Avalon Rhine Cruise from Amsterdam

Mydogabby

Hello,

We will be taking the Romantic Rhine cruise from Amsterdam in July 2017 and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer...

We get into Amsterdam at 7am the day we board the ship and I was wondering if we would be able to drop off our luggage at the ship while we explore Amsterdam during that day?

I was also wondering if we would be able to go out that night after the welcome reception to see Amsterdam at night? Are there any other nights/cities we can go off the ship at night after dinner and explore?

How long will we be in Cologne? The itinerary makes it seem like only a few hours in the afternoon?

We also plan to spend an extra day in Switzerland at the end of the trip and have booked a hotel in Lucerne for one night. We plan on doing the golden round trip, do we need to purchase these tickets in advance or can we buy them the day of and where do you recommend we purchase them?

Thank you!!

Hi Mydogabby,

We haven't been on our cruise yet, but if you contact Avalon (or if you used a TA, have them contact them), they can probably let you know where or when you can drop your bags off. I would think 7am is a bit early, but they may have some solution for you. I know Amsterdam Centraal has locker facilities, not sure how that would work, but better than carting around your bags.

You will be in port for the first night, so can probably go into town with no problems. The only thing you may have a problem with is if they use the dock that is a bit further out of town, but that will be in your papers you receive to let you know about where to get the ship. Most of the sailing is done at night, in order to give you good day time in the various places you go to. Sailing times are very dependant on water levels, lock priorities, and other matters, but the cruise director can let you know when the sailing time is if you are in a town towards night.

If you haven't already, I suggest you look at the stickies at the top of the section that the monitor has put together, they have lots of helpful information.

Have a great trip, looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed it....and if you can, sneak in some menu pics when you write a review...they are scarce on these boards.

If I remember correctly, someone said that Avalon made you gather at a hotel and moved everyone from there. I'm sure that by the time you get through immigration, collect your luggage, and get into town you will find that you are able to leave your luggage and come back.

On my last Uniworld cruise, I arrived in Vienna about 6 AM, went straight to the ship, and they had no problem with me dropping off my luggage. I spent some time relaxing on the sundeck (I got a bit of a burn because I didn't have access to my luggage), and later, I borrowed a bike to get a bit of fresh air to wake myself up.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip as we are doing the Rhine Moselle in October. Will you arrive at airport at 7am? If so maybe by the time you travel into Amsterdam you will be able to drop your bags at the boat. Otherwise head to the meeting hotel and leave your bags there while you look around. Either return to the hotel later in the afternoon for transfer to the boat by bus or head straight to the boat. For the round trip to Mt Pilatus just buy your tickets on the day. We bought ours at the tourist office at the train station then walked the short distance to the waterfront to catch the boat. Went there the day before to check on the times the boat left the next morning so we knew what time to head off the next morning. The tourist office also checked the webcam for Mt Pilatus to see what the weather was like. Enjoy your travels!

Hello,

We will be taking the Romantic Rhine cruise from Amsterdam in July 2017 and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer...

We get into Amsterdam at 7am the day we board the ship and I was wondering if we would be able to drop off our luggage at the ship while we explore Amsterdam during that day?

I was also wondering if we would be able to go out that night after the welcome reception to see Amsterdam at night? Are there any other nights/cities we can go off the ship at night after dinner and explore?

How long will we be in Cologne? The itinerary makes it seem like only a few hours in the afternoon?

We also plan to spend an extra day in Switzerland at the end of the trip and have booked a hotel in Lucerne for one night. We plan on doing the golden round trip, do we need to purchase these tickets in advance or can we buy them the day of and where do you recommend we purchase them?

Thank you!!

I know this does not answer your question, but I have a request. You don't mention what ship you will be on, but I'm guessing it is the Imagery II. There is a Roll Call for that ship in 2017 on the Roll Calls page. It's kind of far down on the first page right now. If you could post your details to "All Avalon Imagery II in 2017" you might eventually meet others on your cruise, and in any case your post would help keep the thread alive. Thanks. :)