Ideas for my hubby's bday while in key west

lovemy4dogs

My hubby and I are sailing on CCL Freedom in April, we just happen to be in Key West for his huge milestone bday (half century for him:eek:)! Anyone got ideas of things we can do for his bday while in port at Key west 10-6pm? he's not key lime pie fan (I am though), he does like history but literature, not so much.

I thought about just walking around key west and taking our pics at southern point.

I saw mention of a lighthouse, he would LOVE that, he loves lighthouses!! please tell me more about this lighthouse, cost, distance, etc. Will he be able to go inside and take pictures? lunch- loves all seafood, esp lobster & shrimp!

Although he is in shape, he does tend to get tired so will research more on trolley threads later. Crowds though are not good, he will not go into port if he knows its overly crowded. I know its a Monday but how crowded will it be with how many other ships at port?

BTW he has NO idea about most of detail of this trip, ports, cabin, and activities will all be surprise for him!!!

Thanks to all those experienced in KW!!

We love the lighthouse. I don't know the current charge but that gets you a self-guided tour of the lighthouse keeper's cottage and you can climb the spiral staircase of the lighthouse itself for a spectacular view for photos when you reach the top. By the way I find the steps are more difficult coming down than going up because for some reason it makes me a bit dizzy.

You are free to wander around the grounds and take as many photos as you want.

In addition the Hemingway House is very near. That is another interesting tour and you'll also get to see the famous and unique six-toed cats that reside there.

Two other historic places are the Mel Fisher Treasure museum that features Spanish treasures salvaged from the Atocha ship. This museum has a store where you can purchase jewelry made from Spanish coins. Also there is the Truman Summer White House. That tour is like stepping back into the early 1950s.

I almost forgot the Shipwreck Historeum. Key West was once very wealthy because of materials salvaged from ships that wrecked on neraby reefs. Those who boated out to rescue the ships were entitled to the cargo. They were called wreckers. A feature oif this museum is the wooden tower you can climb and enjoy its excellent view of Key West.

A free activity is to walk along the docks of the historic schooner wharf area. Lots of dockside restaurants there and it is very scenic with all the boats, yachts and schooners. It is perfect for photo ops.

I second Peter's suggestion but if you decide to stay on land, and he is a history buff, then in addition to Hemingway's house, you should check out Truman's Little White House. It is a relatively quick tour but interesting to see circa 1940s furnishings and imagine the relaxation he enjoyed while in Key West.

Of course if you really want to "surprise" him, you might consider stopping in at Bourbon Street Pub, 801 or one of the other gay bars where he can truly be the center of attention!:D