First Time Oxygen User - Questions

Californian

I just got put on oxygen for night time use. Can I bring a standard concentrator on board with me or must I rent one? I'm only going for four nights and the company I talked about renting a portable one wants to charge for a minimum of one week. If I can bring my own standard concentrator, it would be a savings for me.

I just got put on oxygen for night time use. Can I bring a standard concentrator on board with me or must I rent one? I'm only going for four nights and the company I talked about renting a portable one wants to charge for a minimum of one week. If I can bring my own standard concentrator, it would be a savings for me.

Yes, you can bring your own. You don't say what line you're going on, but most have "preferred providers" that will have the equipment waiting in your cabin and you leave it there when you leave. Either way, contact the line's special needs department to let them know you will be having a concentrator, and they will most likely have an extension cord waiting in the cabin (this can depend on the line, again).

I cruise with oxygen for night time use but travel with a POC that provides both continuous and pulse flow. Cabins on most cruise lines are on the small side, even balcony ones.

Unless your standard concentrator is one of the new down sized models it might prove difficult to lug on board, especially if you cannot go directly to your cabin upon boarding.

I assume you live near enough to drive to the pier, but since your cruise will be going into a foriegn port (Ensanada I can guess) the company that provides your equipment might have some restrictions on where you take it. We rented a POC from my provider several times when we first started traveling after I was put on O2, and decided to spend the $$$ to buy my own.

You will need to let the cruise line special needs department know you will be using oxygen and they might ask for a form from your physician be submitted.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself and happy cruising!

Dian

I use a POC most of the time and sleep with it during the night. I have a Resporonics Simply Go. You don't mention your flow needs. Mine produces up to 6 LPM pulse. It also can produce 2 LPM continuous. I have traveled all over the world with it. International flights, land tours and cruise ships. Never have a problem. Make sure you have enough extra batteries to meet the your needs. Good luck. Safe travels.

I use a POC most of the time and sleep with it during the night. I have a Resporonics Simply Go. You don't mention your flow needs. Mine produces up to 6 LPM pulse. It also can produce 2 LPM continuous. I have traveled all over the world with it. International flights, land tours and cruise ships. Never have a problem. Make sure you have enough extra batteries to meet the your needs. Good luck. Safe travels.

Belaggio Cruisers--

Husband has been on oxygen for years. Has recently moved to oxygen 24/7. This is our first trip with a POC and we are apprehensive.

May I ask questions about the POC? We have the same POC

1. Do you use pulse flow or continuous flow? We do continuous flow.

2. If your seat on the plane has electrical power, can you plug POC in to save battery power?

3. Airline says you have to have batteries with sufficient power equal to 150 percent of flight time. Is that actual flying time or flying time plus layover time?

4. How did you transport extra batteries? In carry-ons?

I may have more questions but this will get us started.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Judy--Little Rock

Belaggio Cruisers--

Husband has been on oxygen for years. Has recently moved to oxygen 24/7. This is our first trip with a POC and we are apprehensive.

May I ask questions about the POC? We have the same POC

1. Do you use pulse flow or continuous flow? We do continuous flow.

2. If your seat on the plane has electrical power, can you plug POC in to save battery power?

3. Airline says you have to have batteries with sufficient power equal to 150 percent of flight time. Is that actual flying time or flying time plus layover time?

4. How did you transport extra batteries? In carry-ons?

I may have more questions but this will get us started.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Judy--Little Rock

Hi Judy, I'm going to jump in, too. DH has a Simply Go also (the older version from about 2-3 years ago).

1. DH uses pulse and continuous depending on the situation. Simply Go handles both but continuous has a lower limit for continuous.

2. We have yet to get a seat with a plug, but I don't see why you couldn't plug in if you have one. You just can't count on having a plug since the planes are not always the ones they say you'll have.

3. The airline access desk can tell you how many hours you have to cover with the batteries. You can call their desk as soon as you have booked your flights. (If we have a connecting flight into Denver or Salt Lake City we are sure to have enough battery hours to cover the time on the ground since he has trouble with any altitude over 2000 ft.) They also will usually have a form they want your doctor to sign and you have to fax or email in to them or their coordinator.

4. The extra batteries have to be carried with you in the cabin. They would be considered medical equipment and not considered part of the carry-on limit. The Simply Go case has a zippered pocket for an extra battery, and then we also got the extra battery pouch/case that can carry 2 or 3 batteries. I believe it is illegal to put the batteries in your checked luggage.

We always request wheelchair assistance in the airports. It is so difficult for DH to walk distance, but with the POC and extra carry-ons it is good to have an extra hand to help manage everything.

Edited by marelind

Marelind, thanks for your input. Our flight is not until Feb/Mar 2017; so I can't really do much this early. I talked to Delta airline about my questions; I do feel better. My husband uses continuous flow so number of batteries is an issue.

We always get wheelchair assistance at the airports and with embarkation on the ship. I also upgraded our seats to Delta comfort to get a tiny bit more space. We rent equipment for our cabin from Special Needs at Sea.

Traveling is not easy when there are medical issues; but we are able to cruise with lots of planning.

Judy

I have the same kind of poc. I only need it for flying. Been all over the world with it.

Tried to use the plug on the plane. It did not work not enough power. If you have flight connection you can charge in the airport. I have 7 batteries now and use a small backpack and put on my poc I also use wheelchair assists in the airport because it wears me out trying to pull the poc and batteries.

Most of the airlines are great. Alaska was not as friendly as the others. Transferring to overseas airlines can be a problem. Be sure care all of your paper work. Some info is not always on every connecting flight. The cruise ship will get you a cord so you can put the poc next to the bed

Have a great cruise.

I have the same kind of poc. I only need it for flying. Been all over the world with it.

Tried to use the plug on the plane. It did not work not enough power. If you have flight connection you can charge in the airport. I have 7 batteries now and use a small backpack and put on my poc I also use wheelchair assists in the airport because it wears me out trying to pull the poc and batteries.

Most of the airlines are great. Alaska was not as friendly as the others. Transferring to overseas airlines can be a problem. Be sure care all of your paper work. Some info is not always on every connecting flight. The cruise ship will get you a cord so you can put the poc next to the bed

Have a great cruise.

My DH also uses a POC. We borrow a Sequel from our oxygen supplier, because our Resperonics only goes to 2 lts. He needs 3 sometimes. We tried plugging into a plug on an AA plane coming to NYS from CA. and it did not work. I have heard since then that there is not enough power for a POC. It is a pain lugging all the batteries as they are heavy, but hey, we do what we have to do, don't we? DH also uses a mobility scooter, so that is another thing, where to put the POC. Fortunately it does fit in front of his legs on the scooter, but is heavy to lift on an off.

My DW has expressed an interest in an Princess Alaska cruisetour that includes some motorcoach and train travel; I have concerns about being able to plug in my Oxlife Independence POC on the bus and train. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this?

I know that I can get 110V at the lodge and aboard ship so I should have no worries there and I will be carrying several batteries for my POC. It will re-charge on 110V and hold its own on 12V.

TIA

Re Respironics Simply Go

A poster on another board reported that her POC (not a Simply Go) damaged the motherboard when she plugged the unit in an electric plug at the airport to charge. This happened multiple times. Has anyone experienced any problems when charging a Simply Go at an airport?

Others have reported not being able to plug this POC on airplanes even if there is an outlet for their use. I have purchased an airline plug for the Simply Go in hopes that we will have outlets at our seats. Has anyone used the airline plug? Has anyone had any success in charging this unit through electrical outlets on an airplane?

Thanks for any information you can provide. This is our first time flying with a POC; thus we are apprehensive.

Judy