Late Flight on Embarkation Day

soubelle44

You could rent a car. Drive a little around the island. Have a good, filling dinner somewhere (if you like seafood, nico's or uncle's on pier 38 on the way to HNL), and then be sated and ready for that red eye...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We are renting a car from the airport on Disembarkation Day. In fact you are on the same ship and Roll Call as me!

We have already reserved our car thru discounthawaiicarrental.com. A shuttle to pick up your car will be available thru the car rental company whom you booked your reservation with. In my case it is Thrifty. See instructions they sent me:CRUISE BOOKING - You are booked with Thrifty at their Honolulu Airport location. They offer a free shuttle service to and from the pier for cruise ship customers. When you disembark from the ship, please call Thrifty at (808) 831-2266. Thrifty will then give you instructions on where to meet the shuttle. The latest shuttle back to the ship is 9 pm, please confirm this with Thrifty at pick up, and receive instructions on returning the car and getting shuttled back to the pier.[/color]

I would rent a hotel room for the day...trying to drive around and kill all that time is a misery...we did it once and will NEVER, EVER do it again! You have no place "to be"...it's just an awful way to try and end a great vacation!

Get a hotel somewhere, with a nice pool and enjoy the day. You'll have a place to store your stuff, a shower after that long day...it's well worth the price....I swear!

You will likely be OFF the ship before 10 am...probably earlier...it's a loooong time before your flight!

Edited by cb at sea

We are renting a car from the airport on Disembarkation Day. In fact you are on the same ship and Roll Call as me!

We have already reserved our car thru discounthawaiicarrental.com. A shuttle to pick up your car will be available thru the car rental company whom you booked your reservation with. In my case it is Thrifty. See instructions they sent me:CRUISE BOOKING - You are booked with Thrifty at their Honolulu Airport location. They offer a free shuttle service to and from the pier for cruise ship customers. When you disembark from the ship, please call Thrifty at (808) 831-2266. Thrifty will then give you instructions on where to meet the shuttle. The latest shuttle back to the ship is 9 pm, please confirm this with Thrifty at pick up, and receive instructions on returning the car and getting shuttled back to the pier.[/color]

This is exactly what we did in 2008. We drove to the Punch Bowl, Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Byodo-In Temple, North Shore then around the island to the Dole Factory. Then we went to Ala Moana shopping center to grab a bite to eat and shop then back to Thrifty for a shuttle to the airport. It was a fun day and we got to see lots of places we would not have been able to see if we did not rent a car. Plus, we did not have to search for someplace to store our luggage.

I would rent a hotel room for the day...trying to drive around and kill all that time is a misery...we did it once and will NEVER, EVER do it again! You have no place "to be"...it's just an awful way to try and end a great vacation!

For us, we were far from miserable--we were not trying to kill time, but were sightseeing. We had a very enjoyable day, a great ending to our vacation. We will do it again the next time we do that cruise.

Edited by pizzalady1