Carnival Excursion in Jamaica

shawne71

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I'm well aware that Jamaica is anti-gay and Gays are anti-Jamaica.

My partner and I recently booked a Carnival cruise that stops in Montego Bay. My 63 year old mother will be joining us as our birthday gift to her. We had considered staying on the ship at this port, but I really don't want to miss the chance of seeing the island. We are now considering booking an excursion through Carnival that goes to Negril (Margaritaville, and Rick's Café to watch the cliff divers). We don't show PDA and tend to be pretty masculine when in public. Plus, we'll have my mother with us. If anyone ask, we can just say we are brothers. I'm sure we'll be fine, but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. It's a 6 hour excursion booked through Carnival. We'll be fine, right? :confused:

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I'm well aware that Jamaica is anti-gay and Gays are anti-Jamaica.

My partner and I recently booked a Carnival cruise that stops in Montego Bay. My 63 year old mother will be joining us as our birthday gift to her. We had considered staying on the ship at this port, but I really don't want to miss the chance of seeing the island. We are now considering booking an excursion through Carnival that goes to Negril (Margaritaville, and Rick's Café to watch the cliff divers). We don't show PDA and tend to be pretty masculine when in public. Plus, we'll have my mother with us. If anyone ask, we can just say we are brothers. I'm sure we'll be fine, but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. It's a 6 hour excursion booked through Carnival. We'll be fine, right? :confused:

You will be fine! Go and have fun making memories with your mom! :D

My husband and I are also going with my mom and her friend on a Carnival cruise, in March, that stops in Ocho Rios. I have been to Jamaica before and whilst it was not my first choice of places to return to, mom really wanted to go so I will suck it up. If you are with an organized tour through the ship I am confident you will not have any issues. When I went in 2004 it was a land-based trip [when I was still single] with a female friend and we had fun without feeling in danger; the same should be true for two guys as long as there are no PDAs. The biggest issue will be the hawkers trying desperately to sell their wares to you at every moment.

Would I chose Jamaica as a gay honeymoon destination? Absolutely NOT. But being there for a day with a cruise ship should not present any issues.

You will be fine! Go and have fun making memories with your mom! :D

My husband and I are also going with my mom and her friend on a Carnival cruise, in March, that stops in Ocho Rios. I have been to Jamaica before and whilst it was not my first choice of places to return to, mom really wanted to go so I will suck it up. If you are with an organized tour through the ship I am confident you will not have any issues. When I went in 2004 it was a land-based trip [when I was still single] with a female friend and we had fun without feeling in danger; the same should be true for two guys as long as there are no PDAs. The biggest issue will be the hawkers trying desperately to sell their wares to you at every moment.

Would I chose Jamaica as a gay honeymoon destination? Absolutely NOT. But being there for a day with a cruise ship should not present any issues.

Thanks for the feedback! That makes me feel better. I will not worry too much about it then. I've just read so much negative stuff on here about Jamaica. I had read some of the same stuff about Barbados and we had the time of our lives there! This will probably be our one and only visit to Jamaica so we'd really like to see the island. We chose this itinerary because we wanted to sail out of New Orleans and the dates worked out perfect. Mom and I will both celebrate our birthdays while on this cruise. :)

Make sure to go to Dunn's River Falls. That was probably the highlight of my land-based trip to Jamaica [The bio-luminescent bay was great too but you can only do it at night so it isn't an option for cruise trips] and most ships offer excursions to the falls. :D

Make sure to go to Dunn's River Falls. That was probably the highlight of my land-based trip to Jamaica [The bio-luminescent bay was great too but you can only do it at night so it isn't an option for cruise trips] and most ships offer excursions to the falls. :D

OP will be in Mo'bay and quite a long road trip from Dunn's Falls. You need to be at Ocho Rios to do that excursion.

As long as you stay with the tour group and do not wander off if for even a few minutes you will be fine. Most tour leaders will make the hawkers stay away but they can be extremely persistent. Best advice is to totally ignore them if they come up as if they don't exist. Even a polite no thankyou will encourage them so don't do it.

