is this a bad cabin room?

DrCindy

We are going on a 12 day cruise in November on the Jade, from Istanbul to Barcelona. I got a price drop by doing the guaranteed cabin thing, and just found out our assignment is category J, room 8505 (inside), which is at the very bow of the ship. My husband doesn't seem too thrilled :rolleyes:. Does anyone know how rocky it will feel that far up front? I figured it shouldn't be too huge of an issue because 1) we usually are only in the room at night to sleep, plus this itinerary only has 3 sea days, and 2) we're not sailing through any oceans, just through various seas. Thoughts? Thanks!

The forward cabins are usually rockier, for sure. Don't know about the seas you will be travellng through, and it wouldn't really matter. If the weather is bad, the seas will be rocky. If not, they'll more likely be calm. We personally like the rocking - we find it relaxing while going to sleep and fun while traveling down corridors and on dance floors. Part of the joys of cruising. If seasickness is a problem for you, I would suggest paying a little extra and getting a category where you can choose your cabin. Guarantees are a crapshoot.

The most stable cabins are inside cabins midships, or toward the aft. The lower the deck, the less you feel it also.

If you think it might be a problem and you don't want to or can't change, the transderm scop patch works well (altho we didn't like the dry mouth that we got from it), and there's always the steady standby - dramamine.

The ship may move more by being near the bow of the ship. We have always been near the bow of the ship. I have actually felt worse midships on deck 7 shen there is a lot of motion. Don't know why though. We were on the Jade in Feb and had only one night of bad weather, anad hardly felt it. I really enjoy the rough seas.:)

If the ship goes through a storm, and you are prone to sea sickness, it really doesn't matter where your cabin is located on the ship, you will be dizzy.... While I prefer midships, others prefer forward and/or aft. Someone has to fill the cabins on the ship. I had a cabin just about everywhere, forward to aft, and frankly I haven't noticed much of a difference....

We are going on a 12 day cruise in November on the Jade, from Istanbul to Barcelona. I got a price drop by doing the guaranteed cabin thing, and just found out our assignment is category J, room 8505 (inside), which is at the very bow of the ship. My husband doesn't seem too thrilled :rolleyes:. Does anyone know how rocky it will feel that far up front? I figured it shouldn't be too huge of an issue because 1) we usually are only in the room at night to sleep, plus this itinerary only has 3 sea days, and 2) we're not sailing through any oceans, just through various seas. Thoughts? Thanks!

We were in 8501 on the Dawn (right next to 8505). While the location was fine, the noise and vibration in this cabin were out of control. I've been told that the BOW THRUSTERS were the culprit; the vibration was so strong that things were falling off the shelves. The noise (a high pitched screeching sound) could have woken the dead. It only happened during the time that the ship would dock and leave the pier. Thank goodness it was a cruise to Bermuda and we did not do any island hopping. I could not imagine experiencing this at 7am every time we docked.:eek:

You do feel motion in the cabin but nothing that a little ginger gum can't take care of. The real big issue for us was the vibration and noise. Bring your ear plugs!

• 6 years later...

Very, very small room. We were 3. (bunk bed) Should have seen our face when we walk in with all of our suitcases!!! Priceless! One of us had to go into the bathroom and the other at the other end so we could undo our suitcases (one at a time). One leaved out of hers because there was not enough drawers and shelfs for ther clothes. Since it's at the front of the ship, the motion of the waves hiting the ship were intense. The sound of them hitting the boat at night (big bangs) would wake you up sometimes. Luckily, when docking, we were already up when all the noise would come from lowering the anchor, etc. At least, it has a decent size bathroom.

First of all, there are no bad cabins, just bad (oh, forget that).

I was on the Jade back in February 2008. I had a forward facing balcony cabin on deck 9 (those cabins are suites - but that is not important to this issue). I was on a thirteen night cruise from San Diego to Miami.

I have had cabins all the way up front (on Carnival, not on NCL) I have had rear facing balcony cabins and I have had mid ship cabins. So I have been all over the ship. I have been in inside cabins, ocean view cabins, balcony cabins and suites. I have been 28 cruises. My favorite cabins are up front (because of the view).

It is true that in rough seas, the bow and stern will pitch (move up and down) more than the mid ship cabins. However, it has been my experience that if the ship is rocking, the entire ship is rocking (be it a high level far forward or far aft on the side or dead center and on the water line).

Very, very small room. We were 3. (bunk bed) Should have seen our face when we walk in with all of our suitcases!!! Priceless! One of us had to go into the bathroom and the other at the other end so we could undo our suitcases (one at a time). One leaved out of hers because there was not enough drawers and shelfs for ther clothes. Since it's at the front of the ship, the motion of the waves hiting the ship were intense. The sound of them hitting the boat at night (big bangs) would wake you up sometimes. Luckily, when docking, we were already up when all the noise would come from lowering the anchor, etc. At least, it has a decent size bathroom.

If the ship is docking they do not lower the anchor.

We had tenders in two of our ports.

If the ship is tendering it does not dock. Also, ships that are tendering do not always drop their anchor. The ships have a dynamic positioning system that will keep it in the same place without the use of an anchor.