First time flying out of the US

GORDONCHICK

I've never flown out of the US, so I have a few questions. We fly out of OKC to LAX for a connection to YVR. I know we don't go through customs at LAX to leave, but my understanding is that we need to do something and show our passports, and I don't know how this works or where to go.

I just need someone to explain it to me without being condescending or rude. If you can't do that, please don't respond. I'm not stupid. I've just not done it before.

I've never flown out of the US, so I have a few questions. We fly out of OKC to LAX for a connection to YVR. I know we don't go through customs at LAX to leave, but my understanding is that we need to do something and show our passports, and I don't know how this works or where to go.

I just need someone to explain it to me without being condescending or rude. If you can't do that, please don't respond. I'm not stupid. I've just not done it before.

First of all, just for your own knowledge (and others who read) - customs and immigration are different things, though often lumped together incorrectly in terminology. "Immigration" is your passport check; "Customs" is checking what you bring in to the country. Upon arriving in a country, you usually go through "Immigration" first - they check your passport, your visa (if applicable), and stamp it. Then you get your luggage and go through "Customs", where you declare anything like food or goods beyond duty limits.

OK, so, that aside - when you check in at OKC, they will likely check your passport. As a US citizen, they're basically just making sure you have a valid one. Then, before you get on the second flight in LAX, they'll likely check it again when you hand over your boarding pass at boarding. They are very vigilant to check it because if you show up in Vancouver with incorrect documents, and Canada turns you away, it's the airline's responsibility to get you out of Canada.

For example: let's say I need a valid visa to go to China (which, as a US citizen, I do). I check in with American Airlines at Kansas City and they don't check for a visa, or don't realize that it's expired, and send me on my way. I get to Chicago and board my next flight to Beijing, again without a check. I get to Beijing without a valid entry visa and try to enter China. China says "no", and then it's up to American Airlines to get me back. Not cheap for American Airlines...

Now, if you are flying out from Vancouver back to the US, there's something interesting - the US has immigration and customs pre-clearance at Vancouver and other major Canadian airports. So you clear immigration and customs before leaving Vancouver, and arrive in the US like a domestic flight (rather than entering and having to clear immigration/customs in LAX or whatever airport is your first port-of-entry in to the USA)

Sorry for being long winded.

Edited by Zach1213

Thanks, Zach. I thought everything would be checked at the gate, but I think someone told me to go to the desk at the gate and they would do "something" showing a pre-boarding "check"? I don't know where I heard, or think I heard this.

And I'd much rather you be long-winded and accurate, than short and incomplete!

Thanks, Zach. I thought everything would be checked at the gate, but I think someone told me to go to the desk at the gate and they would do "something" showing a pre-boarding "check"? I don't know where I heard, or think I heard this.

Usually if you check in at the airport in OKC, or even if you check in online but still go to the desk in OKC to check a bag, they will check the passport and the boarding passes will spit out with a "DOCS OK" statement along the bottom - Documents Okay. Then, they'll check it again at the gate in LAX when you hand over said boarding pass to make sure you still have the passport in your possession as you get on the plane out of the country.

On the LAX-YVR flight, you'll probably also get your Canadian declaration/customs form that must be filled out when you hand over your passport at immigration in Vancouver. It looks like this - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Edited by Zach1213

On the LAX-YVR flight, you'll probably also get your Canadian declaration/customs form that must be filled out when you hand over your passport at immigration in Vancouver. It looks like this - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Same form you now have to fill out for cruises going to Canada and yes they do check. We had people on our cruise notified they could not get off the ship in St. John for a past DWI, they could sail but not get off the ship at the port of call. Yes the Ships computer is updated and they got a "Bong" instead of "Bing" when sail and sign card was scanned trying to get off.

Edited by Brighton Line

Many times, when flying internationally, you won't even be able to complete online check-in, as they want to physically check your passport before it's issued. So, don't panic if this happens, it's normal.

You simply complete what you can online and then finish check in with the agent at the airport, who will look at your passport and issue the boarding pass.

Many times, when flying internationally, you won't even be able to complete online check-in, as they want to physically check your passport before it's issued. So, don't panic if this happens, it's normal.

You simply complete what you can online and then finish check in with the agent at the airport, who will look at your passport and issue the boarding pass.

