Considering Viking Spirit Alaska 2019

countess5

Hi to the Viking cruisers!

We have never sailed Viking, as you can see RCCL and X are our favorites! Just love cruising.

Thinking of the Spirit August 2019 through the inner passage. Would love to hear comments plus and minuses.

As always CC is a great sharing place. Thanks in advance. Hope I can return the favor on this RCCL or X threads. :D

Hi to the Viking cruisers!

We have never sailed Viking, as you can see RCCL and X are our favorites! Just love cruising.

Thinking of the Spirit August 2019 through the inner passage. Would love to hear comments plus and minuses.

As always CC is a great sharing place. Thanks in advance. Hope I can return the favor on this RCCL or X threads. :D

Viking has not yet sailed Alaska yet, so there isn't much to be said about right now about its cruises in Alaska.

However, there are plenty of existing threads here that talk about the Viking experience in general. Here are just a couple:

Save

Have you taken an Alaska cruise before? If not, I strongly recommend that you book an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Hubbard and Icy Strait Point are nice enough, but nothing beats GB [and most GB cruises include one of those too]. Unfortunately the national park licenses for GB were allocated long ago, so Princess and HAL basically have a lock on this itinerary.

Have you taken an Alaska cruise before? If not, I strongly recommend that you book an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Hubbard and Icy Strait Point are nice enough, but nothing beats GB [and most GB cruises include one of those too]. Unfortunately the national park licenses for GB were allocated long ago, so Princess and HAL basically have a lock on this itinerary.

We have never sailed in Alaska and thank you for that information. I need to do more research and read the Alaska threads. So to do this itinerary it would be Princess and HAL only.Most likely would sail Princess.

Thanks again

We loved our cruise on Coral Princess. Note that we generally prefer Celebrity (and now Azamara, and soon I hope Viking Ocean!). Coral Princess is a relatively small ship, built to Panamax standards [long and narrow to fit in the old locks of the Panama Canal] and has multiple public viewing areas that make her perfect for Alaska. See the link in my signature below.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Alaska 5 times and it is fabulous!!! Princess 4X, Celebrity 1X.

We love both; personally, we enjoyed Hubbard Glacier more than Glacier Bay and were able to go all the way down the Tracy Arm Fjord to see Sawyer Glacier which we also really enjoyed. As the other poster said, you will want an itinerary/ ship that is allowed to get into the glacier areas. Enjoy!