hotels in sydney

THANK YOU! for all the information. You are all so great! As for Fosters, never tried it!! And not sure which beach we will go to. I was thinking Bondi, isn't this the one with the walk from 1 beach to another, I have it all in my notes. Hoping to see them both while in Sydney. We are leaving on the Celebrity Solstice on Jan. 27 for the 12 night to Tasmania, then over to New Zealand. Not sure which terminal Solstice leaves from.

Then, we will be back on Feb. 14, taking Saturday and Sunday to make the Grand Pacific Drive, staying in Wollowong overnight. Will return to Sydney, and the York by Swiss for 2 more nights, and board the RC Rhapsody on Feb. 17.

THANK YOU! for all the information. You are all so great! As for Fosters, never tried it!! And not sure which beach we will go to. I was thinking Bondi, isn't this the one with the walk from 1 beach to another, I have it all in my notes. Hoping to see them both while in Sydney. We are leaving on the Celebrity Solstice on Jan. 27 for the 12 night to Tasmania, then over to New Zealand. Not sure which terminal Solstice leaves from.

Then, we will be back on Feb. 14, taking Saturday and Sunday to make the Grand Pacific Drive, staying in Wollowong overnight. Will return to Sydney, and the York by Swiss for 2 more nights, and board the RC Rhapsody on Feb. 17.

Wow, that sounds great!! Have done the Rhapsody Nth QLD, really enjoyed it, you'll love it :)

Both ships will leave from Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay at most a 10-15 minute walk from your hotel [i've been in a wheelchair for 5 years, only out 3 months and I walked it the other day in about 20 mins]. Neither ship fits under our Bridge.

Not sure about Wollowong but Wollongong might be a good stop :p, a nice drive but not a lot actually in Wollongong itself.

Enjoy Aus and yell f we can help, but don't try Fosters:eek:.

It is uphill from OPT to York Street but not too bad.

Both ships will leave from Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay at most a 10-15 minute walk from your hotel [i've been in a wheelchair for 5 years, only out 3 months and I walked it the other day in about 20 mins]. Neither ship fits under our Bridge.

Not sure about Wollowong but Wollongong might be a good stop :p, a nice drive but not a lot actually in Wollongong itself.

Enjoy Aus and yell f we can help, but don't try Fosters:eek:.

It is uphill from OPT to York Street but not too bad.

Yes. . .sorry on the mis spelling..you are correct! It is very late here! I'm sure I will have more questions. Are the banks open on Saturdays? I would assume the banks are all closed on Monday 26 of Jan on Australia day. We are really looking forward to being in Sydney for your celebration. We are doing a dinner cruise on the Vegabond cruise...Spirit boat.

Yes. . .sorry on the mis spelling..you are correct! It is very late here! I'm sure I will have more questions. Are the banks open on Saturdays? I would assume the banks are all closed on Monday 26 of Jan on Australia day. We are really looking forward to being in Sydney for your celebration. We are doing a dinner cruise on the Vegabond cruise...Spirit boat.

Oh boy, your trip just gets better and better :D

Don't worry about the spelling, most Aussies get it wrong.

Most banks are closed on a Saturday but there are ATM's [Automatic Teller Machines] all over the place and you can get cash from these via your card, most are Visa and Mastercard, also if you have a debit card you can get cash at most [if not all] shops.

All Banks will be closed on Australia Day, I don't know Vagabond Cruises but have had a few diner cruises on the Harbour and never had an awful one.

Most things n Australia you will find more expensive than you are used to, but you are not generally expected to tip at 20% of the cost of a meal.

If you are driving remember we drive on the left side of the road[that is the right side]. Fuel [petrol] is pretty high currently about $1.40 a litre or about $6 a gallon. and unfortunately the Aus$ is currently pretty low, about 86c I think.

can anyone suggest a reasonable priced hotel to stay in sydney the night before our cruise, proberly up to about $250, we will get to sydney about 3pm the day before the cruise

We are staying at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay for one night before our cruise in December. We think we got a good deal, on Trivago for $209.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

since you are going to wollongong, make sure you don't miss

- Northbeach - it is a lovely beach with traditional aussie beach baths, good restaurants, lighthouse etc - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wollongong+north+beach&rlz=1C1WPDB_enAU506AU506&es_sm=93&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YfhJVPO6C5b48AWo5YGwCA&ved=0CCgQsAQ

- Kiama - home of the Kiama Blowhole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiama,_New_South_Wales

- the Nan Tien Temple http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255333-d2061103-Reviews-Nan_Tien_Temple-Wollongong_New_South_Wales.html and

- Mt Keira http://visitwollongong.com.au/things-to-do/lookouts

We don't live in Wollongong but have visited there a number of times. Love it.

Also if you have more time, it is an hours drive to Fitzroy falls from Wollongong http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/southern-highlands/fitzroy-falls/attractions/fitzroy-falls-and-visitor-centre

:)

since you are going to wollongong, make sure you don't miss

- Northbeach - it is a lovely beach with traditional aussie beach baths, good restaurants, lighthouse etc - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wollongong+north+beach&rlz=1C1WPDB_enAU506AU506&es_sm=93&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YfhJVPO6C5b48AWo5YGwCA&ved=0CCgQsAQ

- Kiama - home of the Kiama Blowhole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiama,_New_South_Wales

- the Nan Tien Temple http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255333-d2061103-Reviews-Nan_Tien_Temple-Wollongong_New_South_Wales.html and

- Mt Keira http://visitwollongong.com.au/things-to-do/lookouts

We don't live in Wollongong but have visited there a number of times. Love it.

