Carnival Excursion in Jamaica

shawne71

Both of you have valid points. I agree that many people in Jamaica are just fine and will not give you any hassles [other than trying to get your money!] but it is also true that the govt has close to zero respect for GLBT people. That said, one day in a port will not likely pose any threats. My husband and I were just there a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful time at Bamboo Beach Club. We booked through the ship to be safe and everything turned out wonderfully; it was much better than either of us had anticipated. We don't do PDAs in general but the fact hat he is Chinese [and I am not] does make it quite obvious that we are not just brothers LOL. Not so much as a weird glance was thrown our way.

It is a shame that the citizenry of Jamaica have created such a bad name for themselves as it is truly a stunning island; in fact it is one of the most beautiful in the region IMO as far as natural beauty. Just go, keep to yourselves, and enjoy your day.

My partner is Chinese as well. The only thing that annoyed me was being asked by vendors if he was my adopted son. Really sucks, considering he's only 8 years younger than me!

My partner is Chinese as well. The only thing that annoyed me was being asked by vendors if he was my adopted son. Really sucks, considering he's only 8 years younger than me!

HAHA :D

My hubby is 15 years older than me but looks about my age so I understand :p

We ported in Jamaica (Falmouth) for the first time last year and had no problem. I did extensive research and booked a private excursion with Courtney Taylor. He is wonderful and could not have been more welcoming or accommodating. To lump all Jamaicans together as "anti-gay" is stereotyping at its worst. Yes, the country as a whole has a terrible human rights record but lets not say everyone on that island feels the same way.

Well said. The island administration is anti-gay and will not protect you from its citizenry or gestapo. Making excuses and saying that some of the citizens are not anti-gay is like making excuses back 100 years ago in the south saying not everyone is racist but the administration of those states and most of the whites were racist. My only two visits to jamaica, I along with a lot of my fellow pax stayed on the ship and had a great safe time. Jamaica may be really pretty but so isn't a lot of other Caribbean islands with a lot less risk.