Bermuda 2017 America's Cup Race

renjrusa

A friend and I bought tickets to be on one of the spectator boats on May 29th. That's our only full day in port for our cruise. Looking forward to seeing the sailboats race by!!! :cool:[/quoteWould love to hear about your experience when in Bermuda....

A friend and I bought tickets to be on one of the spectator boats on May 29th. That's our only full day in port for our cruise. Looking forward to seeing the sailboats race by!!! :cool:

Cruise passengers will be able to see the boats race by from their ships. The cruise ships dock by the finish line. I took this of them practicing from the Summit. I hope you enjoy it. Personally I don't get it. They are not really sailboats. They are tech machines. I watched them race by a couple of times this past June. It was pretty boring. I intend to stay away from Bermuda next year during the cup.

61622a03a5018ba2b3690cd4aac2c00a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

• 4 weeks later...

I'm coming in on the Summit, leaving May 28th ... what kind of effect will the America's Cup have on my vacation? :\ Worried it's going to be a swarm of people. I know nothing about the cup .. is it only on a certain part of the island?

I'm coming in on the Summit, leaving May 28th ... what kind of effect will the America's Cup have on my vacation? :\ Worried it's going to be a swarm of people. I know nothing about the cup .. is it only on a certain part of the island?

The America's Cup will be based at the Dockyard. The America's Cup Village is at the Dockyard right behind King's Wharf where the Summit docks. The race will be in the Great Sound there and the finish line will also be close to the Summit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Crap, we are on the Dawn also in Bermuda 5/28, 5/29, 5/30. Will we be bombarded with crowds and traffic to go to the beaches? We were on the Dawn in October to Bermuda and got hit with hurricanes Matthew and Nicole. Boy do we not plan Bermuda cruises well.

Crap, we are on the Dawn also in Bermuda 5/28, 5/29, 5/30. Will we be bombarded with crowds and traffic to go to the beaches? We were on the Dawn in October to Bermuda and got hit with hurricanes Matthew and Nicole. Boy do we not plan Bermuda cruises well.

Those dates are qualifiers so it might not very bad your dates as the playoffs and final matches in June. If it is going to be bad, and I am not saying it is a given it is going to be bad, I don't know, it would more likely be bad for the final matches at the end of June. The races start at 2:00 and end at 3:30 or 4:00 so what I would do if I were there then and were not interested in the races would be to head out for the beaches or other places early. I don't think the traffic would be in the direction of the beaches until the end of the races.

• 2 weeks later...
Those dates are qualifiers so it might not very bad your dates as the playoffs and final matches in June. If it is going to be bad, and I am not saying it is a given it is going to be bad, I don't know, it would more likely be bad for the final matches at the end of June. The races start at 2:00 and end at 3:30 or 4:00 so what I would do if I were there then and were not interested in the races would be to head out for the beaches or other places early. I don't think the traffic would be in the direction of the beaches until the end of the races.

Thank you for that response. Just booked 6/11-6/18 on the Breakaway. Didn't know about this race until after I booked. Will definitely head out early.

• 2 weeks later...

ONLY reason we're going on the Dawn. dh wants to see it the full 3 days and he's thrilled to be going. Wishing the Breakaway would have worked. This cruise is just about the destination. Bermuda looks beautiful though!

ONLY reason we're going on the Dawn. dh wants to see it the full 3 days and he's thrilled to be going. Wishing the Breakaway would have worked. This cruise is just about the destination. Bermuda looks beautiful though!

Going to see the race Dawn was also the better choice over Breakaway because Dawn docks at Kings Wharf. The America's Cup Village is the next thing south that dock and the race course will also end close to the south end of King's Wharf. Summit docks at King's Wharf and I had great views of the practice runs last June. Breakaway docks at Heritage Wharf which I don't think will have those great views from the ship.

I took this photo from the aft of Summit docked at Kings Wharf.

8900343e4bf698eaf20f583835d8b550.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Going to see the race Dawn was also the better choice over Breakaway because Dawn docks at Kings Wharf. The America's Cup Village is the next thing south that dock and the race course will also end close to the south end of King's Wharf. Summit docks at King's Wharf and I had great views of the practice runs last June. Breakaway docks at Heritage Wharf which I don't think will have those great views from the ship.

I took this photo from the aft of Summit docked at Kings Wharf.

8900343e4bf698eaf20f583835d8b550.jpg

Saw your pic. My dh is beyond excited to watch it! He regretted on going to San Fran to see the last one. Looks like a beautiful place. Never been to Bermuda.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bernews: ‘video flythrough’ showing a simulation of what the racecourse and the America’s Cup Village will look like -

SBtS

Thanks for posting this. Any Idea on any Entertainment at the America's cup village..