Dover to London

coatimom

We are going to need to get from Dover to London. Not sure that we want to use the ship transportation, this is our first cruise on NCL, so not sure how they operate their transportation system. If anyone can tell me about that it would be great.

Otherwise, what did others do. We are Docking Tuesday October 6.

Thank you in advance.

We used the National Express bus, as we were looking for the cheapest option and that was it, going away. They have what they call 'Fun Fares' and we paid 5 pound PP each way. (we used them going to Dover also). Now we had another 4 days post cruise stay in London so we were in no hurry to get back to London. Many have flights booked right after their cruise and want to get back to London and Heathrow ASAP. That would mean the train, or private limo or cab (very expensive) or ship's transfers.

It all depends on how quickly you need to get back to London and how is your budget.

Cheers

Len

Most cruise lines have transfers on embarkment and disembarkment days going to/from ports/ airports. Check with NCL or your travel agent.

I am on a Princess cruise out of Dover. I am using http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk. They only go cruise days. They will drop you off at certain London hotels or Heathrow (late flight). You should do self disembark, where you carry your own luggage off the ship instead of putting your luggage out the last night.

You can also take a taxi from the cruise port to the ferry terminal to take the National Express Coach wwwnationalexpress.com to London Victoria Coach station.

We are going to need to get from Dover to London.

London - meaning a day or two in central London, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower of London, British Museum and such?

- Use a Nat Express coach to London Victoria coach station

- Or the train to Victoria or London Bridge or St Pancras or Charing Cross or Waterloo East.

Minor pros & cons between coach & train, and the best choice may depend on the location of your London hotel. But both are pretty simple, much much cheaper than ship's transfer or private transfer, and almost as quick.

London - meaning Heathrow (or Gatwick) airport?

- there's no direct public transport between Dover & London's airports. Broadly you have to take the Nat Express coach or the train into central London, then back out of central London to the airport. For Heathrow, the Nat Express coach is easier because you simply change coaches at Victoria coach station. For Gatwick, the train is easier because you simply change trains at Victoria train station. But both Nat Express coach & train are time-consuming, and unsuitable unless you have a late flight.

For this route, ship's transfer coaches are simple & direct, and worth the premium. Or a private transfer if your flight time is before about 1pm, or if there are four or more of you.

Spending time in London?

Or heading for an airport? In which case please quote your airport, flight time, date etc.

JB :)

The bus is cheapest, but the train is not much more and is much faster. It is a short taxi ride from the dock to Dover Priory Station (8/10 GBP)

Look here for more detailed options. http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_london_transfers.htm

Using this site I saved 10 GBP /pp for Internationalfriends.co.uk Dover to our London Hotel.

Thanks.

Another option that your cruise line will probably offer is bus transport into central London after stopping for a few hours in Canterbury. If you're interested in exploring this quaint little town and historical Cathedral, you might consider this. I found it reasonably priced since I viewed it as another sightseeing venture and not just bus transport. Your luggage remains on the bus while you explore Canterbury on your own (in our case). After Canterbury, the bus dropped us at a central London hotel which was near a tube stop if you weren't staying at that hotel.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I am on a Princess cruise out of Dover. I am using http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk. They only go cruise days. They will drop you off at certain London hotels or Heathrow (late flight). You should do self disembark, where you carry your own luggage off the ship instead of putting your luggage out the last night.

The bus is cheapest, but the train is not much more and is much faster. It is a short taxi ride from the dock to Dover Priory Station (8/10 GBP)

Look here for more detailed options. http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_london_transfers.htm

Check the prices between NCL disembarkment day excursions and Internationalfriends and see what they each offer. I just booked our trip back to our London hotel through http://www.londontoolkit.com and saved 10GBP/pp for Internationalfriends coach. Their coaches wait for you dockside, and includes a stop at Canterbury and Leeds before dropping people off at certain London, Heathrow hotels and Heathrow.

Thank you all for the help. We are leaving the following day so we will just have the one day in London. We are staying near Paddington Station. The other two travelers that go with us are not the lightest of packers. So the least amount that we have to handle the luggage is the best.

Appreciate the help

Check the prices between NCL disembarkment day excursions and Internationalfriends and see what they each offer. I just booked our trip back to our London hotel through http://www.londontoolkit.com and saved 10GBP/pp for Internationalfriends coach. Their coaches wait for you dockside, and includes a stop at Canterbury and Leeds before dropping people off at certain London, Heathrow hotels and Heathrow.

Do you own Stock in this company? Just kidding. I checked the site and to be honest, they are expensive if you just want transportation back to London. I understand that they do tours also, but if you are just looking for transportation from Dover back to London, which is what the OP asked about, either National Express or the rail lines are their best bet.

Now if they wanted to tour the countryside, then your company seems very nice.

Cheers

Len

I'm pretty sure that a trip from Dover to London (75 miles) isn't going to stop in Leeds (which is 200 miles the other side of London). Given the accuracy of this post, I would take the entire comment with an ounce of caution.

I'm pretty sure that a trip from Dover to London (75 miles) isn't going to stop in Leeds (which is 200 miles the other side of London). Given the accuracy of this post, I would take the entire comment with an ounce of caution.

I think they mean Leeds Castle....

Leeds castle, near Maidstone & nowhere near Leeds. :)

Ship's transfer to Victoria coach station (or a specific hotel in Victoria) competes with Nat Express coach or the train for a simple transfer.

The Internationalfriends tour-transfer via Canterbury & Leeds castle advertised on http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_london_transfers.htm & mentioned by Phabric delivers you to your central London hotel, and competes with ship's tour-transfer via Canterbury to Victoria coach station or a specified nearby hotel as mentioned by MHC.

I'll certainly add a plug for http://www.londontoolkit.com/ as an excellent source of great logistical info about London, and travel options for London's airports, and the seaports of Dover, Southampton & Harwich.

Edited by John Bull

I should have mentioned it is Leeds Castle with Canterbury.

We have been to London a few times, taking this tour with Internationalfriends is a good way to have transportation and see some other parts of Britain before be dropped off directly at our London hotel.

• 1 year later...

For this route, ship's transfer coaches are simple & direct, and worth the premium. Or a private transfer if your flight time is before about 1pm, or if there are four or more of you.

JB: Might you be able to opine about whether the following would work:

1. Saturday disembarkation

2. Ship scheduled to arrive @ 0700

3. Small ship: 450 passengers

4. prearranged private transfer

5. Heathrow Departure to USA @ 1220

Many thanks.

Edited by notjaded