thing was it was convenient and tasted good with a Belikan beer!

Can you tell me a bit more about the whole-in-the-wall (name, location)? We're not doing an excursion next time we go to GC so we're just looking for a place to get some good food not far from the port.

Thanks!

Can you tell me a bit more about the whole-in-the-wall (name, location)? We're not doing an excursion next time we go to GC so we're just looking for a place to get some good food not far from the port.

Thanks!

Beefers. Here is a report I found after we returned: http://www.caymanreporter.com/2014/01/10/beefers-promises-spice-waterfront-dining/

If you turn right out of any of the piers, it is on the waterfront on South Church Street, opposite Bayshore Mall. You will see from the photo in the article it has a very small frontage but if you walk through there are further large tables out the back. Not "high dining" by any means, but busy without being crowded, and view of the ocean.

We also didn't have an excursion booked this time and just wandered round the streets following an online Heritage walk I had found.

Beefers. Here is a report I found after we returned: http://www.caymanreporter.com/2014/01/10/beefers-promises-spice-waterfront-dining/

If you turn right out of any of the piers, it is on the waterfront on South Church Street, opposite Bayshore Mall. You will see from the photo in the article it has a very small frontage but if you walk through there are further large tables out the back. Not "high dining" by any means, but busy without being crowded, and view of the ocean.

We also didn't have an excursion booked this time and just wandered round the streets following an online Heritage walk I had found.

This looks fantastic, thanks for passing it along. We're planning on wandering around as well, but it's good to have some ideas of good places to eat rather than picking one at random.

• 3 weeks later...