Peanut Allergy Toddler

No Nap Nattie

Anyone have any experience cruising with a child with a severe food allergy? We recently found out my DS (2 years old) has a severe peanut allergy after we had already booked on Carnival Pride. We have informed Carnival, we know we have to talk to the dinning room staff when we board and we know about the food allergy form for the kids club. He has an Epi Pen, so we will obiviously have that with us. Carnival states that they can only accommodate food allergies in the dinning rooms, which is no big deal for us. However, I read a review for the Pride that said the dinning room is not open for lunch, is this correct? This is a first time dealing with a food allergy for us (other than a lactose intolerant issue with my DD) let alone on vacation, a cruise wouldn't have been my first choice had we known. Anyway, working from zero here, so any advice is appreciated. thanks!

I have a peanut/tree nut allergy.

Of all the cruises I have been on the only one I got "nutted" on was Carnival.

Despite emailing special needs before my trip, meeting with the maitre d' and ordering thru the special dietary hostess they still managed to serve me a dish w/ nuts.

Thankfully I saw them before I took a bite. They offered a lame half apology and seemed totally unconcerned that this could have ended very poorly for me.

As a nurse I carry 2 epi-pens, Benadryl and Prednisone with me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I truly appreciate it. We have only been dealing with my DS's peanut allergy for about two months. I have noticed that we get the "yeah, yeah, yeah" a lot from restaurants. We have been sticking to Mac n cheese on the kids menu, but for a whole 7 days I was hoping to be able give some other foods. I'm bringing him to the pediatrician before we go, not sure if she'll give me a prescription for the Prednisone, but I'll ask. And thank you again!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I truly appreciate it. We have only been dealing with my DS's peanut allergy for about two months. I have noticed that we get the "yeah, yeah, yeah" a lot from restaurants. We have been sticking to Mac n cheese on the kids menu, but for a whole 7 days I was hoping to be able give some other foods. I'm bringing him to the pediatrician before we go, not sure if she'll give me a prescription for the Prednisone, but I'll ask. And thank you again!

Don't worry about the Prednisone. Take some children's Benadryl along. If the reaction is so severe that you need more than that, it's time to see the doctor, not try to treat it yourself. (I've been allergic to a number of foods since childhood, and this is and has always been standing doctors orders.)

With regard to the response I got from the Special Needs department at Carnival. It was essentially a form letter repeating what is listed on their web site, with one line stating that I can bring my own baby food for "the child". And basically telling me I have to speak to he dinning staff once I board the boat. Not very helpful or reassuring.

With regard to the response I got from the Special Needs department at Carnival. It was essentially a form letter repeating what is listed on their web site, with one line stating that I can bring my own baby food for "the child". And basically telling me I have to speak to he dinning staff once I board the boat. Not very helpful or reassuring.

With every ship I've ever been on, there's a pretty decent disconnect between ship and shore. The executive chef on the ship is pretty much the guy who is responsible, so he's the one you need to speak with on the ship.

One thing I would caution--do not--and I mean it--take the word of a person refilling the buffet--even if they are wearing kitchen whites. Half of them speak almost no English and will yes you to death. Additionally buffets are cross contamination nightmares. Choose the dining rooms instead.

Thank you ducklite. I figured as much with the buffets, we will be avoiding it with him, better safe than sorry. I've decided to bring pre-packaged "toddler food" that he eats sometimes, it's not the best, but it's safe for him and baby food pouches that he still eats. This way if I'm not comfortable with the staff at least he has something to eat.

Thank you for your response and advice!!!! Wish me luck, we leave on Saturday!

We have gone on Royal Caribbean and Disney with my son with severe tree nut allergy. Both have been fantastic in keeping him safe and offering him a variety of foods. We will soon be going on NCL. We always let them know ahead of time, but also go immediately when we get on the ship to talk to the chef. They are very responsive. I also bring some safe food with us-- mostly desserts and muffins because that makes me feel better :). Lastly bring at least an extra set of epi pens with you on board. Good luck and have fun!

DD is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She has sailed at least 15 times, mainly on Carnival with a few on HAL. I use 'nuts' to cover peanuts and tree nuts.

The allergy cooking area of the galley is apart from the regular line.

