Return flight from Rome to CLT questions

TSUmom

We will arrive in CLT at 4:30 pm and our flight out to DFW is the next morning so we have booked a hotel for the night. My question is when we check our bags in Rome do we need to check them just to CLT? I understand we will have to pick them up and clear customs/Immigration is that correct?

I believe the above answer is incorrect. With an overnight layover, the airline will not through check/through tag your luggage to your final destination. You will need to bring it with you overnight to the hotel and check it in again the next morning.

Edited by frugaltravel

I believe the above answer is incorrect. With an overnight layover, the airline will not through check/through tag your luggage to your final destination. You will need to bring it with you overnight to the hotel and check it in again the next morning.

If it's on the same ticket, they will have a tag put on them that says FCO-CLT-DFW. You pick them up at CLT and recheck in the morning for your next flight.

I said the bag would have a tag reading FCO-CLT-DFW and that OP had to pick up the bag at CLT and recheck in the morning. I did not say the bag would travel through to DFW. IME, the bag will have all the cities on the tag, even though it's not immediately traveling to the final destination. Perhaps different airlines handle this differently, but the gist of the answer remains the same; OP must pick it up and recheck at CLT.

Edited by 6rugrats

I thought that might be the case. That is fine with us, I would rather have it with me than chance it "getting lost"

I thought that might be the case. That is fine with us, I would rather have it with me than chance it "getting lost"

I have never seen a piece of checked luggage that spends the night with the passenger have a checked luggage tag showing the final destination of the following day. That was my main point - you won't see DFW on the initial bag tag.

Edited by frugaltravel

I have never seen a piece of checked luggage that spends the night with the passenger have a checked luggage tag showing the final destination of the following day. That was my main point - you won't see DFW on the initial bag tag.

This piqued my curiosity, as I was pretty sure our bags have always been tagged through even with an overnight connection. As it happens, the bag I used on our trip to Europe last summer - with 2 overnight connections on the return - still had its tag on it, so I was able to check... And I was right: tagged IST-YYZ-YQB, with Turkish Airlines tags so had to be tagged like that when we checked in at ZRH.

This piqued my curiosity, as I was pretty sure our bags have always been tagged through even with an overnight connection. As it happens, the bag I used on our trip to Europe last summer - with 2 overnight connections on the return - still had its tag on it, so I was able to check... And I was right: tagged IST-YYZ-YQB, with Turkish Airlines tags so had to be tagged like that when we checked in at ZRH.

That was a long return trip.

Yes, I've had the same thing. Bags tagged with origin airport, connecting airport and arrival airport. Such as LHR-IAD-SEA, although we had an overnight at IAD and picked up bags there and dropped them off in the morning.

Edited by 6rugrats