Booking a cabin forward, mid, or aft?

bzv143

We are Newbie river-cruisers looking at an AMA cruise next May, and want to know if it is better to book a cabin close to the forward, in the middle, or aft (where, I notice, the prices are less expensive--there must be a reason!). Most of you wonderful CCers have already given me helpful tips on starboard or port--Thanks ever so much! So now can you help me with this? Also, what are the benefits (other than saving about $300) to booking on the higher versus lower decks if both have french balconies?

Oh, and how quickly can I get to the morning coffee? ;)

We are Newbie river-cruisers looking at an AMA cruise next May, and want to know if it is better to book a cabin close to the forward, in the middle, or aft (where, I notice, the prices are less expensive--there must be a reason!). Most of you wonderful CCers have already given me helpful tips on starboard or port--Thanks ever so much! So now can you help me with this? Also, what are the benefits (other than saving about $300) to booking on the higher versus lower decks if both have french balconies?

On our Russian river cruise, we had the cabin on the lowest level forward as possible and there was virtually no movement like sometimes in an ocean cruise. However, one night they lowered the bow anchor at 3am, which woke us up. It was loud. Others, not near the anchor, did not hear it. I think there are anchors at the bow and stern.

location to those that pay more.haha,

Like mid ship to avoid loud noises(like above) but don t worry about movement,,not like ocean,,very smooth.

l like top deck,,just to avoid noise from those above,,which is VERY minimal,,just like better views in port.Lower cabins can sometimes have blocked views when docked.

Re.coffee...there is a coffee station in back of ship,,usually..I take travel cup and fill it there to take back to my room and enjoy view .:)

I was aft on AMA Amadante- it is a very short walk from one end of the boat to another! I loved my French Balcony and would have found the lower deck cabin quite claustrophobic.

You can get to the coffee as quickly as you can walk to the front of the boat! In our cruise it was up and running before 6 each day, with toast too ....I sneaked a cup back to the cabin each morning and no one seemed to notice or care. I took a little thermos with a screw lid so I wouldn't spill it but honestly didn't need that ..it is so smooth and calm. Such a joy to sit in my cabin looking out on the early morning river gliding by , with a coffee! I am envious of you just thinking about it.

we definitely are going to book a French balcony cabin, not a window crack cabin at the bottom of the boat. If our adult children come with us...we will stuff them there. :p

AussieTraveler--were you on the top cabin deck? And AlexandraCruiser, did you hear the clip clop of shoes above you from eary morning or late evening strollers/party revelers? I worry if we book on the Violin Deck(below the sun deck) that we will hear noise from above.

Has anyone stayed in a cabin at the "Back 'o da Boat"? If so, opinions of noise, bumpiness, crew revelry, etc?

My extended family and I want to book an Alaskan cruise for summer, 2013. I believe we're in agreement on NCL pearl, how far in advance is necessary to book for a June, 2013 cruise ? Any input would be appreciated. Thank You kindly.

My extended family and I want to book an Alaskan cruise for summer, 2013. I believe we're in agreement on NCL pearl, how far in advance is necessary to book for a June, 2013 cruise ? Any input would be appreciated. Thank You kindly.

You have probably inadvertently gotten onto the river cruise board when you needed to be on the NCL site. You can find them here : NCL

Have a great cruise.

The primary price differential on river cruises, other than the obvious, balcony/window size is noise level, perceived or actual. Forward cabins are near the bow thrusters, and the aft cabins are near the engines, both of which can get noisy going through locks and docking. If you are not doing much night cruising this is not really and issue. On certain itineraries, such as those in Russia anchors may be used on larger bodies of water, but, generally, they are not used on the rivers. Cabins below the kitchen or the lounge may be somewhat noisier, if you go to bed early(lounge) or sleep late(kitchen). Cabins near the lobby or the dining room can also be a bit noisier at times. We have been on 6 river cruises and have never had an issue with noise. Depending on the price differential, we generally book the lowest priced cabin available and have been upgraded a couple of times. On many ships the cheaper cabins, without balconies are larger than those with balconies, as the space for the balcony frequently is taken out of the cabin.

We were midship, middle deck on AMA and no issues at all. Coffee was just up a few stairs in the lounge area which is between the top two accomodation decks.

NewFirstTimer (and anyone else)--did you ever have a problem not seeing the scenery out of your french balcony since you were so close to the water level? I mean, sometimes, are the riverbanks so high that you cannot see over them?

we definitely are going to book a French balcony cabin, not a window crack cabin at the bottom of the boat. If our adult children come with us...we will stuff them there. :p

AussieTraveler--were you on the top cabin deck? And AlexandraCruiser, did you hear the clip clop of shoes above you from eary morning or late evening strollers/party revelers? I worry if we book on the Violin Deck(below the sun deck) that we will hear noise from above.

Has anyone stayed in a cabin at the "Back 'o da Boat"? If so, opinions of noise, bumpiness, crew revelry, etc?

but have on 2nd deck with people above us being loud near french balcony,,guess you never know.

Best thing,,try cheaper deck first(with French balcony) and see if it s ok...as far as noise,views,etc..Can always book more expensive(top) nest time..thats what we did..but,,hey,,ANY cabin is better than NONE.

Re,back of boat,,seem cheaper for a reason,,more fumes,noise,etc..

