Anybody scared of flying?

principessa1180

I have one word for you: XANAX

I second that reply. Just got a script for my upcoming vacations last week. Such a life saver but make sure you kno when to take it. Last flight it didnt kick in until 15 min after takeoff so not as good as a flight as the way home

Just do the math.

More people are killed in automobiles than in plane crashs each year.

Just ask yourself how are you going to the airport. Which is most dangerous ride. The ride from home to the airport or the flight to your port?

You just may be scared about the wrong ride.:D

DD & I had never flown when we went on our first crise last June either. We love it!:) We took some dramamine, and we were fine. Make sure you have some gum, and the views are awesome. Time seems to go by so fast when you are on the plane too. Just when you are getting use to it, it's time to land. We were both glued to the window, if you click on my Elation photos link in my signature, you'll see where DH took a pic of DD & me glued to the airplane window once we got up off the ground, looking at the amazing view we had. The bigger planes like the 757's are a piece of cake, they don't bother me at all compared to like a CRJ100 (smaller plane from smaller airports). Now that I've flown a few times, the smaller ones don't bother me much either. I actually went on our Feb. trip without having to take any dramamine. You'll be fine;)

I am! I am totally excited about the cruise, but I am so scared to fly.

I'm right there with you! Here are some things that help me:

1. Take Dramamine 45 minutes before your flight. It helps you to fall asleep.

2. Purchase a portable DVD player and watch a movie you have been waiting to see...this is the best for me, because it distracts me!

3. Take crosswords or other paper puzzles to do on the flight.

Basically, just have something to keep you busy so you don't think about the flight.

I truly hate to fly, but guess what? It sure is worth it when your destination is for a beautiful cruise!:)

I'm going to have to put a 3rd on the Xanax. I LOVED it!! Loved it so much took a leftover pill to calm my nerves before my wedding! My husband was AMAZED at my calmness! I didn't reveal the truth until getting on the plane for our honeymoon...but anyway..that is beside the point. I used to love flying but the older I get the scarier it is to me. I called for a script from my physician before leaving on our Girls' Cruise. I took a pill about 1 hour before take off for the first leg.... then another for the 2nd leg. It didn't make me sleepy as I thought it would but I was just calm. I really liked how it calmed my nerves and no ill side effects.

Good Luck and You'll be Just Fine!!! ;)

I have a stiff drink before I board (even if it's early:) ). It helps a little, but for the most part I just white knuckle my way through it.

It's an illogical fear (when compared to driving stats), but it's a hard one to lose.

I second that reply. Just got a script for my upcoming vacations last week. Such a life saver but make sure you kno when to take it. Last flight it didnt kick in until 15 min after takeoff so not as good as a flight as the way home

Try taking it right when you get to the airport. 45 min to hr before you fly. That way it won't kick in right about the time you need it to.

Yes but here is my thing on the whole cars safer thing

1) you usually dont know that you are about to get into a crash it happends so fast and the majority of the time everyone is "ok"

2) if A plane is going down I dont want to be able to think about it for the thousands of feet we fall.

Xanax makes you very mellow and you just dont get a rats butt that you are flying. I also 2nd the dvd player a godsend. A baileys and cream on therocks isnt to shabby either.

Just do the math.

More people are killed in automobiles than in plane crashs each year.

Just ask yourself how are you going to the airport. Which is most dangerous ride. The ride from home to the airport or the flight to your port?

You just may be scared about the wrong ride.:D

ABSOLUTELY 100% TRUE... you are literally thousands of times more likely to be injured or killed in a car crash than an air accident.

I totally sympathize with you. I know it's illogical, I know it's safer than driving, I know there's no reason to be scared, and I hate every minute of it while in the air. Sweaty palms, heart racing, shortness of breath - it sucks.

Up until about 2 years ago, I hadn't flown since I was a child. Not because of fear but just didn't have the opportunity. I've had to fly quite a few times since then for work, vacation, weddings, etc. and each flight got progressively worse. I finally had a full blown panic attack on one flight last fall. (No, I don't have panic attacks any other time.) I was completely in tears and hyperventilating by the time we landed. I am an otherwise calm, collected, in-charge kind of person which made it even scarier.

My Dr. gave me a prescription for a milder relative of Xanax and it worked wonders on my last flights. Take it about 30 minutes ahead of time and I was much calmer. It's still not thrilling for me, but at leat I wasn't completely miserable either. But having done 14 hours straight driving to Florida a few years ago, flying is still a better way to go.

Try taking it right when you get to the airport. 45 min to hr before you fly. That way it won't kick in right about the time you need it to.

I learned with my metabolism and all to take the whole pill ( my mom splits hers in twoand takes it 1 hr then 1./2 hr before) 1 hour before takeoff. that way I just mosey onto the plane. Of couse I almost need a pre xanax for my xanax. My stomach starts flip flopping as soon as we leave the house. By the time we can start seeing planes and such I am either grouchy or fell sick . Oh well a means to a cruise my friend, keep that in mind

I have a stiff drink before I board (even if it's early:) ). It helps a little, but for the most part I just white knuckle my way through it.

It's an illogical fear (when compared to driving stats), but it's a hard one to lose.

that's what I do..a couple of shots, and depending on how long the flight is, maybe a beeer or two on the plane.......it's five o'clock somewhere right?.I am very scared of flying too..we flew from CA-TX for our last cruise and i was a nervous wreck!! Alchohol helps, and bring a book, i pod or something to help distract you..

I am! I am totally excited about the cruise, but I am so scared to fly.

I've flown many, many times and I'm still scared!! :( I don't mind it once I'm up at cruising alttitude but take off and landing get me everytime!! :( My ears hurt so bad I feel like I want to pond my head into the seat in front of me. :( And I'm really afraid of being up so high and going so fast!! :eek: Oh, and I'm really claustrophobic as well. If I don't have a window seat, I absolutly freak out!! :eek:

That's why we drive as often as we can! (4 out of my 6 cruises)

I have been on 3 cruises, all out of Galveston, and even though I live 8 hours away, I have driven all 3 times! Although, I am going to Paris this summer, and that would be Paris FRANCE, not Paris, TEXAS, so I guess I'll have to fly, lol!:eek: :D

I'm going to join in on the Xanax bandwagon....love it! It really does calm you. I take 1 about an hour before take off and then I take another one just as I get on the plane. I'm not sleepy/tired but I am just completely calm. I do also bring a puzzle book with logic puzzles in them to also help----those really force you to think, so it occupies the mind for a bit. I'm with you...love cruising, hate flying. However, I'll be getting on a plane in 79 days to head to Florida for my cruise!! Happy Cruising to you!

If you get the patch for sea sickness/motion sickness it will take care of that aspect. (I would recommend you get the patch anyway, it made my cruises much more enjoyable.) As far as flying, remember it is not nearly as dangerous as driving these days. My husband HATES flying, but is willing to so we can get there in a couple of hours instead of 12 to 17 hours. Have a great cruise!!

Archived