Visitors

flemtagg

Hi we are on the QE in November, one of the ports is Lanzarote where my brother lives can anyone tell me if visitors are allowed on board when we are at port I know some cruse lines allow this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sadly this wonderful part of sailing on a Cunard liner went out with the first Irish terrorist bombing and now of course with so many different groups wishing to do harm to everyone else, it is hard enough to keep the passengers in sight let alone visitors. You will have to meet and greet on the dock.

Sadly this wonderful part of sailing on a Cunard liner went out with the first Irish terrorist bombing and now of course with so many different groups wishing to do harm to everyone else, it is hard enough to keep the passengers in sight let alone visitors. You will have to meet and greet on the dock.

It's likely that will not even be possible since many ports have a security zone that only card carrying passengers may enter.

It's interesting that Cunard doesn't allow visitors as I have been reading 3 blogs from Holland America's Amsterdam world cruise and a jillion family member's of the crew have been allowed on in both Semerang and Bali. They have lunch, ice cream and look around the ship. This is Indonesia where there have been major problems and yet so many people are allowed to board. This was quite a surprise to read!! It sure made the crew happy!

It's interesting that Cunard doesn't allow visitors as I have been reading 3 blogs from Holland America's Amsterdam world cruise and a jillion family member's of the crew have been allowed on in both Semerang and Bali....

The operative phrase here is "family members of the crew". This would be done by advance arrangement and the cruise line knows who is coming on board.

It also varies by port security. In Southampton for example, Cunard allows a limited number of people to apply - in advance - to visit one of their ships. This never happens in New York. It's true that travel agents are invited on board but Cunard is the one doing the inviting.

I've not read of any passenger successfully obtaining permission for a friend or family member to board for a visit. If they have it would be interesting to hear what it took to get permission.

Various cruise lines allow guests (that they have invited and then screened) on board for luncheons, etc. these groups are often travel agents and the like, sometimes past cruise guests as well.

Unfortunately, it is generally not available to anyone just wanting to visit the ship for the day, even if you have relatives on board cruising at the time.

Hi we are on the QE in November, one of the ports is Lanzarote where my brother lives can anyone tell me if visitors are allowed on board when we are at port I know some cruse lines allow this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Crew members can apply for family members to come on board when in most ports, but they have to apply for permission in advance.:)

Sadly this wonderful part of sailing on a Cunard liner went out with the first Irish terrorist bombing ...

Not quite that long ago.

We had guests on board in 1999 and (Aug)2001. I believe it all stopped one month later.

Regards, Colin.

Ship visitations generally ended in 1972 after the QE2 bomb threat. No bomb was found but it forced all line operators to tighten their security.

Until then, one could donate 50 cents US to a seamen's charity and walk about a ship until a half hour before sailing and the announcement, "All ashore who's going ashore" was made. Historian Bill Miller mentions these days fondly, having visited many ships on Luxury Liner Row. There was no shortage of family and friends at the Bon Voyage parties and it was common for complete strangers to be invited in.

Even the farewell viewing is now restricted if it's considered too close to the ship. If one observes the QE2 terminal in Southampton, there is a disused viewing gallery. It must have been quite a sight to have seen it full of envious well-wishers, until they faded in the distance and the last strand of streamers broke contact with the land.

Edited by BlueRiband

Ship visitations generally ended in 1972 after the QE2 bomb threat. No bomb was found but it forced all line operators to tighten their security.

Until then, one could donate 50 cents US to a seamen's charity and walk about a ship until a half hour before sailing and the announcement, "All ashore who's going ashore" was made. Historian Bill Miller mentions these days fondly, having visited many ships on Luxury Liner Row. There was no shortage of family and friends at the Bon Voyage parties and it was common for complete strangers to be invited in.

Even the farewell viewing is now restricted if it's considered too close to the ship. If one observes the QE2 terminal in Southampton, there is a disused viewing gallery. It must have been quite a sight to have seen it full of envious well-wishers, until they faded in the distance and the last strand of streamers broke contact with the land.

I remember farewelling many relatives on their cruises and checking out the ships when I was a lad.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Whilst it's certainly not the norm, I believe it's at the Captain's discretion.

We were on board Queen Elizabeth for our honeymoon in 2010, and were due to call into a port where we have family. We wrote to the captain explaining that our aunts were disappointed they had not been able to make it to the UK for our ceremony, and asked if it would be possible for them to visit us on the ship to make up for their disappointment.

We handed the letter in at the Purser’s desk, and were contacted by the Captain’s personal assistant a couple of days later, who informed us the Captain had granted permission for the visit. (Our letter was perhaps a little grovelling – but hey, it worked)

We had to provide visitor information including names and passport/ID details at least 48 hours before the visit.

Whilst it's certainly not the norm, I believe it's at the Captain's discretion.

We were on board Queen Elizabeth for our honeymoon in 2010, and were due to call into a port where we have family. We wrote to the captain explaining that our aunts were disappointed they had not been able to make it to the UK for our ceremony, and asked if it would be possible for them to visit us on the ship to make up for their disappointment.

We handed the letter in at the Purser’s desk, and were contacted by the Captain’s personal assistant a couple of days later, who informed us the Captain had granted permission for the visit. (Our letter was perhaps a little grovelling – but hey, it worked)

We had to provide visitor information including names and passport/ID details at least 48 hours before the visit.

That was very good of the captain and as it worked out well for all involved, is good PR.:D