Baltimore Question for Locals

Prof Peg

May 24, 2015 we will be taking our first cruise out of Baltimore (usually we fly south, but that's getting expensive). We are driving down from the Syracuse, NY area and the map programs have two different routes suggested. One takes 95 through the Ft. McHenry Tunnel and then the first exit. The other way that has been suggested is coming in on Route 83 (it looks like its through the downtown area). If its early morning or mid-morning, does anyone have a suggestion as to which route would be better.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. This could be the start of more "local" cruising for us. :D

Are you driving down the day of the cruise?

If you want to get a glimpse of the Inner Harbor, take I-83 all the way to the end (President St) and turn right on Lambert, then left on Light, follow that all around the Harbor; it'll turn into Key Highway. Right after you pass under I-95, turn left on E. McComas st. (You'll see the ship.)

If you just just want to get to the ship, take the I-95 route. No city driving that way. There are several large rest areas with restaurants in Delaware and Maryland before you get to Baltimore.

Aloha,

John

I suggest coming down I-83 south to 695 east to 95 south. It should be quicker that way and will keep you out of the city. Once on 95 south follow thru the Fort McHenry tunnel and take the first exit once you go thru the tunnel. Remember to stay in the far right hand lane because the exit is right after you come thru the tunnel

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so very much for your help!

Yes, we will be driving down the day of the cruise. The maps all say about 5-1/2 hours but we figure more like 6-1/2 to 7 with rest stops, food, and taking it easy. Like I said, it will be our first time out of Baltimore and we're looking forward to it. We've done Boston and that was an easy ride, unfortunately Carnival decided to abandon them!

Have a great day!

I suggest coming down I-83 south to 695 east to 95 south. It should be quicker that way and will keep you out of the city. Once on 95 south follow thru the Fort McHenry tunnel and take the first exit once you go thru the tunnel. Remember to stay in the far right hand lane because the exit is right after you come thru the tunnel

By taking the directions you mentioned you will have to travel about 25 miles or so out of the way. I would travel down 83 and take the short ride thru downtown.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

May 24 is a Sunday. I-83 through downtown should be fine.

But when I did it I took 83 to 695 around the west side and then up 95 to the cruise port, avoiding tunnel tolls that you'd get going around the east side. :)

I would avoid going around the west side and coming up 95 as there is major construction on 95 just south of the cruise port and at times it's the construction zone from hell since you never know what lanes are open and what are closed.

By taking the directions you mentioned you will have to travel about 25 miles or so out of the way. I would travel down 83 and take the short ride thru downtown.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

with them being an out of towner it should be easier. Your suggestion will bring them thru the heart of the city with lights, construction, and traffic. 695 will be a little longer mileage wise but shorter time and easier directions to follow