Thanks. That's very helpful. So, will this show up before I try to check in for the first flight? Since they are connected, I would normally have to only check in once.

Thanks. That's very helpful. So, will this show up before I try to check in for the first flight? Since they are connected, I would normally have to only check in once.

You'll probably go to check in and get a message that you can't, and to see an agent at the airport. That's the norm, so don't fret

Passport checks are painless, don't fret.

When you arrive at YVR you will be restricted to an arrival area that leads directly to Canadian customs and immigration. Once you clear that you will exit as in any airport in the world.

Do note that Canadian authorities are sticklers for "forbidden" items. When their guidelines say no scissors with sharp points they also mean NO SCISSORS. Don't be tempted to buy a ULU knife in Alaska. It will never make it home. We had a heck of a time bringing back a totem walking stick one time. A supervisor finally let us carry it on. (That was back in the days prior to 9/11 when things weren't so strict either.) There are also some food items that are prohibited so for your own edification check out their web site.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the ease of the entire process but do be aware that on your return you will go through both Canadian and US CPB and it does take a while. Just leave plenty of time and I hope to goodness you have planned a few days in one of North America's greatest cities.

Have a great cruise.

I would normally have to only check in once.

You will have to check in twice...no big deal.

This happened when we flew USAir from MHT to London because it was booked as an International flight, even though we were connecting in Philadelphia. In Philly we got checked again for the real International leg.

One thing good happened...our bags were free to Philly because it was a waypoint to London.

Steve

You'll probably go to check in and get a message that you can't, and to see an agent at the airport. That's the norm, so don't fret
This. Relax. You do not need to panic wondering what's wrong with your reservation. You do not need to call up and listen to endless repetitions of Rhapsody in Blue, only to get a CSR with barely intelligible English who can't figure out what's wrong and can't check you in either. Why can't that check-in failure message message just say "We can't let you do online check-in because we need to check your passport at the airport"?

</rant>

Nowadays, this "Flyer Friendly" airline has a phone app that lets you do check-in by taking a photo of your passport. You still get that uninformative message if you try to check-in on the web. Once they've seen the passport, you can then do check-in without having to show the passport at check-in if you travel internationally (on United) occasionally. They will still do a passport check at boarding. If you're infrequent, you get to do this check-in/show passport ritual more often.

We've always been able to check-in online, but we can't check our baggage at the outside kiosk. That has to be done at the ticket counter where our passports are checked. We don't have any direct flights to Europe out of our airport so we're always taking a domestic flight first. We've had to show our passports as we board the international flight, but it's quick and easy.

Is a beautiful airport so enjoy the art as you walk to the customs/immigration area once you arrive. Everything is well designed to keep people moving, to make the experience as pleasant and stress free as possible.

Lots to do in the departure lounge when you leave to go home.

Enjoy your trip.

You do not need to call up and listen to endless repetitions of Rhapsody in Blue, only to get a CSR with barely intelligible English who can't figure out what's wrong and can't check you in either.

Gee, I don't have a clue which airline this could be....maybe the same one with a phone agent half a planet away who insisted SNA-SFO-HNL was an international itinerary and transferred me?

Is a beautiful airport so enjoy the art as you walk to the customs/immigration area once you arrive.

Agree VYR is beautiful. But I recommend not dawdling if you arrive around 3-6pm. It's "rush hour" for Asia arrivals...delay a few minutes, end up behind a 777 load of arrivals, and it can make for a much longer wait in line. I've waited more than an hour in the Immigration queue on several occasions. (Typical is 15-20 minutes and just a few minutes one time when they opened an additional lane right in front of me).

It is a simple process. At Check-in counter, the service rep will check that the documents are valid (passport) to get your boarding passes. Since you are connecting in LAX to get to YVR, that is where the Service rep will do a quick check during boarding. Upon arriving in YVR you will have to go through Canada Border Services Agency (Customs and Immigration) with a filled out declaration form (a link from an earlier poster). When everything is good Enjoy your time in Canada.

Also on your return in to the US through select Canadian Airports, you will go through US Customs and Border Protection (US Pre-clearance) instead of doing it when you arrive back in the US. so the flight will be treated as a domestic.

Edited by Gizmo88