Question regarding Business Class lounges in Barcelona and Frankfurt

Camelia-

We've just booked a one way flight from Barcelona to Toronto on Air Canada (connecting via Frankfurt). Thankfully we had enough Aeroplan miles saved so that we could purchase business class tickets.

My question is regarding use of the Business class lounges. Will we be able to use the lounge in Barcelona even though we purchased our seats with points? The reason I ask is because last year my aunt was in the same situation and she told me that she was not allowed to use the lounge. I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding on her part or if indeed it was the rule? I suppose I have the same question regarding the business class lounge in Frankfurt. Our layover will be about 4 hours so it would be nice to be able to use it.

Thank you very much for any clarification that you can provide!

Camelia

Yes I did go to the website but it didn't address my particular concern - does it matter if you purchased your seat with cash or with miles - do you still have the same privileges? If that's the case I don't know why my aunt had the problem but I'm happy to know that this is the case!

Camelia

I don't know what happened with your aunt.

If you are holding an international business boarding pass on a Star Alliance carrier, you have access to Star Alliance business class lounges. Makes no difference if it was paid for with money or with miles.

The lounge at FRA can get full; maybe that's why your aunt couldn't get in.

Edited by 6rugrats

I don't know what happened with your aunt.

If you are holding an international business boarding pass on a Star Alliance carrier, you have access to Star Alliance business class lounges. Makes no difference if it was paid for with money or with miles.

The lounge at FRA can get full; maybe that's why your aunt couldn't get in.

At FRA there are 3 or 4 Business class lounges.

Yes I did go to the website but it didn't address my particular concern - does it matter if you purchased your seat with cash or with miles - do you still have the same privileges? If that's the case I don't know why my aunt had the problem but I'm happy to know that this is the case!

Camelia

I can confirm that business class tickets purchased with Aeroplan tickets do indeed grant you lounge access. That said, there was recently a thread in the AE section of Flyertalk that mentioned that there were no longer any lounges that could be accessed by Star Alliance flyers - so if your aunt's experience was at BCN, that may be why.

I can confirm that business class tickets purchased with Aeroplan tickets do indeed grant you lounge access. That said, there was recently a thread in the AE section of Flyertalk that mentioned that there were no longer any lounges that could be accessed by Star Alliance flyers - so if your aunt's experience was at BCN, that may be why.

In BCN or FRA? In FRA Star Alliance members on Business Class tickets can use LH Lounges. Been there, done that, many times.

In BCN or FRA? In FRA Star Alliance members on Business Class tickets can use LH Lounges. Been there, done that, many times.

CruiserBruce,

Can you please tell me if there is a specific lounge we should use when connecting through Frankfurt? I see that there are more than one mentioned? Where is it located please? It would be great to know this beforehand so that we can go there directly and not waste time searching!

I really appreciate your help!

Camelia

A quick Google search will get you maps of the FRA set up.

Coming from BCN, you will likely arrive at Terminal B, (slight chance of Terminal A) and definitely depart out of Terminal Z. Note- Terminal A and Z are the same- A is the bottom floor of Z. But Z is for international departures. A is for arrivals, and domestic departures.

So, head for Z. Right after you clear security, there will be a LH lounge on the left.

Edited by CruiserBruce