5 ships - 16000 in port - questions

jmoak

We will be docking in Routan next week and there will be 16k in port. A few questions:

1. We were thinking about going to bananarama but will it be a mad house?

2. Is there anything to do around the port?

3. Would like to snorkel from the shore. Any cost efficient options other than bananarama? We are on a tight budget.

Not opposed to walking around the port if there are some things to do there. Any advice on what to do with so many in port is appreciated.

What ship are you on?

Determines which pier you'll be at.

I would imagine that every beach club on West Bay and maybe even up at West End that welcomes cruise passengers will be crowded. Probably some of the other resorts around the island as well. For example, there'll be cruise ship excursions to Maya Key near Coxen Hole so that place could get crowded as it's not that big.

With 5 ships in there'll probably be 3 in Coxen Hole. If you dock or tender at Coxen Hole, you'll need a tour or taxi to a beach to snorkel. Mahogany Bay can take 2 ships. there's a beach facility within walking distance of the pier. Shopping area too. While there are plenty of free loungers, the clamshells and yellow loungers directly in front of the beach are only available for an extra charge. And they do fill up quickly. The beach is okay but not great for snorkeling as there's not a lot to see.

• 5 months later...
We will be docking in Routan next week and there will be 16k in port. A few questions:

1. We were thinking about going to bananarama but will it be a mad house?

2. Is there anything to do around the port?

3. Would like to snorkel from the shore. Any cost efficient options other than bananarama? We are on a tight budget.

Not opposed to walking around the port if there are some things to do there. Any advice on what to do with so many in port is appreciated.

The snorkeling from shore at Bananarama is not good, you would be dodging boats, there is no reef and very little of anything else to see. However, You could walk down the beach past Infinity's L Shaped pier to snorkle reef with no boats.

With so many ships it may be worth while to look in to Fantasy Island, if you are willing to swim across the channel to get to CocoView's Front yard, you may have the place to yourself. Mind you Fantasy Island is not known for it's amazing service or food...but the snorkeling is good trade off.

With so many ships it may be worth while to look in to Fantasy Island, if you are willing to swim across the channel to get to CocoView's Front yard, you may have the place to yourself. Mind you Fantasy Island is not known for it's amazing service or food...but the snorkeling is good trade off.

Does Fantasy Island offer a day pass? I checked their website and did not see anything. Do you just show up and rent equipment from the dive shop if you want to snorkel? How about transportation - just grab a cab or do they offer some type of transportation? I will email them as well, but it sounded like you have first hand experience with them.

Thanks.

Does Fantasy Island offer a day pass? I checked their website and did not see anything. Do you just show up and rent equipment from the dive shop if you want to snorkel? How about transportation - just grab a cab or do they offer some type of transportation? I will email them as well, but it sounded like you have first hand experience with them.

Thanks.

I was under the impression Fantasy Island offered day passes, perhaps things have changed, indeed direct contact with them is your best bet. Shezz, the web site is not so helpful.

Taxi on the island are not regulated, it is all about the haggle, I don't think grabbing a random one is a good idea. Let us hope FI will sort transport for you.

I would not use someone else's toothbrush you can bet the idea of using a public snorkle in a third world county would not be on my to do list. I pack my own snorkle gear. :0)

You also might want to click though a few reviews, it was one of the original dive AI's on the island, it has seen a few days. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1759941-d483524-Reviews-Fantasy_Island_Beach_Resort-French_Harbour_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

I was under the impression Fantasy Island offered day passes, perhaps things have changed, indeed direct contact with them is your best bet. Shezz, the web site is not so helpful.

Taxi on the island are not regulated, it is all about the haggle, I don't think grabbing a random one is a good idea. Let us hope FI will sort transport for you.

I would not use someone else's toothbrush you can bet the idea of using a public snorkle in a third world county would not be on my to do list. I pack my own snorkle gear. :0)

You also might want to click though a few reviews, it was one of the original dive AI's on the island, it has seen a few days. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1759941-d483524-Reviews-Fantasy_Island_Beach_Resort-French_Harbour_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

I have emailed them, but figure there is a 50 / 50 chance I will actually hear back after reading the reviews and looking at their website. We do have our own snorkel gear, although I have used the rental equipment in the past (I like to live dangerously, lol). I am not too worried about the resort itself since we will just be there for the day and will primarily be snorkeling and using the beach, and the reef and beach look great. The transportation is of some concern since I need to make sure it is reliable and we get back to he ship safely and on time.