They are susicious if they see two men together from a US ship so definitely do not do any PDA or even remotely a PDA else they will pick you out as gay. Having your mother along is a good deterent.

Have fun in Jamaica but be on your guard 100% of the time you are ashore.

OP will be in Mo'bay and quite a long road trip from Dunn's Falls. You need to be at Ocho Rios to do that excursion.

As long as you stay with the tour group and do not wander off if for even a few minutes you will be fine. Most tour leaders will make the hawkers stay away but they can be extremely persistent. Best advice is to totally ignore them if they come up as if they don't exist. Even a polite no thankyou will encourage them so don't do it.

They are susicious if they see two men together from a US ship so definitely do not do any PDA or even remotely a PDA else they will pick you out as gay. Having your mother along is a good deterent.

Have fun in Jamaica but be on your guard 100% of the time you are ashore.

Totally agree about the vendors...they can be relentless! :mad:

I checked the Carnival website for the OP though and they do offer excursions to Dunns River Falls from Mo'bay for $80.99pp. It is a 6.5 hour excursion so unless you are only in Jamaica for 1/2 a day it should be available.

Since I was there for a land trip I had more time to explore the island and it is indeed quite beautiful...the beaches are amazing. It is too bad that it is among one of the worst countries in the western hemisphere for gay travelers as it spoils what is otherwise a beautiful island. That said, I am 100% confident that the OP will be just fine if he stays with the tour group...the chances of anyone "picking him out as gay" amongst a large tour are quite slim...they will definitely be more concerned with his money and how he can spend it on their junk. He will have a great time as long as he remains aware of his surroundings.

Thanks guys. I will definitely be on alert while we are there. Unfortunately, we won't be doing the Dunn's River Falls excursion. We picked an excursion in Negril that buses (I'll sit with mom on the bus) us to Margaritaville and Rick's Café to watch the cliff divers. Mom is unable to walk long distances, so we chose an excursion with little walking. I figure we'll have lunch at Margaritaville, relax on the beach, watch the cliff divers, and try to keep it low key. I won't be drinking at this port so that won't be a problem. We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise. St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. We know all about vendors... they can be pretty persistent! I found that if you bought something small from one and then tell the others that you already bought from someone else, they seemed to leave us alone. ;)

Edited by shawne71

Thanks guys. I will definitely be on alert while we are there. Unfortunately, we won't be doing the Dunn's River Falls excursion. We picked an excursion in Negril that buses (I'll sit with mom on the bus) us to Margaritaville and Rick's Café to watch the cliff divers. Mom is unable to walk long distances, so we chose an excursion with little walking. I figure we'll have lunch at Margaritaville, relax on the beach, watch the cliff divers, and try to keep it low key. I won't be drinking at this port so that won't be a problem. We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise. St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. We know all about vendors... they can be pretty persistent! I found that if you bought something small from one and then tell the others that you already bought from someone else, they seemed to leave us alone. ;)

Don't do that on Jamaica as it will just encourage them. Don't speak to them, make eye contact or even act like you are interested in anything they are selling. I have seen persistent vendors but Jamaica notches it way up. They are desperate to sell their wares.

when I was a kid(15 yo) we were in Jamaica and were harassed & treated very badly(I was travelling w/ my Aunt) by the locals.

I vowed never to return...well several years later I did go back as an adult(33yo)...after that trip I certainly will never go back. The Jamaicans are terrible to say the least & if I or you treated people as we were treated we would of been thrown in jail.

The only reason Jamaica is still a cruise port because of economics...the gov't makes it worth while for the cruise lines to stop there....its a disgrace on a human scale.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Jamaica but it was in Ochos Rios. My partner an I have matching tattoos on our legs and you could tell a couple of people noticed, and one person even inquired about it, but we just strayed away from saying anything that would identify us as a couple. It stuck in my craw a bit, but for seeing the country there I was willing to make the sacrifice that time. It was beautiful! We won't go back again (more than likely) but I'm glad we did when the opportunity presented itself.

