How long at Maho Beach

mfhyde

I am going to be in St.Maarten next week. I am trying to decide whether to book an excursion that includes Maho beach or just plan the day around going to Maho beach. This is definitely something we want to experience, but also want to see as much of St Maaten as possible. Not much interested in beach, just seeing the planes. The Shore Excursioneer Double Decker bus tours indicates that you will be at the beach for 45 minutes, but not sure if this is enough time or within a period in which a big plane will be landing? Any advice?

mfh

We did a tour with Bernard's Tours when we we in St Maarten last year that took us to all the highlights and included a short stop at Maho. It was a decent tour. I believe they planned the tour to be there when the big plane landed. But the beach was incredibly crowded at that time of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was with Bernard's tour as well.. We were there only a 3 weeks ago. We stayed there for about 45 minutes. He knows when the big planes come in. Keep in mind that this is a small beach, but there's a bar right there. Its nice to hang for a bit, but you dont need to spend all day here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Rogueperson

I am going to be in St.Maarten next week. I am trying to decide whether to book an excursion that includes Maho beach or just plan the day around going to Maho beach. This is definitely something we want to experience, but also want to see as much of St Maaten as possible. Not much interested in beach, just seeing the planes. The Shore Excursioneer Double Decker bus tours indicates that you will be at the beach for 45 minutes, but not sure if this is enough time or within a period in which a big plane will be landing? Any advice?

mfh

On my first visit to St Maarten, I booked the island tour with Bernard's and recommend it as well. The tour visited both sides of the island and gave an overview of what is offered on both sides. The airport stay was between 45-60 minutes and was the last stop of the tour. They will time the tour so as to get to the airport at the most desireable time...at least they try to. If you are on the island on a weekday the majority of the large jets arrive in the afternoon. I was there on a Sunday this past summer and the big jets mostly arrived between 10 and noon.

If you choose to do it on your own the public bus is only $2 (US) each way from Philipsburg to Maho/Mullet Bay.

If we do this on our own, does anyone know how much a cab costs? Also, what time should we leave in the afternoon to return to the ship? The ship departs at 5 p.m. and I don't want to take any chances on being late in case we got held up in traffic or something. Is it easy to get a cab back from the beach to the ship?

I can't help with cab. We took island tour through cruise line and the beach was a stop in the tour. St Maarten is a beautiful island; worth seeing on a tour. Then, you don't have to worry about returning to ship on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll be on St Martin on Dec 18th which is a Sunday from 9 to 5. I was there two years ago and did an enjoyable guided tour. I want to DIY (use taxis) this time, maybe a mix of beach with snorkeling if you can do it from the beach, a very little shopping and maybe a nice lunch. But I think shopping is fairly limited on Sunday and I wonder if some restaurants won''t even be open for lunch. I see there are 5 ships that day -- about 12,000 people! Will that make the beached crowded? So now I'm wondering if I should take an excursion?