Also if you have more time, it is an hours drive to Fitzroy falls from Wollongong http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/southern-highlands/fitzroy-falls/attractions/fitzroy-falls-and-visitor-centre

:)

Depending on what time you have in the 'gong and what you are interested in I'd certainly second the Fitzroy falls and the Blowhole, but I've been to the Blowhole when the seas were flat and it's pretty disappointing.

Depending on what time you have in the 'gong and what you are interested in I'd certainly second the Fitzroy falls and the Blowhole, but I've been to the Blowhole when the seas were flat and it's pretty disappointing.

Yes the blow hole can be disappointing but it isn't too far from the gong so not too much lost if it isn't blowing :)

Thank you again! We plan to make stops to see the Illawarra Fly Tree Top Walk, and drive across the famous "bridge over the ocean" that looks so interesting. Also, I have driven in Grand Cayman a couple times (on the left) and also in St. Maarten (on the left), so I have a little experience doing this, lol. We have 2 full days to experience this wonderful part of your country. I still need to do more research on this part of our trip to have our "must sees" noted. I will definitely check into Fitzroy Falls. We do love seeing falls. We saw some blowholes in Hawaii when there, and they are beautiful when they "blow"! Thank you for the links, and I will add some of these stops to our list! :D

We have a debit card, and will be bringing some cash for incidentals, (after exchanged at our bank with no charge), but with our extended trip, don't want to carry alot of cash with us.

Thank you again! We plan to make stops to see the Illawarra Fly Tree Top Walk, and drive across the famous "bridge over the ocean" that looks so interesting. Also, I have driven in Grand Cayman a couple times (on the left) and also in St. Maarten (on the left), so I have a little experience doing this, lol. We have 2 full days to experience this wonderful part of your country. I still need to do more research on this part of our trip to have our "must sees" noted. I will definitely check into Fitzroy Falls. We do love seeing falls. We saw some blowholes in Hawaii when there, and they are beautiful when they "blow"! Thank you for the links, and I will add some of these stops to our list! :D

We have a debit card, and will be bringing some cash for incidentals, (after exchanged at our bank with no charge), but with our extended trip, don't want to carry alot of cash with us.

You have a fantastic itinerary, just remember not to stress if you are running behind schedule, it is better to miss something than to stress out and not enjoy your holiday.

:D

Do you have a PIN on your debit card.

You will need it for the ATM's and while all Aussies have to use a PIN in shops now overseas visitors can still sign, but a lot of shops will not give cash out on a signature.

While there's a lot to see in Aus make sure you kick back and enjoy as well.

Do you have a PIN on your debit card.

You will need it for the ATM's and while all Aussies have to use a PIN in shops now overseas visitors can still sign, but a lot of shops will not give cash out on a signature.

While there's a lot to see in Aus make sure you kick back and enjoy as well.

Yes, we have a PIN. We have several days on our trip with nothing planned, just some possibilities of what there is to do, and will decide once we get there. I really appreciate all the help from all you AUS CC friends! We are very excited to be coming over and seeing much of your country. With so much to see, we wanted to spend as much time as we could while we are there.

And thanks MicCanberra for all your input too. I have been reading the Aust/NZ sections on CC for the last couple years in plans for our trip, and have learned so much. I know we will really enjoy our time there, and hopefully, we may be able to visit again. Many places we will not get to in just 1 visit!

Yes, we have a PIN. We have several days on our trip with nothing planned, just some possibilities of what there is to do, and will decide once we get there. I really appreciate all the help from all you AUS CC friends! We are very excited to be coming over and seeing much of your country. With so much to see, we wanted to spend as much time as we could while we are there.

And thanks MicCanberra for all your input too. I have been reading the Aust/NZ sections on CC for the last couple years in plans for our trip, and have learned so much. I know we will really enjoy our time there, and hopefully, we may be able to visit again. Many places we will not get to in just 1 visit!

No worries at all. It is such a large country with so much to see and do, so just make the most of your time here and get a taste, so that when you return you can fulfill your wish list.:D

Visiting Illawarra Tree Top walk is a great idea, they've done a great job and the view is fantastic, I would definitely recommend it. When you drive the Grand Pacific Drive make sure you go to the park in Stanwell Tops, think it it Bald Hill Lookout. You will great a great view of the bridge and can sit back and watch the hang gliders. As for the blowhole, totally agree with all the others comments, either fantastic or dissapointing, all dependant on the seas and weather. Good luck enjoy.

I would endorse the Holiday Inn at the Rocks for Value and Location.

Shangri La is great but a bit Exxi

Cheers

Isn't this the one with the roof top pool area that you can sit and watch your ship come in .... Great view

Sorry for any Grammar or spelling error this is Sent from my iPad

after continuing to search all the hotel sites, I keep going back the North Sydney Harbourview hotel mainly due to cost, we will not get to sydney to 3- 4pm and I would like to see the sydney opera house but really can't afford to spend a lot of money on a hotel, there are so many booking sites now, you don't know who to trust, have only dealt with booking.com and wotif previously before and had no trouble. we are going on a new zealand cruise in march. thank you for all your comments.

after continuing to search all the hotel sites, I keep going back the North Sydney Harbourview hotel mainly due to cost, we will not get to sydney to 3- 4pm and I would like to see the sydney opera house but really can't afford to spend a lot of money on a hotel, there are so many booking sites now, you don't know who to trust, have only dealt with booking.com and wotif previously before and had no trouble. we are going on a new zealand cruise in march. thank you for all your comments.

The only warning I'd give about Harbourview is last time I stayed there [some years ago now] it was noisy and rattled as the trains passed right under it.

Again It's been a while but Rydges North Sydney used to have some good offers.

Edited by GUT2407

That hotel is across the Harbour from the terminal, as well as the other side from the airport. Travel at that time could be interesting.

I often use a lastminute site for hotels, plus some of the others. However, I always check the hotel site and have found better prices or deals going diect.