Better be quiet in the Library

Andiamo

On the recent QM2 Christmas voyage Bill Miller was holding a book signing in the Library. He had just gotten underway and I was next after two gentlemen who were very excited, having just purchased the last book in stock, title of which I have forgotten.

As soon as the chatting commenced a woman popped out from around the bend and made it quite clear we were all rude and that there should be no talking in the Library. Not only was this event publicized, but the location is exactly where Commodore Bernard Warner has held his book signings. Do you suppose she would have shooshed (sp?) the Commodore?

I'm still scratching my head.

Jeanne

On the recent QM2 Christmas voyage Bill Miller was holding a book signing in the Library. He had just gotten underway and I was next after two gentlemen who were very excited, having just purchased the last book in stock, title of which I have forgotten.

As soon as the chatting commenced a woman popped out from around the bend and made it quite clear we were all rude and that there should be no talking in the Library. Not only was this event publicized, but the location is exactly where Commodore Bernard Warner has held his book signings. Do you suppose she would have shooshed (sp?) the Commodore?

Jeanne

Was she the librarian or a passenger?

J

Jeanne

Hard to believe, but a hypothetical question. Why do you ask?

Is one rude person worth bothering about? To be honest I am sick to death of people complaining about stupid and insignificant issues to do with their voyages. My wife and I spend all our time looking after my wifes eldery mother who has dementia, and life can be tough. We look forward to our time on the QM2 and we make the best of everything we can. I feel privileged to be able to travel on the ship and I'm very aware that 99% of the population are not in the position to indulge themselves in the way we do. I think that people need to have a serious look at themselves before whinging about things that are relatively unimportant in the scheeme of things.

On that note, I shall be leaving this forum and good luck to all those who need to get a life!

Is one rude person worth bothering about? To be honest I am sick to death of people complaining about stupid and insignificant issues to do with their voyages. My wife and I spend all our time looking after my wifes eldery mother who has dementia, and life can be tough. We look forward to our time on the QM2 and we make the best of everything we can. I feel privileged to be able to travel on the ship and I'm very aware that 99% of the population are not in the position to indulge themselves in the way we do. I think that people need to have a serious look at themselves before whinging about things that are relatively unimportant in the scheeme of things.

On that note, I shall be leaving this forum and good luck to all those who need to get a life!

You are so right! Sorry that you leave - I liked your comments and I think they have been helpful to many.

Best wishes to you and your family! :)

Sorry you feel that way. Even more sorry that you have not been able to differentiate an observation from a complaint. I do think your remarks are a little cruel. Perhaps you have just seen our beloved ship get beaten up a little too often and passengers expecting the world. Please reconsider abandoning.

Jeanne

There is indeed some unnecessary carping on this forum, as it seems there is on most online fora, and I couldn't agree with you more that those of us who travel on QM2 should count ourselves fortunate indeed. But the majority people who post here mean well. Some are exceptionally helpful and kind. I, for one, have always enjoyed your contributions and would miss reading them in the future.

May have been that same woman I watched on a QM2 cruise last

year , in the Library , tweezing her eyebrows for an hour .

OMG! Plucking in the Library! That's one for the books!:D

But I guess if it took her an hour to pluck away all those unwanted hairs, it must have been a really desperate situation.:eek:

Sorry you feel that way. Even more sorry that you have not been able to differentiate an observation from a complaint. I do think your remarks are a little cruel. Perhaps you have just seen our beloved ship get beaten up a little too often and passengers expecting the world. Please reconsider abandoning.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

You should not have to defend your observations on this or any forum. You are also not deserving of such an attack. I really appreciate your contributions. I also appreciated your friendship while on board, you were most welcoming to me and my partner.

This is a forum where we can share our experiences both positive and negative with fellow cruise enthusiasts.

Bruce

Hi Jeanne,

You should not have to defend your observations on this or any forum. You are also not deserving of such an attack. I really appreciate your contributions. I also appreciated your friendship while on board, you were most welcoming to me and my partner.

This is a forum where we can share our experiences both positive and negative with fellow cruise enthusiasts.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I did feel bad that my post was misinterpreted as a complaint. It really was amusing that the passenger behaved the way she did. I guess you had to be there. I believe she and her husband were in your section of the dining room.

