JFK Layover Aer Lingus - Jet Blue

madra2112

We are cruising out of San Juan on Sunday November 1st, and intend flying in from Ireland via JFK on Friday October 30th.

Aer Lingus have a partnership service agreement with Jet Blue, so we can book one ticket. We have two options available to us, a one hour layover or a four hour layover at JFK.

I'm presuming an hour would be cutting it very fine, and am inclined to play it safe and go with the longer one, particularly as neither of us have been in JFK before, and wouldn't know our way around.

As far as I can see online, both airlines operate out of Terminal 5.

Any thoughts or observations would be welcome.

Personally, I wouldn't take the one-hour connection if there's a reasonable alternative. 60 minutes is exactly the official Minimum Connection Time, and even a small delay could make things very stressful.

If the four-hour connection means that you still arrive at JFK at 1425, and then depart for SJU at 1815 (arriving 2209), then that would seem to me to be a much better option.

However, if the four-hour connection you're referring to involves departing JFK for SJU at 2359, then I'd be less keen on that. Not knowing what you're seeing makes it difficult to advise. Not all one-hour connections are the same as each other, nor are all four-hour connections.

Thanks Globaliser, it is indeed the 14.25 - 18.15 timeline I'm looking at, the Aer Lingus website is also offering a 15.25 SJ departure.

We will be taking the 18.15 option - There's enough stress on travel day without adding to it!

To the OP:

Bravo for asking about the connection time BEFORE buying your ticket. It's such a refreshing change from those who would buy the ticket first, THEN come back and say "what do you think about this?"

Yes, and then come back complaining how "mean" and "harsh" posters on this forum are, when they point out possible problems.

Agree with the others. Even though (I believe) you will pre-clear CBP at DUB, that doesn't help if there is a delay for another reason. JFK is a large airport and it can be a cluster for lack of a better term. You made the right choice for sure. Have a great cruise.

Have you researched flying to BOS rather than NYC? JetBlue has several to San Juan.
No, only 2 a day. And both of them too early to take a connection from DUB.

In contrast, JFK has 6 a day.

In any event, it is hard to imagine a connection being much easier than the one that the OP is doing. Arriving at JFK T5 as a domestic arrival, and then connecting to a domestic departure in the same terminal. It's not the smallest of terminals, but a gate change did once send me from one end of the building to the other and it's not that big.