Back Surgery possible right before cruise...

rarasnake

I have seen some posts where people have had back surgery and went on a cruise... My question, would you have gone within a month or two, just after having surgery??

I recently had a disk collapse and my doctor has recommended surgery. I meet with the surgeon next week, to discuss options.. We are set to cruise May 16. We have vacation insurance in place but I am just worried about having it before or after the cruise (holding off, means that I will be in pain for most of the cruise and my back gets worse or having it before and then not being able to go)...

I am just wondering, is it possible to have surgery and still look at going??

**If it helps, we are only going on a 5 day cruise. It is a relax/have fun vacation. No getting off the boat (we didn't book excursions or have plans to leave the boat). We are taking our 4 kids and praying that they will love Camp Carnival and want to stay there. I plan to just hang out on deck, take in some sights, maybe a class or two, going to a few shows and the rest of the time, is relaxing by the pool.. I am definitely NOT going rock climbing or taking a 20 mile hike up a mountain..

Edited by rarasnake

I have seen some posts where people have had back surgery and went on a cruise... My question, would you have gone within a month or two, just after having surgery??

I recently had a disk collapse and my doctor has recommended surgery. I meet with the surgeon next week, to discuss options.. We are set to cruise May 16. We have vacation insurance in place but I am just worried about having it before or after the cruise (holding off, means that I will be in pain for most of the cruise and my back gets worse or having it before and then not being able to go)...

I am just wondering, is it possible to have surgery and still look at going??

**If it helps, we are only going on a 5 day cruise. It is a relax/have fun vacation. No getting off the boat (we didn't book excursions or have plans to leave the boat). We are taking our 4 kids and praying that they will love Camp Carnival and want to stay there. I plan to just hang out on deck, take in some sights, maybe a class or two, going to a few shows and the rest of the time, is relaxing by the pool.. I am definitely NOT going rock climbing or taking a 20 mile hike up a mountain..

The very best person to ask is your surgeon. S/he will have a very strong opinions about this, including whether it is safe to be around all those people and their germs.

I would think the hardest part would be transporting the kids and the luggage, as usually there are two of you to do this and now one person will have to take care of all that! However, I cannot imagine a more blissful way to recover. I am hoping to spend some of my post knee replacement recovery time on board ship and "when can I go" will be on my list of questions for my first consult visit.

Good luck for your recovery.

Just a point for both previous posters- there is risk of blood clots post surgery which means do not fly for up to 3 months post surgery. Is the port you will sail from an easy drive? The cruise is a nice rehab spot but the travel to and from might not be recommended.

Never considered the blood clot risk... hmmm..... I have had 6 stomach surgeries in the last few years. Some minor but some very major surgeries. The biggest thing that the doctor is going to really be worrying about is infection (that is why I am hoping to schedule it REALLY soon or just wait until after).. We live in a smaller city and surgeries can be done within days of seeing surgeons (I know, I have had 4 surgeries, that I walked into see the surgeon and walked out with a surgery date, in the same week)...

We only have a 3 hour drive to and from port, so not that far. I am planning on bringing this up with the surgeon on Monday though. I really have reservations of having this surgery period but it has to be done... Now, the question is, before or after the cruise.. (*I am also one not to let ANYTHING hold me back, which usually bites me in the tail end... I do error on the side of caution though because we have kids and I want to see them grow up..*)

The answer depends on what kind of back surgery, and where is the surgery on your spine. A neck fusion is a fairly easy recovery. A full lumbar fusion is a long horribly painful recovery for many of us. Stomach surgeries can vary, but none compare to back surgery in pain and recovery in my experience. I have had a lamanectomy, a full fusion 3 levels and cervical fusion. Nothing before or since compared to full fusion in pain and length of recovery. One of my friends had a form of disc herniation repair that was micro-surgery and was jogging a month later. No big cut, no bone involved.

Another issue is, is this your first cruise, or first carnival cruise. Ships are so big some of us use an electric scooter to get around-easy to rent one and well worth it instead of husband pushing you. You could rent a week before if you think it will help. if you are a slow walker or need assistance, or need wheelchair or scooter, Carnival is considered to be the worst cruise line in terms of both other cruisers actions and staff help. Search Carnival on this thread.

As others say, the best person to ask is your surgeon.

If your back is currently stable but painful, you will probably be able to get travel insurance for the very low probability of a serious on-board issue, to have surgery after travel. However, you might struggle to get cover for any post-operative issues like infection or something more serious.

If you have elective surgery and then have problems that cause you to cancel your voyage, you would be well advised to check your insurance status for that as well.

I have had two lower back surgeries. I certainly would not cruise for at least six months. And to take four kids with you is, well, not a wise decision either. Cancel and use the insurance, and reschedule when you are truly healed. That is my humble opinion.

I have had two lower back surgeries. I certainly would not cruise for at least six months. And to take four kids with you is, well, not a wise decision either. Cancel and use the insurance, and reschedule when you are truly healed. That is my humble opinion.

OP posted an updated on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2011014 that no surgery is required.

I would suggest that you board about 2 hrs before departure. Cabins should be ready, there should not be any lines in the terminal, and you would be on board i ho time at all. For some reason, everyone wants to get there early and back things up.

Edited by rbrugler

• 3 weeks later...

so glad to hear you don't need surgery. I sailed last april, 8 weeks after a microdiscectomy. Although the doctor cleared me for the cruise, i was quite miserable. Being on a cruise is such a difference than your daily life. Your routines, your eating schedule, extra walking, more booze lol.... you may feel healed enough while at home, but once on a cruise, you might discover you really aren't as healed as you think you are.

so while you don't need surgery anymore, thank goodness, for anyone else that might read this thread, think hard about going on a cruise soon after back surgery. Even with the all-clear from your doctor.