Coffee is available in both areas,,but earlier at lounge,,usually,and may depend on ea.ship. Now is they just had room service,or machines in ea.cabin,haha....PS..re views from cabin,,of course its better the higher you are,,but not THAT MUCH..always a trade off.;)

Cabin selection--avoid far aft or far forward. There are bow and stern thrusters used going thru locks--can be sleep shattering during the nite. Pat

While this can be true, our recent mid ship cabin was one of the noisiest ever as this ended up being the location where the gangplank was often positioned.

I like to be slightly forward of mid ship.

Is the morning coffee in the Main Lounge or the Aft Lounge? :o (Trying to plot the fastest course to the java!)

On Avalon it was both places. 24 hours a day as I remember in the aft lounge...cookies, fruit, coffee, tea etc. There was coffee and rolls and fruit in the main lounge starting at 6 a.m and full breakfast in the dining room at 7.

I was in 228, which is very near the rear on the Cello Deck, eg the "middle" of the three decks. I think the lowest deck did not have French Balconies, whereas I did. The room I was in was the lowest price for that deck. It was great! I do think I got a little more engine noise than my parents who were in 301, the top deck. But absolutely no noise from around me , day or night, none from the crew at all.

I find that most noise on a river cruise ship comes from passengers...not the ship. Yes, you are on a moving vessel and you will hear engines or feel thruster vibration. You will hear this no matter where your cabin is usually.

What you will hear is people slamming closet doors, talking in the hallway like they think everyone is awake, flushing the vacuum toilets, slamming the balcony doors and other things. Not much different than on a ocean ship.

Many ships have a walkway or running track on the top deck. Our Captain told people not to run before 8am. Most people obeyed.

Some cruise lines with REAL step-out balconies DO NOT take away from the room size. Scenic Spaceships do not. Some of the other lines however, do. You get what you pay for.

Is the morning coffee in the Main Lounge or the Aft Lounge? :o (Trying to plot the fastest course to the java!)

On AMA Amadante it was only available in the front lounge, not the rear. But seriously you are looking at a 30 second walk from front to rear !! it is NOTHING like a large cruise liner.

NewFirstTimer (and anyone else)--did you ever have a problem not seeing the scenery out of your french balcony since you were so close to the water level? I mean, sometimes, are the riverbanks so high that you cannot see over them?

With French Balcony on the middle deck, no issues seeing over the riverbank. Water level was at that time, near the top of the bank in most areas. I don't spend much time in my room, mostly spent in the main lounge or outside deck (when open) where there are the best views without spending mega bucks. Our cruise in September on Scenic is in Acquarium class at or below water level with just a balcony shoulder height. I'll still be up in the lounge or on deck.

As in all of life, there's a trade off IMO. We like being on the top deck (with French balcony) to see more of the views going by. However, we found on our trip on the Rhine that in the middle of the night there were loud banging noises above us. The next day we found out that it was the railings on the top deck being lowered to go under bridges. Once we knew what it was, it wasn't so bad. Didn't have any problems with early morning joggers, as we were up early to have breakfast before the morning tour left, so sleeping in didn't happen anyway.

We were also next to the last cabin aft, and we found the location very quiet as far as passenger noise went, as the only thing aft of the cabins was the library, and not too many people use that early morning or late evening. Didn't feel too much in the way of vibrations, etc.. Our next cruise (in 2 weeks!!) is also on the top deck. The night noise is more than made up for in better views, as long as you're able to pay the higher cost.

Ama is not consistent. You can have a great time or not. Each cruise is different...staff, tour guide, captain etc. changes often on their ships. On 2 b-to-b cruise, the entire staff changed...one week was good, the other was awful. As for the room, midship or forward has less vibration. Rear rooms are noisy. I would book the lowest level and save money. The difference in cost for the french balcony is not worth it. A french balcony is just a sliding glass window that opens. I paid $1500/week for a sliding glass window. I could have done so many other things with that money. Price for french balcony is outrageous.

Ama is not consistent. You can have a great time or not. Each cruise is different...staff, tour guide, captain etc. changes often on their ships. On 2 b-to-b cruise, the entire staff changed...one week was good, the other was awful. As for the room, midship or forward has less vibration. Rear rooms are noisy. I would book the lowest level and save money. The difference in cost for the french balcony is not worth it. A french balcony is just a sliding glass window that opens. I paid $1500/week for a sliding glass window. I could have done so many other things with that money. Price for french balcony is outrageous.

On some lines the price is $600..

I paid $1500/week for a sliding glass window. I could have done so many other things with that money. Price for french balcony is outrageous.

The price for a French balcony on most lines is affected by deck and location as well as length of cruise of course. Not sure why you chose it if you felt it was outrageous though? Was there nothing else left?

We have opted several times for a French balcony in the minimum available category but this time choose a fixed window cabin and decided to spend the money elsewhere.

Whether it is worth the cost is a matter of what one is willing to pay.

I agree. I love balconies on ships. French balconies are indeed...simply a large sliding glass door. If this is truly the only difference for your $1,500...it does sound excessive. Many cruise lines offer French balconies for less than that.

That would be a tough sell to me as well. For $1500, I'll go upstairs to take pictures. If it's not a true, step-out balcony where I can sit and enjoy being outdoors....the money factor wins.

We are in a similar situation. Can you review the highlights of port vs. starboard? I cannot find the thread. Thank you.

Archived