Planning for the Specialty Restaurants

2pbears

We like to plan our specialty restaurants for nights that we find the menu in the main dining room to be less appealing. The last few times we have gone to the specialty restaurants upon boarding and asked if they had menus for the entire cruise that we could look at and they looked at us as though we were crazy. Is there somewhere you can go to view these menus on the first day of the cruise?

Typically whatever dining area the MD is holding court in has copies available...

We like to plan our specialty restaurants for nights that we find the menu in the main dining room to be less appealing. The last few times we have gone to the specialty restaurants upon boarding and asked if they had menus for the entire cruise that we could look at and they looked at us as though we were crazy. Is there somewhere you can go to view these menus on the first day of the cruise?

Sorry, I am confused by your comment. We just got off the Golden Princess and both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill had their menus posted outside to read at any time.

We enjoyed both restaurants.

I'm guessing you're talking about seeing the menus for each day for the MDR's? I would just see if the head waiter will let you see them on the first day (but you'll have to wait in the "request" line; check the Patter for the first day to see where and when one of the head waiters will be, taking requests for changes of dining assignments).

I'm guessing July 10th and 16th will be formal nights and the night in Finland would have most uninteresting menu.

I have tried inquiring at the MDR on a couple of occasions to see the upcoming menus, but got the impression I was asking for something next to impossible, so have backed off. I, like you, like to plan it around what is served in MDR. If you don't book early for specialty dining you either have to eat very early or very late or can't get in at all.

BUT experience has taught me to read behind the comment specialty restaurant makes about checking later in the day for cancellations. I have managed to get in that way several times. I expect that those with reservations later cancel after they have seen something appealing in MDR. Might be a good idea, hint, hint.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I have tried inquiring at the MDR on a couple of occasions to see the upcoming menus, but got the impression I was asking for something next to impossible, so have backed off.

Why is this information such a big secret? I don't understand it.

Sue

Don't know. I've gotten them when I asked. In fact at the end of the cruise in the Canal, I asked the MD for a set of menus to scan for here and he provided them.

Why is this information such a big secret? I don't understand it.

Sue

Ask any of the head waiters.

Thanks for all of your great comments. I guess we will have to play it by hear and check around when we get there.

Pia, just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the "most uninteresting menu" and why Finland?

Thanks for all of your great comments. I guess we will have to play it by hear and check around when we get there.

Pia, just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the "most uninteresting menu" and why Finland?

When it comes to food, no menu is interesting to me. Just a hunch about Finland.

We just returned from 15 days on Star Princess. Specialty restaurants were nearly empty every night, so we had no problems booking them each day. If you are willing to chance it, you can view each night's menu by the dining rooms, and if they are not appealing to you, walk to the Crown Grill or Sabatinis and ask for a table. We dined in both multiple times during the cruise and each night was wonderful!

Don't know. I've gotten them when I asked. In fact at the end of the cruise in the Canal, I asked the MD for a set of menus to scan for here and he provided them.

It may be different at the end of the cruise vs at the start. At the very start of a cruise they have just taken on lots of supplies. The chef may not have planned all the meals yet

We are actually boarding this ship on Day 3 of the cruise as the ship takes on passengers in both Copenhagen and Berlin. I am wondering how that will affect the menus----will we be having the sail away dinner on Day 9 when the next cruise boards in Copenhagen? Never done this situation before so I don't know what to expect.