I will not give up the belief that this forum was meant to be a community of sorts. It is unfortunate when things go astray in the community. It is not always a beautiful day in the neighborhood. My participation is limited for a good reason, but I remain grateful for this site. For the most part, people do mean well.

Jeanne

Partial quote

... I did feel bad that my post was misinterpreted as a complaint....

Jeanne

Andiamo, I'm sorry you felt bad. I thought your post was an interesting vignette from your voyage, and I didn't see it as a complaint for a couple of reasons:

1). You have a long history of pleasant, polite and helpful posts on this forum.

2). God knows, there was plenty of things on your voyage that might have been chosen as a topic if one wanted to voice a complaint, but you chose to share an interesting anecdote regarding the library. Nothing wrong with relating negative experiences, of course, but it is the varitey of experiences related from passengers on a particular cruise that gives dimension to this forum.

Reminded me of a funny experience I had in the Library on a past QM2 cruise...so, thanks for the memories :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Passenger.

I think I would have been extremely annoyed had she pulled that stunt with me. I can't stand bossy people at any time. Had some useless parent been allowing their children to run riot round the library then she would have had valid and justifiable cause for complaint. But given that the library was being used, officially, as the venue for a public event, she had no justification whatsoever and would have been well advised to keep her trap shut.

J

An interesting point but the library is a place where we should respect a certain type of behaviour and whilst a book signing is all about books, it is really a 'meet and greet' where the author is making money out of these signings.

I guess the womaqn was right to complain as she went to the library for what most folks go there for and would the Commodore go to this location and start shooting the breeze?? I guess we could say, 'his ship, his right to do mwhat he wants' :)

A one off signing and how long did it last? In other words if it was just for an hour, then is that the end of the World where we need to protest? If it were longer or more than a one off then perhaps a more suitable location could be found.

How VERY very sad that we are loosing one of the most respected members of this forum but I guess life goes on and we all have things to do, places to go and people to meet and greet.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, or forum you join.

Best wishes

John

I think I would have been extremely annoyed had she pulled that stunt with me. I can't stand bossy people at any time. Had some useless parent been allowing their children to run riot round the library then she would have had valid and justifiable cause for complaint. But given that the library was being used, officially, as the venue for a public event, she had no justification whatsoever and would have been well advised to keep her trap shut.

J

I'd say that is a valid point. Why use the library for the event in the first place? Peope using a library have a reasonable expectation that it will be quiet!

There is likely to be some "disturbance" at a book signing, a lot more folks about etc - seems daft holding it there if itis open to those wishing to have a quiet read tbh. There are other suitable venues available.

I have some sympathy for the passenger requesting some peace & quiet, they would be out of order if it were in one of the lounges but not in the library for Gawd's sake! That's the whole point, surely?

Rather than slag off a passenger making a reasonable request, I would have thought some folks ought to be questioning the logic of organising a public event in an open library.

I'd say that is a valid point. Why use the library for the event in the first place? Peope using a library have a reasonable expectation that it will be quiet!

There is likely to be some "disturbance" at a book signing, a lot more folks about etc - seems daft holding it there if itis open to those wishing to have a quiet read tbh. There are other suitable venues available.

I have some sympathy for the passenger requesting some peace & quiet, they would be out of order if it were in one of the lounges but not in the library for Gawd's sake! That's the whole point, surely?

Rather than slag off a passenger making a reasonable request, I would have thought some folks ought to be questioning the logic of organising a public event in an open library.

From the description we have, it seems that the issue at hand is the way the request to be quiet was made - not the actual request itself. It appears that the request wasn't put as politely as it could have been and the 'noisemakers' were made to feel like little naughty children.

The interaction must have been out of the ordinary, otherwise it wouldn't have made an impression on the OP, and they wouldn't have posted about it.

Book signings on the QM2 don't strike me as being as loud and rambunctious as a Justin Bieber appearance, I can't imagine the noise was so loud that complaints were necessary.

Either way, I'm sure everyone at the book signing made an effort to reduce the noise, and I'm sure the lady went back to her book. No harm done, and for the record I like hearing little titbits of gossip from on board, it's interesting.

Hopefully somebody told the old witch that her loud and rude complaining was making more noise in the library (with the lead pipe) than the frigging book signing.

And then just proceeded to ignore her and resume enjoying their voyage on the greatest ocean liner afloat

Talk abouta grinch

Archived