Is the Mediterranean rough in the Fall??/seasickness

meganelise

Our ship leaves Nov 2 from Barcelona to Venice, 12 day cruise. Has anyone cruised around that time and what generally was the water like? (and weather) Luckily we are in port 10 of the 12 days, but i have TERRIBLE motion sickness. And our kids have never cruised before so i just want to be prepared mentally and medicinally! Also any tips you have keeping the queasies away are much appreciated. I am getting seabands, will bring dramamine, and possibly ginger pills.

Thank you!

Our ship leaves Nov 2 from Barcelona to Venice, 12 day cruise. Has anyone cruised around that time and what generally was the water like? (and weather) Luckily we are in port 10 of the 12 days, but i have TERRIBLE motion sickness. And our kids have never cruised before so i just want to be prepared mentally and medicinally! Also any tips you have keeping the queasies away are much appreciated. I am getting seabands, will bring dramamine, and possibly ginger pills.

Thank you!

There simply is no way of telling, I'm afraid. I have lived on the Med for 13 years, in Spain and Malta but with a lot of time in Cyprus, Crete, Gibraltar and Turkey. I have seen frightening seas and weeks of millpond conditions. But remember, you are on a large stabilised ship so take medication before you need it, and enjoy your trip. We are on the cruise immediately after you returning from Venice to BCN and altHough I am very prone to seasickness I have no worries. When we sail across Biscay to the UK however, That is a different matter:(:(:(. I was a long range maritime patrol pilot for a good while, fortunately I never get air sick!

Relax and bon voyage.

OP: any large body of water can be rough or calm at any given time, and the fact that one person may say it was calm (or rough) when she was there at a specific time of year does not mean it will be calm (or rough) the next year at that time (or even the next week). Just be prepared mentally for the fact that you might experience rough seas, and have whatever meds you need with you. And hopefully you'll have calm waters!

Have a great trip!

We take one Bonine every night and we have been in really rough seas and have never been sick. I like it better than Dramamine. Costco carries it, if you have one.

This is the method that works for us, and since it is the non-drowsy type of med, we don't notice anything other than no seasickness. The other thing I learned the hard way is that an empty stomach makes nausea worse. Counter-intuitive, I know. But I cured a horrible case of mal de mer with a sandwich!

Edited by valleyvillage

I agree with the above posters that it would be hard to tell if the water will be rough or you'll have good weather--it would be hard to tell you that about the Caribbean/Bahamas for January/February cruises as well (which we do regularly). We were in the Med last fall, and I think we actually had abnormal weather in that we were lead to believe that October/November is rainy season in Europe. We had rain in Venice the day we boarded the ship (apparently quite the downpour, but we missed it because it all happened during the time when we were exploring on the ship), and for a couple hours the morning we arrived in France--otherwise, we had no rain for our 12 day cruise, plus an extra day in Venice and three extra days in Barcelona. We may have been lucky.

Thank you!

As everyone below has stated - the weather could be good, bad or indifferent.

Sea sickness is like morning sickness - some women get it, some don't. Use what works for you. There is also candied ginger and ginger/lemon tea. You may want to have patches as a back up if your normal routine doesn't work. Not cheap but certainly less than needing to see a doc on the ship for hydration if everything goes to storm.

-Holly

who is very grateful that only 1/4 offspring gets sick. But that one really gets motion sickness. She's done the Jade in Jan/Feb without problems due to meds and patches....

It's important to keep your stomach full. Eat small meals often. Also, green apples are apparently good for nausea. If you see them on the buffet, grab a few and keep in your cabin refrigerator. The infirmary will have bonine available if you need it.