Personally, we did a similar excursion a few years back on Cunard line. For myself I'd stay on the ship & do a spa day. Even with the tour guide we were set upon by hawkers(and drug dealers!!)My partner & I are Caucasian & Chinese. We still really got "looked" at & we DON'T do PDA's on excursions! There's enough about Jamaica on this site to hopefully dissuade you from leaving the ship.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'm taking your advice. Just booked the Bobsleds & Dunn's River Falls through Carnival. Looks like a lot of fun! It will just be my partner and I on this excursion. My "stepbrother" and I will go and have fun. ;)

My mom has decided to stay on the ship at this port.

Edited by shawne71

We went to Ocho Rios in 2012 and explored the area by ourselves...most specifically in search of the local craft market. We do not show any PDA, and we always walk with a mission, so we were never bothered beyond the typical Caribbean offers of tours, drugs and sex...Lol:)

We went to Ocho Rios in 2012 and explored the area by ourselves...most specifically in search of the local craft market. We do not show any PDA, and we always walk with a mission, so we were never bothered beyond the typical Caribbean offers of tours, drugs and sex...Lol:)

LOL Good to know! :p

Well, I'm taking your advice. Just booked the Bobsleds & Dunn's River Falls through Carnival. Looks like a lot of fun! It will just be my partner and I on this excursion. My "stepbrother" and I will go and have fun. ;)

You will have a good time, sometimes just saying no thank you when they come up to you works on most of them. I been there multiple times to the Island including 2 land vacation in my early 20's before coming out. We found a great private beach in Mobay where they didn't allow these vendors. Negril is beautiful. PDA is not needed 24 hrs a day, i just sneak in a light touch or wisper when out and about.

Great! You will have a good time I'm sure. :D

There are a lot of Jamaicans working on ships everywhere. Many work in the bars. I go to the other bars. Enough said about what I think of Jamaica and Jamaicans.

And that's the wrong way of thinking. Your stereotyping them all as homophobes. That's just as prejudice

We ported in Jamaica (Falmouth) for the first time last year and had no problem. I did extensive research and booked a private excursion with Courtney Taylor. He is wonderful and could not have been more welcoming or accommodating. To lump all Jamaicans together as "anti-gay" is stereotyping at its worst. Yes, the country as a whole has a terrible human rights record but lets not say everyone on that island feels the same way.

We ported in Jamaica (Falmouth) for the first time last year and had no problem. I did extensive research and booked a private excursion with Courtney Taylor. He is wonderful and could not have been more welcoming or accommodating. To lump all Jamaicans together as "anti-gay" is stereotyping at its worst. Yes, the country as a whole has a terrible human rights record but lets not say everyone on that island feels the same way.

Of course there are nice Jamaicans who are not anti-gay. That is not the point. There have been gays who have been murdered, cut up by machete and the perpetrators walk free for the government find nothing unlawful in this. When I stay my distance from Jamaica it is because of who runs and administers the country, not who lives there.

Edited by ONT-CA

of course there are nice jamaicans who are not anti-gay. That is not the point. There have been gays who have been murdered, cut up by machete and the perpetrators walk free for the government find nothing unlawful in this. When i stay my distance from jamaica it is because of who runs and administers the country, not who lives there.

like!!!

Of course there are nice Jamaicans who are not anti-gay. That is not the point. There have been gays who have been murdered, cut up by machete and the perpetrators walk free for the government find nothing unlawful in this. When I stay my distance from Jamaica it is because of who runs and administers the country, not who lives there.

Both of you have valid points. I agree that many people in Jamaica are just fine and will not give you any hassles [other than trying to get your money!] but it is also true that the govt has close to zero respect for GLBT people. That said, one day in a port will not likely pose any threats. My husband and I were just there a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful time at Bamboo Beach Club. We booked through the ship to be safe and everything turned out wonderfully; it was much better than either of us had anticipated. We don't do PDAs in general but the fact hat he is Chinese [and I am not] does make it quite obvious that we are not just brothers LOL. Not so much as a weird glance was thrown our way.

It is a shame that the citizenry of Jamaica have created such a bad name for themselves as it is truly a stunning island; in fact it is one of the most beautiful in the region IMO as far as natural beauty. Just go, keep to yourselves, and enjoy your day.