On Carnival--

Upon boarding we inform the MDR of her restrictions. She places her order at this time. Then each night a hostess will take her next day's choices. If you have ATD a slip will be given to your waiter.

Your child doesn't have to eat Mac n Cheese all week. They can order off the adult menu. Adults can order off the kid's

We avoid the wok. The pans are barely cleaned between uses and the lids never are cleaned while it is open.

For lunches-- have never seen nuts at the grill or pizza stations. The deli has a pesto that has pine nuts in it.

Only once have we seen nuts on the hot line. Be extremely careful around the desserts and salad bar.

There are now are allergy signs but

be careful of cross contamination on the buffet. Talk with the lido chef about ingredients. Be the first in line.

The soft serve is nut free.

For travel I have made up business card sized allergy cards. It helped tremendously in Italy. You can use google or buy online from selectwisely.com.

A mistake can happen anywhere, anytime. We had an issue at a local ice cream shop. Asked if a flavor had nuts, clerk said no. Ice cream had almonds in it. Gal said that those weren't nuts, they were almonds, urgh. She thought 'nuts' were only walnuts.

When in doubt I taste it. If I can't figure it out, she doesn't eat it.

DD also had issues with other legume related ingredients, including Xanthan Gum. Take to a nutritionist about what else to avoid.

Edited by SadieN

We always bring snacks with us.

For onshore we will bring some prepackaged things from home -- cereal bars, hard candy etc. Cereal boxes from the ship are also a good choice.

No fruit, vegetables, milk or meat is to be brought onshore.

At home and on the road avoid Chik FilA and Five Guys Burgers both use peanut oil. At least Five Guys is up front about it. ChikFilA has a light grey sign in two point font on their menu board.

Edited by SadieN

We always bring snacks with us.

For onshore we will bring some prepackaged things from home -- cereal bars, hard candy etc. Cereal boxes from the ship are also a good choice.

No fruit, vegetables, milk or meat is to be brought onshore.

At home and on the road avoid Chik FilA and Five Guys Burgers both use peanut oil. At least Five Guys is up front about it. ChikFilA has a light grey sign in two point font on their menu board.

CFA uses peanut oil only for the fried chicken. The waffle fries are done in canola oil and the grilled chicken has no peanut oil. After doing some reading, I learned that highly refined peanut oil like the oil that CFS uses is considered non allergenic. I have a 7yo who was allergic to peanuts until 4+ years old and then the allergy "disappeared". Nobody can explain why since peanut allergies are generally the type that gets worse and not better. Here are some informative links but I recommend talking them over with your doctor :

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Allergen-Gluten-Diabetic

http://thefoodallergymom.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/chick-fil-a-and-peanut-allergies-is-it-safe/

http://www.peanut-institute.org/eating-well/allergy/peanut-oil-no-allergens.asp

http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/peanut-allergy.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7299001

• 2 weeks later...
We have gone on Royal Caribbean and Disney with my son with severe tree nut allergy. Both have been fantastic in keeping him safe and offering him a variety of foods. We will soon be going on NCL. We always let them know ahead of time, but also go immediately when we get on the ship to talk to the chef. They are very responsive. I also bring some safe food with us-- mostly desserts and muffins because that makes me feel better :). Lastly bring at least an extra set of epi pens with you on board. Good luck and have fun!

My daughter has a severe latex and cross reactive food allergy. We've sailed on NCL three times so far and have been very impressed with their level of attention to detail. Enjoy your cruise!

While not a child, my husband has severe tree-nut allergies. Each night they bring out the next night's menu for him to review so they can modify any of the dishes should he want them -- for example, on another cruise line the escargot dish contains nuts....we would have never guessed! -- no problem, they just made two for him that didn't contain nuts. We have found Carnival to be just as accommodating. But always ask lots of questions.

• 4 weeks later...

We have sailed twice with my now 14yo who has peanut and treenut allergies.

She absolutely LOVES cruising because she can go to a "fancy Restaurant" and eat amazing desserts. This is in the dining room only. In the windjammer, we find the manager every meal...he gets a chef to show us which foods are safe and the staff brings a covered, brand new food tray out for her to take her items from. They never appear bothered by this- they want us to be happy. 2 different ships, different years and same excellent service! The airplane is another issue.....:)