Another question regarding Alaska on Mariner in May

Dear CC colleagues: Thank you for all of the wonderful feedback that I have received regarding attire for this trip. However, could someone tell me what type of shoes I should bring for the excursions. I am trying to cut down on heavy things and I am taking a quilted, weatherproof coat (or is this too much?) but I'm wondering what type of shoes would be appropriate for excursions? Will sneakers be enough or hiking boots or rain boots. I may end up looking ridiculous by wearing them on the flights as I tend to overpack and don't want to risk going over the allotted weight for baggage.

I have been on so many cruises, most for 14 days or more, but it seems as if this 8 day cruise may be the most intimidating one as far as knowing what to pack. I'm assuming that Regent will send info regarding this situation, but if someone has good advice regarding footwear off the ship, I would appreciate it. Once again, I appreciate all of the feedback that you can provide.

It depends on what you are planning to do. I took hiking shoes because a lot of our excursions were hiking. While you could hike with tennis shoes, there is a good chance they would get muddy in Alaska. If you are just doing things like whale watching, viewing the glaciers, etc, you wouldn't need the hiking shoes. You really don't need actual hiking boots.

Agree, that it depends on your excursions. I did not take my big, heavy hiking boots (the ones I would use for scrambling and big mountain climbing. I have a pair of low cut, waterproof "sneaker-like" hikers. They worked great. I did also bring sneakers because I am a runner. Many of the excursions (even the hiking ones) are fairly tame, so if you only had sneakers you would be fine. Unless of course you want to use the sneakers for other reasons (like running). As explained above, Alaska can be muddy.

I also brought 2 pairs of flats for the days on the boat and one kitten heel and one pump for the evenings.

Have a great cruise. Alaksa is so beautiful!

I took my Ecco hikers. Wore them on the flight with jeans. Was a PITA in security but made my luggage lighter.

George actually bought some Ecco hikers on sale at the trading post in Ketchikan, which was our first stop. That place has amazingly good prices.

Last time we were in Alaska tennis shoes worked out for us, we did buy some boots before cruising. They day we put them on for the helicopter to the top-they made us put on their boots. So the ones we purchased for this trip stayed in a locker.

I took heavy rubber rain boots on our Alaska cruise, because I'd needed them when I spent a week sightseeing with family around Homer. However, I never used them on any of the excursions during the cruise, despite rain and damp weather. I had Clarks walking shoes which were fine.