Disembarcation at Port Everglades - Porters?

knippsel

Are there porters stationed at baggage claim in Port Everglades (Cunard)? Our recent experience in Tampa had porters right at baggage claim who whisked those with beaucoup bags to a special (shorter, quicker) line for customs and out the door. Is there the same at Port Everglades? If so, is there a fixed charge, or how much would be a proper tip?

Thanks,

Kathy

Are there porters stationed at baggage claim in Port Everglades (Cunard)? Our recent experience in Tampa had porters right at baggage claim who whisked those with beaucoup bags to a special (shorter, quicker) line for customs and out the door. Is there the same at Port Everglades? If so, is there a fixed charge, or how much would be a proper tip?

Thanks,

Kathy

Yes there are, grab one as you get off the ship if you need help with your luggage. They walk you thru Customs and take you to a shuttle, cab, or Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no set charge for a tip.

How much I tip depends not only on how many bags we have but how long they spend with us and how helpful they are.

Keith

This is my experience as well. Obtaining a Porter is worth every penny, in my opinion. They will get you through Customs/Immigration as quickly as they are able to do so.

Depending upon the amount of luggage and the number of people (up to 2), I have tipped anywhere from $20-$50 to get us (or just me) to my car in the Mid-Port Parking Garage.

Thanks,

Kathy

Forgive my ignorance. I speak French (rather well as a matter of fact) and so obviously recognize the word beaucoup.

I am also aware that we anglophones are very prone to importing and misusing French words and phrases into our everyday language (for example en suite, encore and double entendre) but I have never come across the phrase 'beaucoup bags'.

What exactly are 'beaucoup bags' and how do they differ from ordinary bags?

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Forgive my ignorance. I speak French (rather well as a matter of fact) and so obviously recognize the word beaucoup.

I am also aware that we anglophones are very prone to importing and misusing French words and phrases into our everyday language (for example en suite, encore and double entendre) but I have never come across the phrase 'beaucoup bags'.

What exactly are 'beaucoup bags' and how do they differ from ordinary bags?

I know very little French and do not know the meaning of "beaucoup". I believe the poster who used this term was meaning that they had quite a large number of pieces of luggage.

I know very little French and do not know the meaning of "beaucoup". I believe the poster who used this term was meaning that they had quite a large number of pieces of luggage.

In the army, "Beaucoup V.C." translated as "Lots of bad guys" and was really really clear to every grunt.

Thanks! I had been thinking $10 for the 2 of us with 2 -3 bags, but maybe that's not enough?

Tipping is a very personal matter. One ought to offer a gratuity based upon the quality of service and, I think in the case of using a Porter, how important that service is to you.

For the smaller amount that I have tipped, I had 2 bags plus a carry-on. He took me to my car after getting us through Customs/Immigration extremely quickly, was very chatty, and loaded the bags into the trunk. For the largest amount I have tipped, my traveling companion walks extremely slowly, we had 5 pieces of luggage (including carry-ons) plus one filled HAL blue bag, and it took longer to get to the car because of her need to walk slowly. Thus, the gentleman was out of the available pool of Porters for an unusually long time, I felt. He also was very friendly and loaded my car. I just felt he had earned what many on CC will think is a too large tip.

Do whatever feels appropriate for you.

In the army, "Beaucoup V.C." translated as "Lots of bad guys" and was really really clear to every grunt.

As I said we all import words from foreign languages which we then misuse and beaucoup bags was not a phrase I had come across and so thank you for explaining the historical connotation which resulted in it being used that way in US English'.

My question really was a genuine question as the phrase beaucoup bags does not translate into lots of bags to a francophone, in that phraseology, the literal translation is 'lots bags' with the word beaucoup apparently being an adjective describing the features of a single bag.

In my ignorance I had concluded that 'beaucoup bags' were probably either those suitcases with lots of external, often insecure, pockets or those dual bag arrangements where a smaller bag (often a cabin bag) is purchased as a pair with a much larger bag and is designed to clip on the same transport (wheel / handle) system as the larger bag in order to make life easier when going to the airport.

Clearly I was wrong and I thank you for explaining not only its use in US English but also why it is used in that way. We live and learn.

As an amusement on the subject of words being imported into other languages, when you next come over here to France, do not, whatever you do, order a Filet Mignon. Unless you are familiar with the terms used on our menus, you are extremely unlikely to get what you think you have ordered.

Kindest

CM

As someone from south Louisiana, with French heritage (thru Nova Scotia) of many generations ago, I wish I could read and speak French. The little French I do speak is Cajun French, much different from what you speak. Merci Beaucoup = Thank You, Very Much

And now, please explain what a Filet Mignon is to you, as you have aroused my curiosity. Recently, I have seen it as Filet on menus. the Mignon part has been dropped.

Merci

As someone from south Louisiana, with French heritage (thru Nova Scotia) of many generations ago, I wish I could read and speak French. The little French I do speak is Cajun French, much different from what you speak. Merci Beaucoup = Thank You, Very Much

And now, please explain what a Filet Mignon is to you, as you have aroused my curiosity. Recently, I have seen it as Filet on menus. the Mignon part has been dropped.

Merci

Filet Mignon in France can be any of pork, veal or beef and the menu normally clarifies which of these it is. In my experience it is most commonly found as filet mignon de porc which is medallions of pork served in a very nice sauce.

This link shows you a photo of what filet mignon de porc looks like on the plate.

http://www.france3.fr/emissions/meteo-a-la-carte/recettes/le-filet-mignon-de-porc-un-classique-des-tables-francaises_455405

Absolutely lovely dish, but most definitely not what a US citizen would be expecting on their first visit to France.

Apologies all and particularly the OP. My genuine question seems to have taken this thread off topic.