I need some ideas of what to in Tortola

Gabrielle R.

First time visit to this island, and I really don't know where to start looking. I am interested in many things, I snorkel, I love history, I love nature. I am really interested in the Baths... DH does NOT swim. so swimming up to the Baths is not an option... Royal had an excursion to the Baths- but I ruled it out because DH would have to swim up to the Stones.... I'd do fine... him.. nope.

He is FINE if we are on land or sea- he just doesn't jump into water over his head. It would be great to spend time near the Baths, but also see the island... OR?? That's where I need help. What are some things we should see or do? I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks, that helps.

You're in port from 8 - 5, and the Disney Magic 8 - 5:30. The Magic holds about the same as the Serenade (2,500) so it could be a lot worse.

Speedy's ferry leaves for Virgin Gorda at 9 and 10:40 with a 3:30 return. The 9AM ferry would give you 5.5 hrs on VG, plenty of time to visit the Baths and Devils Bay, take a little tour of the Valley area and have a nice lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe or another spot.

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

The taxi drivers will drop you and pick you up and the fares are reasonable at $4 - 6pp each way. With the 3:30 return you'd get back to Road Town about 4 and have 1/2 HR to shop Sunny Caribbee for some spices or rubs on the way back to the ship.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

I would guess that many of the people going to the Baths from the Magic will take the 10AM ferry, if so you'd have a head start on them at least. It will still be a bit crowded with others from your ship but it's worth the trip I think. $30pp round trip ferry + taxi fares.

If not interested an island tour of Tortola with a beach stop is a nice relaxing day. Drivers at the dock offer very reasonably priced tours. Tortola is a more lush and beautiful island in my opinion, and the beaches are gorgeous. Or just taxi to Long Bay (West End) or Brewers Bay. Brewers offers good off the beach snorkeling and a great sandwich and drinks at Nicole's beach bar. Taxi is $8pp each way. Cane Garden Bay offers more beach bars and people but no snorkeling.

Another option is a purely beach bar day on Jost Van Dyke, White Bay is home to the Soggy $ Bar and other popular bars.

Edited by blue_water

Probably the best excursion in the BVI is a catamaran daysail with amazing snorkel spots like the Indians and Norman Island, and lunch on Cooper Island or Marina Cay. Not a great option for DH, but what an experience for you. Kuralu and Aristocat are a couple options.

You are lucky to have 9 hrs in port, many ships are there only 6 hrs. So enjoy your time there!

Since you love nature and history Tortola will probably appeal to you, and maybe we'll see you return on a land vacation and take that daysail. :)

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing close to the port other than some nice little shops and restaurants. The area of Road Town is primarily a financial district, but there is a botanical garden about a 20 minute walk from the pier -

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cruise+Ship+Pier,+British+Virgin+Islands/Botanic+Rd,+Road+Town,+British+Virgin+Islands/@18.4247552,-64.6175266,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c0576acfe77f291:0x115ffa1119c98d05!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c057402130a8081:0xd0cb8dd44460b948!3e2

But I would stop by the visitor center at the cruise pier for ideas, the girls there are very helpful!

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...