art auctions - for real or not??

If you are looking for a fantastic investment then it is better to look elsewhere. However, there's nothing wrong with purchasing art at the art auctions if you truly love and want to display a piece. Just keep in mine that the bid price does not include a premium, shipping, and usually framing ... typically framing ends up costing more than lower priced pieces do.

That's true---you should only buy "art" if it's something you simply love. Art as an "investment" is a tricky thing, and what they're selling isn't "one of a kind"...

it's not like gold that has a set value and limited supplies. the stuff they sell are PRINTS...you can "re-print" as much as the market will bear!

If you LOVE a picture, buy it, hang it in your home, and enjoy it. Don't expect to buy something that will appreciate in value and put your kids through college! That won't happen!

The "art" professional tried to make us believe that a print was an "original" because they were still overseen by the artist and they commissoned them for prints and blah blah blah. yeah right They're not even framed.

I did see a few prints that I liked just because I liked them and if they had sold for 20 or 30 bucks I would have bought them. But a few sold for more than I was willing to pay (don't forget the charges after the fact that was the killer for me, taxes-shipping-surcharges) and then I decided to head off to some other activities before the auction ended.

If you want art go hit artist districts in town and start a collection of young up and comers that sell cheap before they are known or get a certified dealer and develop a relationship with them to purchase established artists.

• 3 months later...

I have purchased art at the onboard auction. Not for investment but because I loved it. Still hanging on my wall. Many of the artists are available on Ebay from folks who bought things they didn't like. I don't think you can resell them for the "list" price the auctioneer shares with you.

Sharon

• 1 month later...

We WON a piece of art on our cruise and when we it arrived at our house we had it appraised and it was worth $1200. All we paid for it was the $50 to have it shipped to us and the framing that we had done locally. So we put out about $250 total for our art we got off the cruise.

As investment, no. If you just want something to put on the wall there can be some good deals. You just have to be smart about it and don't let the fast talking and free champagne convince you that just have to have it. Also if you see a piece that you want sometimes it is best to talk to the staff after the so called auction is over and you may be able to actually get a better price. I have done that on a couple of Thomas Kinkade pieces that the people got pretty stupid bidding over during the auction. I picked them up for a much more reasonable price.

Heres somthing to remember when buying any art (My wife and I are collectors adn I am an artist myself)...

NEVER BUY A PRINT - PERIOD - The only way prints are ever considered valuable is if they are original etchings or press prints OR if it is a low number SIGNED print in a LOW (under 100) run. Lithographs etc are never worth anything. Even when people like Thomas Kinakade who make a fortune selling prints are never worth much on a secondary market. You can buy a Thomas Kinkade print for 2,000 from a kinkade store and turn arount eh next day and be LUCKY if you can sell it for 200!

BUY ORIGINALS FROM THE ARTIST - With these Cruises you are going to be visiting excelent ports. In these ports are shops selling local artists. I would NEVER buy art from a gallery or a shop at a port etc. Find the local artists yourself, talk to them, buy their art from them. Not only will you get a better prise but the art will mean more to you.

BUY ART AT YARD SALES, if you buy art at yard sales or thrift stores and its worthless youll be out a couple of bucks but have a piece you like. If you buy somthing at a yard sale for 5 bucks and its worth hundreds youll be very happy. Dont expect much from this but buy what you like adn youll never loose.

P.S. Bleave it or not a really good place to find emerging artists works for cheapo are at restaraunts that showcase art on the walls. Youll find great deals adn learn about new artists.

ALSO

People like Thomas Kinakade adn Bob Ross will NEVER EVER be remembered as great artists. Explore the art world adn discover great new artists that you can afford that may one day be remembered or if not at least youll have a piece you know the background of and really personally like.

Art should NEVER be an investment other than for your soul. If a piece does becoming worth somthing it just adds to your pleasure.

Edited by chasm4u

I always head to the art auctions on board, and especially if there is a real gallery on the ship. First it was just for the champagne:), but now I try to find out about art, and find myself enjoying this newfound interest a lot more at home. I have only ever bought one print, a take-off I couldn't resist, but have won more prints than I'll ever have walls to put them on. That doesn't include all the small ones they give you just for coming. And if you meet Amy from Park West (from the Carnival Dream earlier this year) you will be in for a great afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I always attend an art auction while on board.

I do it for two big reasons:

1 - I love the small prints they give everyone. I hang them in my bathrooms and hallways.

2 - I win something every time. When they say "Raise your bid card if you want to be eligible to bid for the item", Do IT! I won 4 large prints that are currently filling the walls of my house.

I enjoy it and the free champagne isn't a deterrent.

Like everything, keep a cool head and just enjoy yourself.

• 4 years later...

Last cruise I was on I bought 2 paintings and paid $500.00 for them and now my decor at home doesn't match the art. I tried to sell the prints and have found out that I can't really sell it. I did a search online for the artist and print name and all I can find is links to "the auction house", no other links. So it seems like the prints are only made to sell on the ships.

One point to consider, when they tell you that it is a giclee print, think "high quality ink jet print. There is no limit beside conscience which they have none of to the number of giclee prints that can be created of a picture.

By what you like if you must buy and do not consider it as an investment. BTW - the free "champagne" they serve is really really lousy.

DON

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...