Dining table assignment

croozer

And in the process, lower someone else's position on the waitlist in a DYKWIA scenario.

Many times I disagree with your posts, but this time you are right on! I don't understand why someone/anyone feels they are more important than others and they are entitled to getting what they want while the poor sap who has been waiting and doesn't have the nerve or whatever to email the Maitre D', which shouldn't be encouraged in the first place, gets stuck. It's just not fair to them.

I know life isn't fair, but just because you cruised on another line 10,000 times doesn't mean you should be ahead of me if I am waitlisted. I don't think that writing to John to be given what you want isn't right either. He does a lot of things to accommodate people but at what expense to others? Why can't people stand in line like all the others? Why are YOU more important than I am? Is it just because YOU think so? Ok, flame away, but if you were the one who didn't get what you wanted because someone else wrote or emailed, you would be complaining on here.

It is possible that a number of people on the wait list don't care too much either way. When booking you get the choice of early, late or anytime. Many people go to the buffet and so would not particularly care, many others would happily go to the buffet, still others are flexible in their needs. I don't think it unreasonable for someone who feels strongly to make their request known.

Edited by N00B

Many times I disagree with your posts, but this time you are right on! I don't understand why someone/anyone feels they are more important than others and they are entitled to getting what they want while the poor sap who has been waiting and doesn't have the nerve or whatever to email the Maitre D', which shouldn't be encouraged in the first place, gets stuck. It's just not fair to them.

I know life isn't fair, but just because you cruised on another line 10,000 times doesn't mean you should be ahead of me if I am waitlisted. I don't think that writing to John to be given what you want isn't right either. He does a lot of things to accommodate people but at what expense to others? Why can't people stand in line like all the others? Why are YOU more important than I am? Is it just because YOU think so? Ok, flame away, but if you were the one who didn't get what you wanted because someone else wrote or emailed, you would be complaining on here.

This is called "using your resources". It's not a DYKWIA situation. Not like they are saying "I am PLT, I want early dinner. Move me!"

Nothing wrong with sending the email or asking John. I would consider it the perk/advantage of investing time in resources like CC.

This is called "using your resources". It's not a DYKWIA situation. Not like they are saying "I am PLT, I want early dinner. Move me!"

Nothing wrong with sending the email or asking John. I would consider it the perk/advantage of investing time in resources like CC.

As per the most anti-DYKWIA community made up of many elitists, it would be considered DYKWIA (see one of the definitive DYKWIA threads here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html, among other threads and top tier airline loyalty program Facebook groups).

According to the brand ambassador, it is extremely frowned upon to email the ships' onboard Maitre d'.

Edited by Disconnections

I promised to report back on my table assignment and here's the outcome.

I did go visit the maître d' ...I got there early but still had to wait about 20 minutes. I had been assigned a table for 10, and the maître d' said 7 people had been assigned to the table, all "singles." When I went to dinner, it was only me and a very nice man and 8 empty seats staring back at us, not the lively table I'd hoped for.

The next day, in Catalina, I met a fun couple. I asked them how their dining table was and they said, "Terrible!" They had a table for 10 also, with 4 empty seats and 2 couples who didn't speak English.

I joined them for dinner that night, and it was the 3 of us and 7 empty seats but we had a nice bottle of wine and good conversation (and a charmingly gracious waiter.). I dined with them the rest of the trip.

So that's the update.

On another line, we had a big, oval table for 8, right inside the dining room, close to the door. Every night, we saw the same people walk past us and many commented about the lack of people at our table. The entire 12 night cruise we were the only 2 to show. Each night, we chose different seats at the large table.

On the last day of the cruise, we talked to a couple that mentioned they were assigned a table, but NEVER went to the dining room, as they NEVER do. When I asked why they didn't request any time dining, they said their TA handles all that and it doesnt matter to them what they get, since they NEVER go to the dining room.

My point is, if you don't plan to go to the dining room, please select anytime, as it could mean someone wanting to sit with others, might not be sitting alone.

