Think twice before dealing with Al and Chuck Travel!!

Chicken_Lips

I'll let you form whatever opinion you have about this travel agency, but here's how my first experience is going. The nightmare hasn't ended yet! :mad:

I've always wanted to attend the Drag Stars at Sea cruise, it looks like fun and it's reasonably priced. I submitted my reservation form on the Al and Chuck Travel website last week with all my info. I wish I hadn't!

Apparently Al and Chuck Travel is just a front for a mainstream chain of travel agencies called Legendary Journeys based out of Florida. Google "Legendary Journeys", you will find complaint after complaint from everybody and their mother! It's not a real gay related business, just one that equally exploits gays and straights.

One of their "travel agents" sent me an invoice that had incorrect totals and left out itemized descriptions from the list of charges. Even though I specifically requested that I didn't want their overpriced travel insurance, they still apply it anyway and expect you to contact them to reject it (in writing). It didn't add up. On top of that, they expect you to download a contract to sign that basically requires you to give up your rights and hand them over a non-refundable deposit. When have you ever had to do that when booking a cruise before? I know the cruise line has an implied passenger contract, but not a travel agency. Warning sign!! I am not signing any contract, especially from a business that is obviously shady.

I tried contacting them, but they ignored me, at least until I threatened to report them for credit card fraud for giving me a fraudulent invoice. They contacted me right away and straightened out their charges and told me that I didn't have to submit a signed contract, that my email communications were good enough. ***!

These idiots then tell me that they are finally submitting my reservation request to their "accounting department" to charge my credit card accordingly. It's been a week and they still haven't charged me a deposit! Thank god. I just wrote them back and told them to cancel everything and they sent me an automated response that they'll be out of the office for over a week for the Independence Holiday (it's Labor Day weekend). What kind of travel agency remains closed for that long?

I'll let you guys know what happens if they ever return to the office. What a freakin joke. I usually book my cruises on well known mainstream travel websites in under 5 minutes with a paid deposit. This is ridiculous.

Rupaul, in the future, you need to ensure that your name isn't attached to such bogus businesses. Your reputation is on the line.

Chicken_Lips

Well I finally resolved the issue. I got them to cancel my reservation without any problems. They were angry with me for requesting a proper invoice, I never did get an updated one. This is not an honest and reputable business. If something went wrong, then it would have been on me for not having proper documentation.

Just be weary of signing their BS contract. I'm glad I didn't. It saved my butt. I've read horror stories on this website about gay/lesbian couples who purchased cruises and non-refundable airfare, just to have Al & Chuck Travel change their itinerary at the last minute. These couples were out the original airfare and had to fork over additional cash to purchase last minute overpriced airline tickets or risk losing everything they originally paid for. Since they signed that stupid contract, everything was non-refundable. I have read several instances of this happening with Al & Chuck Travel. It sounds like a forced bait and switch tactic with that dumb contract.

Watch out, and if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Well I finally resolved the issue. I got them to cancel my reservation without any problems. They were angry with me for requesting a proper invoice, I never did get an updated one. This is not an honest and reputable business. If something went wrong, then it would have been on me for not having proper documentation.

Just be weary of signing their BS contract. I'm glad I didn't. It saved my butt. I've read horror stories on this website about gay/lesbian couples who purchased cruises and non-refundable airfare, just to have Al & Chuck Travel change their itinerary at the last minute. These couples were out the original airfare and had to fork over additional cash to purchase last minute overpriced airline tickets or risk losing everything they originally paid for. Since they signed that stupid contract, everything was non-refundable. I have read several instances of this happening with Al & Chuck Travel. It sounds like a forced bait and switch tactic with that dumb contract.

Watch out, and if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

This is WHY I never go to a gay or other type travel company. I use a local agent I can trust. We don't bother with Atlantis/RSVP & their ilk. You get over charged for the priviledge of doing a gay cruise. Remember that you are helping pay to "charter" a ship for these organizatons. We never have any problems on straight cruises. There's plenty of us on board. You can organize a large group of friends to do your own gay cruise.Just contact a local agen(or ask friends for one they like) and do it yourself. We did one called the "Cruizen Cousins"years back. What a blast we had!

This is WHY I never go to a gay or other type travel company. I use a local agent I can trust. We don't bother with Atlantis/RSVP & their ilk. You get over charged for the priviledge of doing a gay cruise. Remember that you are helping pay to "charter" a ship for these organizatons. We never have any problems on straight cruises. There's plenty of us on board. You can organize a large group of friends to do your own gay cruise.Just contact a local agen(or ask friends for one they like) and do it yourself. We did one called the "Cruizen Cousins"years back. What a blast we had!

And that's your choice. But the RSVP and Atlantic cruises are so much more fun than the regular cruises that many people don't mind paying the extra. We have fun on every cruise, but the all-gay experience is just magical. Worth every penny.

We don't bother with Atlantis/RSVP & their ilk. You get over charged for the priviledge of doing a gay cruise. Remember that you are helping pay to "charter" a ship for these organizatons. We never have any problems on straight cruises. There's plenty of us on board. You can organize a large group of friends to do your own gay cruise.Just contact a local agen(or ask friends for one they like) and do it yourself. We did one called the "Cruizen Cousins"years back. What a blast we had!

A group of gays on a regular cruise does not make it a gay cruise; you undoubtedly will have a gay old time but it is not anything like a full gay charter! :D

Of course a gay cruise is not everybody's cup of tea, and that's OK.

Initially I wasn't going to reply since I was hoping this thread would die on it's own.

However, for ANY minority to express self-hatred against others of that minority status after the tremendous gains made over the last few decades is incredibly disturbing.

Why would anyone think that gay people are less capable of running a business?

Yes, usually one has to pay more for a gay charter but that is true of ANY charter.

It's truly sad that many elderly gay men are still stuck in the mind frame of self hatred from the 60's as demonstrated in the "Boys in the Band".

If you hate yourself and other gay men and businesses, it's YOUR problem not anyone's else.

I will continue spending my money supporting the gay community and not those that oppress us.

Edited by BayAreaBC

There's great information here....but closing the thread, let's get back to talking about cruising. THAT is what this board is about. There are other arenas to discuss issues that our community is challenged with.

Let's keep up the discussion about cruising....and it is perfectly fine to discuss that topic from a GLBT point of view.

Thanks for your cooperation.