Car Service/Taxi Cape Liberty to Manhattan

Karanja

Arriving on Quantum of the Seas at Cape Liberty on 10th November.

After baggage pick up, are taxis available for a trip into Manhattan or should a taxi be phoned for locally when through immigration/customs? What would the approximate cost be with fare/tolls/tip to the Upper East Side?

Querying for someone from the UK, and thank you.

While there are taxis available at the pier...there is a taxi dispatcher responsible for organizing the services...my personal choice would be to pre book one of the large NY City-based car services such as :

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Expect fare, tolls and tip to total in the $75-80 range for the car services mentioned above.

While there are taxis available at the pier...there is a taxi dispatcher responsible for organizing the services...my personal choice would be to pre book one of the large NY City-based car services such as :

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Expect fare, tolls and tip to total in the $75-80 range for the car services mentioned above.

Yes, thanks. I use Carmel, and the quote was $47 +Toll = Tips. The res. agent said to allow one hour or the car to arrive after phoning.

Yes, thanks. I use Carmel, and the quote was $47 +Toll = Tips. The res. agent said to allow one hour or the car to arrive after phoning.

If you pre-book, there won't be an hour wait for the car...they will stage the car a stone's throw from the cruise terminal...but you run some risk of having to pay waiting time charges if the ship arrives late or the disembarkation process is slower than normal.

Unfortunately at this point no one knows how long disembarkation will typically take for the Quantum.

I'm hesitant to give timing advice for the Quantum because there are so many variables and unknowns. She arrives on a Monday morning, which means you're dealing with the am NYC rush hour. She has more passengers than the EX, many of whom are not local and no one will have a car parked and waiting for them to hop into at CL. No one knows if the current Bayonne taxi dispatching system is equipped to handle this.

Then you have the question of whether the new terminal will be ready. If not, then all the passengers will have to ride buses to the old terminal. There will probably be more non US citizens, so immigration could be a mess.

Since it's the Inaugural run, there could be some sort of media frenzy going on. I'd be tempted to wait and see what happens and call a car service that morning. An hour lead time isn't very much. It's not like you're going to just be able to walk off the ship, collect your luggage, and get through immigration in 15 minutes.

I'm hesitant to give timing advice for the Quantum because there are so many variables and unknowns. She arrives on a Monday morning, which means you're dealing with the am NYC rush hour. She has more passengers than the EX, many of whom are not local and no one will have a car parked and waiting for them to hop into at CL. No one knows if the current Bayonne taxi dispatching system is equipped to handle this.

Then you have the question of whether the new terminal will be ready. If not, then all the passengers will have to ride buses to the old terminal. There will probably be more non US citizens, so immigration could be a mess.

Since it's the Inaugural run, there could be some sort of media frenzy going on. I'd be tempted to wait and see what happens and call a car service that morning. An hour lead time isn't very much. It's not like you're going to just be able to walk off the ship, collect your luggage, and get through immigration in 15 minutes.

You paint the possible scenario so I will warn them to be patient and phone when there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have read that there is a shuttle service to EWR? Is this a shared van? Where do you find it parked and can you prebook or do you just pay on board?

How much is it? with thanks.

There is a shared ride van to EWR at $16 per person. No reservations...you just pay as you board.

No one can say at this juncture where it will be located when the new terminal opens, but if you turn left after exiting the current terminal, the vans are located near the far end of the "tent" that provides cover over the exit/entrance area.

There is a shared ride van to EWR at $16 per person. No reservations...you just pay as you board.

No one can say at this juncture where it will be located when the new terminal opens, but if you turn left after exiting the current terminal, the vans are located near the far end of the "tent" that provides cover over the exit/entrance area.

Thanks that sounds perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
Arriving on Quantum of the Seas at Cape Liberty on 10th November.

After baggage pick up, are taxis available for a trip into Manhattan or should a taxi be phoned for locally when through immigration/customs? What would the approximate cost be with fare/tolls/tip to the Upper East Side?

Querying for someone from the UK, and thank you.

Uber might be worth it. Download the app to your phone and it gives you a quote before you even order the car!

Uber might be worth it. Download the app to your phone and it gives you a quote before you even order the car!

You couldn't pay me to use Uber in NJ. There's no way to verify that the driver/vehicle are properly licensed and insured to provide livery service. This is a serious problem outside of the few places like NY City and California that have forced Uber to comply with licensing and insurance laws and regulations.

There is no shortage of legitimate car service operators serving Cape Liberty. There's no need to take the risk inherent in using Uber in NJ.

You couldn't pay me to use Uber in NJ. There's no way to verify that the driver/vehicle are properly licensed and insured to provide livery service. This is a serious problem outside of the few places like NY City and California that have forced Uber to comply with licensing and insurance laws and regulations.

There is no shortage of legitimate car service operators serving Cape Liberty. There's no need to take the risk inherent in using Uber in NJ.

That's true, I always forget how different it can be even though it's so close!