On another line, we had a big, oval table for 8, right inside the dining room, close to the door. Every night, we saw the same people walk past us and many commented about the lack of people at our table. The entire 12 night cruise we were the only 2 to show. Each night, we chose different seats at the large table.

On the last day of the cruise, we talked to a couple that mentioned they were assigned a table, but NEVER went to the dining room, as they NEVER do. When I asked why they didn't request any time dining, they said their TA handles all that and it doesnt matter to them what they get, since they NEVER go to the dining room.

My point is, if you don't plan to go to the dining room, please select anytime, as it could mean someone wanting to sit with others, might not be sitting alone.

I disagree. If I'm sailing on certain lines and like the guests in your example who "never" visit the dining room, it wouldn't make sense to book Anytime Dining. On Royal Caribbean, if you are assigned to Anytime Dining, you are required to prepay your gratuities. Why should someone be mandated to tip the waitstaff in the dining room if they aren't even going to utilize those services?

I'd prefer to book Early/Late and not bother to show up. Luckily, I don't have this problem as I don't have the mindset of avoiding the dining room each night.

*in before comments about eating anywhere on the ship and how some waiters are deployed the buffet occasionally*

Edited by Disconnections

I disagree. If I'm sailing on certain lines and like the guests in your example who "never" visit the dining room, it wouldn't make sense to book Anytime Dining. On Royal Caribbean, if you are assigned to Anytime Dining, you are required to prepay your gratuities. Why should someone be mandated to tip the waitstaff in the dining room if they aren't even going to utilize those services?

I'd prefer to book Early/Late and not bother to show up. Luckily, I don't have this problem as I don't have the mindset of avoiding the dining room each night.

*in before comments about eating anywhere on the ship and how some waiters are deployed the buffet occasionally*

when you are in anytime status== before being seated the hostess should be asking your cabin number. That wait staff serving your table that night gets the tips. If you do NOT go to the dining room the tips are then given to the "buffet" workers.

Having a traditional table that is not used-- that wait staff got your tips and did no work where the buffet workers got nothing for that night

Its prepaid because MANY people used anytime dining and tipped only their waiter-- not the assistants. so the waiter needed to split that tip with that and actually made a lot less money.

when you are in anytime status== before being seated the hostess should be asking your cabin number. That wait staff serving your table that night gets the tips. If you do NOT go to the dining room the tips are then given to the "buffet" workers.

Having a traditional table that is not used-- that wait staff got your tips and did no work where the buffet workers got nothing for that night

Its prepaid because MANY people used anytime dining and tipped only their waiter-- not the assistants. so the waiter needed to split that tip with that and actually made a lot less money.

As it does not state such in their website, I would be led to believe as everyone is required to prepay the gratuities for anytime dining, they would be totaled, pooled and split internal accordingly. If I was a guest who never visited the dining room on Royal Caribbean, I would choose traditional dining to avoid prepaying gratuities, not attend traditional dining and remove the automatic gratuities. I don't believe in tipping for services not rendered, nor do I believe in tipping prior to receiving a service.

Luckily, as stated before, I am not one to miss the dining room every night on a cruise.

Edited by Disconnections

Also known as "Rationalization".

And a more correct characterization of "DYKWIA" in this situation would be "zero-sum game" (for each winner there is a loser).

On Royal Caribbean, if you are assigned to Anytime Dining, you are required to prepay your gratuities. Why should someone be mandated to tip the waitstaff in the dining room if they aren't even going to utilize those services?

On Carnival, you ARE NOT required to prepay gratuities for Your Time Dining.

On Carnival, you ARE NOT required to prepay gratuities for Your Time Dining.

Please review where I used these key elements to support my statement:

1. "on certain lines"

2. "If I'm sailing on Royal Caribbean"

I'm well aware they are not required on Carnival Cruise Lines. The poster I quoted was talking in general and did not directly reference Carnival.

Edited by Disconnections