Help with getting from Civitecchia to Pantheon in rome

elapel01

Here are the steps:

1. Get off your ship and board one of the free port shuttles that will take you to the temporary drop off point (due to ongoing construction)

2. Either walk to the train station (20-30 minutes depending on your speed) or take the bus that makes a loop to the train station and back for 80 euro cents per person.

3. Purchase a BIRG pass (good on all regional trains; includes RT train to/from Rome and also use of buses and metro in Rome for the day.)

4. Board the next available regionale train to Rome. There are no assigned seats. They can be crowded.

From here you have a couple of options. You can get off the train at Termini station in Rome, then take a bus to get closer to the Pantheon (you could walk it, but takes a good 25-30 minutes.) Electric bus 116 has a stop at the Pantheon and would be my first choice. There is also the frequent-running bus 64 (also known as the "pickpocketer's delight") -- not sure if it stops at the Pantheon, but I know it stops a short distance away at Largo Argentina.

To find the bus pickup area at Termini, walk to the head of the station and then go out. You'll see all the buses parked.

You could also transfer to the metro at Termini (Line A) and take it as far as the Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna stop), then it is a very pleasant walk, past Trevi Fountain, to the Pantheon. Hopefully you have a good map of the central area.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I was hoping to get my dh and I on an inter city train so we can buy 1st class tickets which gets you reserved seats. I think that is only for 9:19 am. However I guess that won't allow us to transfer to the electric bus 116 to get us closer to Pantheon. We only want to see Pantheon and Piaaza Novana since we have been to Rome before and my husband's knee is in bad shape.

Thanks so much for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I was hoping to get my dh and I on an inter city train so we can buy 1st class tickets which gets you reserved seats. I think that is only for 9:19 am. However I guess that won't allow us to transfer to the electric bus 116 to get us closer to Pantheon. We only want to see Pantheon and Piaaza Novana since we have been to Rome before and my husband's knee is in bad shape.

Thanks so much for your help!

The regional train is easy - when we were there it turned up empty and was a pleasant ride into Rome -I can't remember how often it ran but it was something like every half hour. We could even see the excursion buses stuck on the motorway as we passed them zooming our way into town.

The all day ticket (in 2010) was 9 Euro for the entire day - included trains, metro and bus - it was simple to get the train into termini then the metro. The metro is two lines which kind of cross - the drawback is you don't see anything as you go because you are underground but it is quick and simple to use. The only thing is its down a lot of steps - there are some lifts for the disabled you might be able to use.

Alternatively, once you get to Rome, there is a Rome HOHO bus which does a circuit around all the major sites. It cost (in 2010) 25 Euro for the day.

Would you happen to know which bus to take from Piazza Navonna to Borghese Gallery ? We are staying post cruise and have a 9am reservation ( I know to get there 30 min early) and need to know where to get bus. Thanks
The closest stop is on Via del Teatro Valle. There's only one bus stop on this street, so if you make a google map of the street you can easily find it.

You can see the entire bus route here: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=116&percorso=116R